Old 09-30-2004, 08:53 PM   #1  

Smile I'm Pregnant!!!!

Well, I have been feeling kind of poopy for the last couple weeks, so my husband suggested a pregnancy test just o "rule it out"... and I couldn't believe it when the line turned BRIGHT PINK, on not one test, but 2!!!

I am really happy because I have always wanted children (at least 1 or 2 anyway) and I am still kind of in shock about the whole thing!!

Now more than EVER, I have to start focusing on my health...no more drastic dieting (which isn't healthy anyway)...

I am 27 so I have youth on my side, but I am really concerned because I am over 100lbs overweight and I know the doctor is going to point that out at my first appointment and probably deem this a high risk pregnancy...

My hubby is away on business at the moment (he was here when I took the test though!) and we are going to join the YMCA when he gets back so I can excersise, especially swim, which is really good for pregnancy (and otherwise)...

I am just in shock and happy and a little nervous because of this excess weight!! If anyone can offer any advice or suggestions or alleviate some concerns (such as they were overweight and had a healthy baby etc)...it would be really appreciated...

I estimate I am between 4-6 weeks pregnant right now, so miscarriage is also a big concern at this stage but I am trusting in God and praying all goes well...
Take care everyone!!
Tara
Sick_of_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Aww,.Wow that is soo great!!! I have always wanted children too, but I think my weight is getting in the way, I am also 27 :-)
I dont have experience with being overweight and pg, but I have seen some "big" ladies carry and deliver perfectly healthy babies

Congrats!
*hugs*
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:17 PM   #3  
and Cody too!

S/C/G: 265/245/165

Height: 5'6"

Congrats! How exciting.

I have a daughter, but I wasn't overweight when I had her. My only advice is to get on prenatal vitamins right away, and I think you should talk to a doctor before continuing any exercise thing... although I think that you should be okay. I would just ask though.

Congrats again, and let us know how the pregnancy goes. I am going to try for another child next summer I think.
JennasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:24 PM   #4  

I was about 100lbs overweight when I was preg for both of my children. I actually lost weight during the preg and the doc said it was great as long as the baby was still growing. I also have a friend who was well over 200lbs overweight and was just fine. I would keep up the workout, but take it a bit easier. I worked out the entire way through my first, but not my sec (bed rest). I had very easy delivery for both. I wouldn't worry to much, just keep in mind what you eat while preg. you want to have enough milk, and stay clear of the sweets and coffee.

Blessings and congrats!
bella23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Congratulations! What exciting news!

My highest pregnancy weight was 220, which wasn't great, but the doctor never said anything. I walked a lot during the pregnancy, and that helped.

I remember my high school gym teacher being pregnant and gaining 10 lbs. She delivered a 9 pound baby. So I know you don't have to gain a lot to have a healthy baby.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:39 PM   #6  
Live for the Moment!

Congratulations!

This must be such a wonderful time for you and your hubby! And just think, this will even help you stay on track with eating well as you'll need to cuz you're preggy. Just look at how well Dana (Charbar) is doing - she'd be a great inspiration for you right now!

Again, my congrats!
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 11:31 PM   #7  

Thank you everyone for your replies....well, I completely freaked myself out when I made the MISTAKE of looking up *overweight and pregnant* or something similar online....and of course they made it look like I am doomed for all these complications and miscarriage (God forbid) and everything else tragic under the sun

Now I am completely nervous and freaked out and it was nice to read your replies....
Thanks for your congratulations and support...
Tara
Old 10-01-2004, 08:20 AM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Congrats!!! How exciting!! Tara - please don't stress about your weight right now. Stress can be worse for you then your weight. I brought my weight up with my obgyn and he tells me not to worry about gaining weight. Stay healthy and your body will gain as much as it needs to.
Right now worry about rest!! Get as much as you can.
I hope you stick around here - it's really good to focus on that after the baby is born you still need to lose the weight. I really believe that sticking around here has helped me stay healthy. Plus - this place is just for me.

I am so happy for you!!

God Bless you and your little bundle that's growing so fast!!

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:42 AM   #9  
beautiful

i was over weight with both of my pregnancies and both kids were over 9 lbs at birth. the first has some health problems but it was a VERY easy labor and delivery. the 2nd was a horrible labor and delivery a month early but she's as healthy as can be!

so congratulations to you! my only advice is to find a fat friendly doctor. my docs were great and listened to my gripes about being fat and never once said anything bad about me being so overweight. they were very supportive.
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 286/228/155

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations! This is so exciting!
skylark826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 09:52 AM   #11  
There is no try, only DO

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I was 312 pounds and 27 years old when I got preg. with my daughter in 2001. They did classify me as "high risk" because of my weight, and because I have high bp (weight related). I quit smoking, took it easy, and ate extremely healthy. I lost 40 pounds while I was pregnant and I have the most beautiful little girl I ever could have dreamed of.

Of course, once I stopped breast feeding I went back to my old habits and put the weight back on *bang head on desk*.

Don't stress so much, just be sure to take good care of yourself and your sweet little bundle will turn out fine .

Wishing you all the best!

Heather
lil_cara_mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 10:22 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Congratulations!!!!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 10:58 AM   #13  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I was 32 years old and weighed 211lbs when I was pg with my son. I gained 44 lbs which I lost in the first 3 weeks after delivery. It was all water, baby (9lbs 4 oz) and all the other stuff (placenta etc). I had to have a C-section, not anything to do with my weight but because my pelvis is too small for such a big baby. I was not a high risk pregnancy, did not develop high blood pressure or gestational diabetes. I got through the whole pregnancy fine except that I left work a month early because my back was too sore for the type of work I do (nurse in a very heavy, chronic care area). My back was sore because all 44 lbs were sitting out in front (my belly was HUGE). So don't freak out that this is going to be difficult, likely you will have no complications related to your weight. congrats!!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 11:07 AM   #14  
Want to see less of me

S/C/G: 260/255/185

Wow! Who needs the internet! I have been searching the same thing "overweight in pregnancy" .. everything sounds so life threatening. It is nice to hear it straight from someone who has experienced it .. now I know I should not stress (not preggo yet ... but hoping soooon)

Congratulations TARA!
Orangecupcakez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 12:28 PM   #15  

Thanks for all the replies ladies! I am really excited, though of course a little nervous...as this is my first child and I keep seeing scary stuff on the net...

Now I have to worry about post partum psychosis...GEEEEZZZ.....

Well..ever since I found out I was pregnant 3 days ago, I have been doing SO good...I'm not concentrating on losing weight, I am just focusing on eating SUPER healthy and nutritious, and keep the portions to sensible...

I read on some websites that when youre pregnant you don't even have to up your calories at all (just vitamins etc) until you are 7 months pregnant and even then you only need to up your calories 2-300...so I'm not worried... I'm not "dieting" persay, but I am eating lots of romaine salads, soy protein (I'm a vegetarian), whole grains... I got this GREAT cereal that has loads of vitamins in it including folic acid...but I am taking prenatal vitamins too...

The first trimester is supposed to be the most important one, so I am doing everything I can...I just pray for a healthy baby...though I confess I would LOVE a girl, but I would be happy with anything I get!!
Thanks for listening guys...I was thinking I should maybe find a pregnancy forum, but so many people have been so great to me here, I appreciate the words of congrats and of support etc...
Tara