Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-18-2004, 07:31 PM   #1  
I lose I win

Default What can u do while on tredmill?

I dont have anything against, the tredmill, i could go on for hours seriousley, but i mean a tredmill is indoors what can u do while your on it?? I've tried reading..to hard! I've tried music..gets old, and the tredmill in my house isnt anywhere near a tv, so what can u do????
yearninforsomeburnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 08:40 PM   #2  

Can you buy a small TV for the room in which you keep your treadmill? I think this is the best bet for variety. I find that listening to my favorite music gives me an extra boost of energy while on the treadmill, but I have to change it frequently or it will get boring.
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 06:05 AM   #3  
it's always something

I've also thought about getting a small tv for my treadmill. My treadmill is in a corner, and I could attach a tv bracket to the wall. Perhaps a cheap tv/vcr combo. Yeah, that would be an excellent excuse to watch soap operas again

I love to listen to music, and I don't get bored because it's the only time I do listen to music, other than in my car. I don't own a stereo, I just have my little cd walkman. I burn my own CDs with music that is fast, happy, and good for walking to.

I recently burned a "book on tape" to CD and enjoy that on the treadmill. It would have to be a pretty darned good book, though, to carry that off and not become boring. Language CDs are also good, if you have an interest in learning a new language.

I also love to daydream, mentally shop for clothes or redecorate my house while walking

My treadmill also faces a large window with a nice view. I raise the window, put a box fan in so I stay cool, and the view is better than facing a plain wall. This makes time go faster for me. If I'm bored and hot, then I'm miserable and every minute feels like 10. I tried facing a mirror, but that wasn't as motivational as I hoped, lol.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:42 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I listen to a radio station... The one I like is hip hop, not that it's my favourite kind of music but it has a very good beat, then there's the news, and the stupid commercials... I let my mind wander and make to do lists in my mind. I actually love jogging when I'm stressed or in a hurry, because I think hard and it makes the time fly...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:39 AM   #5  

Books on tape from my local library are what got me through, especially in the beginning. Get yourself engrossed in a good book and only allow yourself to listen to it while on the treadmill. You may even find yourself jumping back on it twice in one day just to see what is gonna happen next in the book! I highly recommend it!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:55 AM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Generally a book or music works for me, but then, I can listen to music just about anytime. I make my own CDs with what I call "good running music". You know, like "My Sharona", "Centerfold", "Hot Blooded". The younger gals are probably wondering what the heck are those? LOL!

On nice days however, like 60 and sunny today, I go outside and run. I still take along the music, but can get in some change of scenery too.

I also do the daydream bit Suzanne. I imagine I'm crossing the finish line of a 10 mile, $250,000 prize money payout race, and the cameramen are all clammering to snap my picture.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:35 PM   #7  
GmaTo8

I like to watch mini-series on dvd/vhs while I walk. I'm currently watching Scarlett, the sequel to Gone With the Wind... and only watch it while walking. Books on CD are great, too! There are lots of choices now available on CD compared to just a few years ago. I hung one of those 3-tiered baskets close-by so I can keep my discman, CDs, remote, extra batteries, gum, etc. at hand. Once in awhile, I just tune out everything and enjoy the nothingness of it.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:44 AM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Another thing I remembered that I used to do on the treadmill...

After seeing Julia Roberts in "American Sweethearts", where she had on that tummy shirt...I soooooooooo wanted that tummy. So I looked at my (not so Julia Roberts' like, stretched out, el blimbo) tummy and pictured Julia Roberts' tummy instead and kept chanting "Julia Roberts, Julia Roberts, Julia Roberts, Julia Roberts, Julia Roberts". That's one way to pass the miles. LOL!
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 12:09 AM   #9  

I'm 40 years old, but I am a proponent of Nintendo while I am on the Treadmill. I play Monopoly which only requires me to push a button now and then to shake the dice and buy properties (so it doesn't challenge my limited abilities to walk and do hand motions at the same time). If I play against 6 other computer players, the game lasts about 40-45 minutes, the perfect length for my walk.

I also watch TV, but have trouble hearing the TV over the treadmill motor. I have found a portable walkman-type radio that also plays the TV audio, so I can put on the TV with my headphones and not have to play the TV so loud and irritate my roomate.
JanetG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:30 PM   #10  

I'm a gamer, myself, Janet. I love my PS2, and I play horror/survival/adventures games like Resident Evil series, Silent Hill series,Tomb Raider series and Grand Theft Auto series.

But I don't think I can play and walk on my treadmill. I also can't read while on my treadmill because it makes me sick and dizzy

I fortunately have a cheap tv in my workout room, and I listen to music w/ my earphones. That way even if there is something boring on I can watch that and listen to music.
okidoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:58 PM   #11  

Since I live far away from my family, I use treadmill time to have long catch-up talks with my mom. I got one of those headset phones so my hands are free. Mom doesn't mind if I am huffing and puffing a bit now and then, and it's a great way to make the minutes fly by. I guess this only works if you are walking on your treadmill, though -- I can't run and talk!
spores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 03:19 PM   #12  

I don't know how accurate the calorie monitors are on machines, in this case my ellipitcal, but I burn 100 less calories in an hour when I watch TV vs listen to my favorite music. I mix it up for variety, but I found that watching a movie is a good way to get through the time. Especially if there is suspense, it will take your mind off the task at hand. Some ideas are if you have a laptop with a dvd drive you can watch it where you exercise, or get one of those portable dvd players that are meant for the car.
markgm is offline   Reply With Quote