Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-04-2004, 08:20 AM   #1  
There is no try, only DO

Default need a little support

Hello,

I've not posted to this thread before, so, let me introduce myself. I'm Heather, 30, doing SBD. Started 9/29 at 298, went down to 296.

Well, this morning I decided to weigh myself and instead of being down another couple pounds I'm up to 299!

I keep telling myself it's just a water fluctuation or something, but really, I'm not buying it. I'm angry and frustrated and I just want to cry so bad. Normally I'd quit at this point and say to **** with it, not worth it. But I don't want to do that, I want to get this weight off and not fail yet again.

Sometimes it's hard to look around and see everyone else's success when you're getting no where, or worse, gaining for all your efforts. I am really happy for those that are losing. I'd just like to be able to say the same for myself. I'm trying so hard, and I feel so let down by this gain.

I'm determined not to let this derail me, but I guess I just need someone to tell me it's ok and that this happens. I'm just really depressed about it and having my own little pity party. Sorry for the negativity, hope I didn't bring anyone down.

Heather
lil_cara_mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:51 AM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Heather, are you exercising? It's normal to show a weight gain if you're exercising because you could be building muscle, which weighs more. I had about a 5 lb. weight gain for the first 3 to 4 weeks I began exercise. But I still noticed my pants getting looser. I was toning up, even though I weighed more.

Another thing could be, well, ahem...that time of month? I always noticed about a 3 pound increase everytime that lasts throughout the whole ordeal.

Don't get discouraged. There could be a very good reason why the scale is showing more that doesn't mean your body's rebelling against your efforts. Though it can make it seem like it. Losing weight takes a lot of time and patience. And it may even be best to stay off those scales for awhile if you tend to get discouraged by them. Make a date with the scale in a few weeks and put them away for awhile.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:03 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Heather, your body has normal fluctuations especially of water weight. If you aren't exercising, you should definitely start. If you think it may be your food somehow, you should do a calorie check one day just to see if you are in a reasonable amount, sometiems you can be eating too little as well as too much.

I know it is frustrating but keep with it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:34 PM   #4  
There is no try, only DO

Hi almostheaven and nelie,

Thanks to you both for the support.

It was a rough morning but I'm getting over it. I really wanted to go OFF plan and go to Friendly's after hubby's appt. today. He wouldn't stop the truck. I was kind of mad at him, but then I knew he was trying to protect me from myself. I would have blown the 6 days of self discipline that I've worked so hard at thus far. I'm thankful that he said no, and knew it was something I would regret later. I might be mad at the scale at the moment, but that's better than being mad at myself and loaded with regrets.

So, BAD day emotionally, but still OP.

I haven't started exercising yet, that's something I need to lose a bit of weight to actually start. I've got a lot of pain in my back lately and I'm afraid of pushing it. I know I should still be doing something light until I actually LOSE some.. but I'm not sure what's good to do. Any suggestions for something I can do at home?

It's not TOM either.. that was the first thing I did lol. I ran and checked my calander knowing it was way too early. Still a ways off for that.

I think nelie might be right, maybe I'm not eating enough. I eat often, but the calories are way low I'm sure, especially compared to how I used to eat. My body probably does think it's in the middle of a famine. I'll have to think of a way to get a few more calories in while staying OP.

Thank you again for the support, I really needed it today.

Heather
Old 10-04-2004, 05:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 226/222.2/140

Height: 5' 9"

Hi Heather,

I'm glad you're feeling more upbeat now. From reading your post it seems like you weigh yourself a lot - maybe once a week would be better?? I agree with someone else - if the scales bother you, why not stay off them for a while. You could pick a piece of clothing you want to get back into, try it on every week, you'll know if you are doing OK if it gets looser.

Good luck

Lee
EternalDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 05:14 PM   #6  
Tons of fun!!!!

hey girl, it is very normal to fluctuate especially in the beginning, and good for you for not stopping and binging, i dont know if you have ever heard this but it takes 21 days to make something a habit....like an eating plan or exercise, or quit smoking anything like that, and i remember when i started my plan back on april 30, the first 3 weeks were the HARDEST, so just keep up the good work and you will be fine, maybe try weighing yourself every other week at first so you dont get discouraged, and try weiging yourself at the same time every time, like when you first wake up. good luck to you....
hippiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:29 PM   #7  
There is no try, only DO

Hi eternal & hippie,

Thank you both also for the support. I'm going to take your advice about the scale. I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow morning when I get up since it will be officially a week that I've been on SBD, and then I'm locking the scale in the closet.

I set a goal to lose 10 lbs. for October, and I'm not weighing again until Oct. 31st. I don't need to be stressing over these numbers. What I need to do is stay focused and keep to my plan, regardless. I *know* that I'm eating better and healing myself inside even if the scale is being a big jerk.

I also know I do need to find some form of exercise that's light enough for me to do until I can really get more active. I've decided to have my son wake me up when he gets up for school in the morning, and I'm going to take that time to do some stretches and some work with dumbells that I bought tonight. It's a start.

Thank you all again for your support during this ucky day.

Heather
Old 10-05-2004, 11:12 AM   #8  

Heather you are on exactly the right track! Good for you.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:57 PM   #9  
Tons of fun!!!!

stretching and weights are a wonderful start, befoe you know it you will be full of energy and ready to take on the world.....just stay strong and keep going!!! scales really are a pain in the hiney!!! keep up the good work!!
hippiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:52 AM   #10  
There is no try, only DO

Thanks funnie and hippie

My scale is officially LOCKED IN THE CLOSET!
Old 10-08-2004, 04:18 PM   #11  

Hi, Heather. I haven’t read all the posts, so maybe I’m repeating advice here.

When I was in losing mode, I only weighed myself twice in the course of a year. In fact, when I first started, I didn’t weigh myself at all. I’ve yo-yoed so many times before that I knew I wanted to lose weight for good this time. To do that, I knew I needed to take the focus off of what the scale said and focus more on the positive changes I was making in my life and for my health. I started exercising and kept my eating the same. After four months when I could tell by the fit of my clothes that I’d lost a little weight (remember, I hadn’t changed my eating habits yet), I weighed myself. Then I started to count calories and eat better and continued exercising. I did not weigh myself until 9 months later. I didn’t need to scale to tell me whether to be in a good mood or not over my efforts. I KNEW I was doing positive things for my health (i.e., exercising, eating better) regardless of whether some scale reflected a ½ lb. weight gain or even a 2 lb. loss.

Only now, as I’m pretty much maintaining (although I’d like to lose another 5 lbs.) have I gotten to where I’m weighing myself several times a week. It seems to keep me on track in this MAINTENANCE stage.

So, in short, I would recommend that you go ahead and pat yourself on the back for the positive changes you are making for your health and don’t look at the scale again for several months. If you really feel you must consult the scale with more regularity, try to limit it to once every two weeks or so. This way, when you do step on it and if you’ve been on program, you’ll see a significant loss.

Good luck!
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote