Old 09-30-2004, 01:28 PM   #1  
Jennifer

Default What's That Sound? Oh, Just My Heart Breaking...

Just got my long-awaited fancy-dancy new Tanita Body Fat Scale, and the worst has happened.... I'm a full 15 pounds heavier on this thing than on my old scale. I honestly feel like bawling.

While I know in my brain that I've still LOST the same amount, it just is making me rethink my relative progress toward my ultimate goal, and that, well, just sucks.

Onward and downward, of course, but I just had to share with somebody.

I'll revise my signature when I can bring myself to do it.
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 01:35 PM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Oh man!!!! That is just terrible!!!! I'm sorry! Don't let it play mental games with you!!!

You have still lost what you lost!!!

You will be increasing your start weight too. You need to show your progress!!!!

(((BIG HUGS!!)))
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:35 PM   #3  

That is exactly why I refuse to buy a new scale, even though mine is a piece of crap. I just don't think I could handle it if it said a 15 or 20 lb. difference. I also hate to weigh at the doctor's office for the same reason. I'm perfectly happy to stay in denial, and believe that what my scale says is the truth! I'm sorry you got such a shock today but please don't let it get to you. Just pick yourself up, re-adjust your numbers and continue on like always. You'll make up that 15 lb. difference in no time!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:40 PM   #4  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I had the same thing when I bought my new scale but I like knowing for sure that this is accurate and that I can go use the scale at the dr's and the gym and know that they will agree with mine. This way I don't have to say oh that scale is wrong, mine is right or whatever. The truth hurts sometimes but it is always the truth.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:52 PM   #5  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Have you checked your scale with the doctors? It's just a thought but maybe your new scale is the one that is off. Either way don't let it get you to down. You are doing great and will continue to do great.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:17 PM   #6  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Red face

Aww, Jengirl, that so sucks!! I had the same thing happen to me when I received my new Tanita body fat scale!! And, with thinking in line with Howie's, I went back to the doc's to compare, and sadly, the new scale was right. Those Tanitas are good little scales, I'm almost sorry to say.

It's an awful shock, and probably bad timing, as you were poised to get out of the 220's.....and I'm really, really sorry this happened to you. It just kind of is what it is, though. I agree with Jen that it's better to know the truth -- I'm definitely in the Knowledge is Power camp, but damned if it isn't hard to swallow sometimes. My heart goes out to you because it just sucks, but in the great scheme of things you're just going to look back on this and say, "Oh well, that was like 80 pounds ago, ancient history.....it sure sucked but it didn't kill me."

And Sandi's absolutely right: your loss remains. The fact remains that you have lost 29 pounds, and that's an enormous accomplishment, and one that this minor setback does not alter one bit. I know it really does suck, but you are so rocking the weight loss/fitness world, you are going to blow right by this little hiccup......I just know it. I send you big, squeezy, eye-popping hugs.....
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Yuck. That sucks.
On the bright side though when you get to your ultimate goal you get to say you lost 115 pounds and not just 100 lbs.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:05 PM   #8  
I climb mountains!

Dawnyal, you're cool! I like your attitude -- and couldn't agree more!
Old 09-30-2004, 04:39 PM   #9  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Well it's a good thing teapot that you are not me.. if I had that news I would have quit - and said this sucks - I deserve better!! I would be so pissed. Some things are just not fair.
Now for the question - how can we make this a good thing?
Maybe if you knew your highest weight - what it really was - you would not have started dieting... you would have said that's too much - I can't lose that much! Well you now know you can.. and you now know that 21 lbs is more then 21 lbs.. it's how you feel. How did you feel about yourself 21 lbs ago - compared to now? that is what really matters.... and you know I'm right!!

I had a similier situation. When I was 11 weeks pregnant I had an ultrasound to confirm my due date - it ended up being 2 weeks later.. so I was only 9 weeks pregnant - which meant I had to be pregnant another 2 weeks then I thought!! man, was I pissed!! all I could think of was another 2 weeks of morning sickness. You get over it. I have an extra 2 weeks of having my baby so close to my heart

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 05:34 PM   #10  
Jennifer

Thanks, you guys. I knew you'd help talk some sense back into me. It really was (and is) a psychological shock -- just means 200 is farther away than I had come to believe -- but it doesn't *materially* change anything. It's not like I suddenly look 15 pounds heavier. I do think the new scale is probably accurate. I weighed myself on an old scale in the bathroom at my office yesterday and got a similar reading, but I sincerely thought that one was wrong.

I like your interpretation, Dawnyal! Now *that's* a good way to look at it. I can say I lost a Kate Moss .

There was a time when I may have taken this as a reason to give up, but the way I look at it, this is my life now -- the exercise and healthy eating has become part of who I am, so there's really nothing to "quit."

Now, down to brass tacks. Sarah, did you change all your past weights in Diet Power? Seems like the easiest way to go...

Thanks again, you guys. Sorry if I've been a bit of a downer lately.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

awww, I'm really sorry Jennifer. *hugs*
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:41 PM   #12  

That is the reason I trashed my scales and just let weight watchers do it, I don't get worked up over the week and it's always the same scale.

Good luck and you can get the extra off, just think, by x-mas you will have forgotten about it!
bella23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 11:11 PM   #13  
I climb mountains!

Hey, Jen -- well that's the thing. I've been thinking about it, and I'm a little concerned. You can't change your starting weight. Nor, to my knowledge can you go back and change your recorded weights in the past so that you show a weight "gain" long in the past. I am going to urge you to post your question at the Diet Power forum, in the technical support section of their forum -- I did not have the sense to do that at the time that I was going through this, and, ultimately, had to start over from scratch with a new name. In my case, it was very early in the game, so I didn't lose a lot of history -- for you there's got to be an alternative workaround. Go, ask, fix, and then come back and educate me!

By the way, there's a thread on Diet Power in the Buyer Beware forum -- just whether it's better than FitDay.......you should go and throw in your two cents!

I'm really glad that you've regained your equilibrium -- a very unsettling and disturbing experience it is -- and you recovered beautifully, I must say. It's all in the attitude, I believe that with all of my heart -- and yours is so wonderful I just like to be near you to enjoy the warmth and positive glow. You go, girlycakes.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:45 AM   #14  
Jennifer

Sarah,

Just as an FYI, I was able to change my weights in Diet Power. It's an extremely tedious process, but it's possible (hey, just like dieting itself! ). For each day since you started, you have to go to the food log and change the date to be the first day you signed up, then leave the food log & change your body weight for that day. I just added 15 pounds to everything and reset my target, and I'm good to go!

Now for the hard part -- getting my head used to this new number.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:21 AM   #15  
I climb mountains!

OMG, Jen, you are so much smarter than I will ever be! I am truly impressed. I'm so glad also that it all worked out for you -- within DietPower, that is. You just have to keep reminding yourself that you didn't "gain" that weight, and that you just started out with a different number than you'd thought. Imagine how I felt when I learned I was in the 280's when I started rather than the 270's! Not a big deal NOW, but at the time I felt like you might as well have told me I was 300+. And then the folks at 300+ are aching for the day when they can drop to the 290's........it's just all relative, and perspective sure is a changing thing. I feel so much more confident and sexy at 218 on the way down than I did last time I was at this weight (and on my way up!) It's truly just a number -- head stuff.

YOu're going to be just fine, and you're going to continue to work out and lose and work out and lose and work out and lose. Cuz that's just what you do now.