Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-26-2004, 10:40 PM   #1  

Default feeling tired during dieting

im exercising and eating light to lose weight. but why am i feeling extremely tired? mostly eating low-carb.

has anyone else ever felt completely TIRED by following a diet?
battleofthebuldge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 10:49 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

People who follow Atkins tend to report being tired so that could be partly it. Are you getting enough sleep? Lack of sleep may affect you more once you start exercising.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 11:18 PM   #3  

good going with the exercise!
maybe you're tired because your not getting enough calories or carbohydrates. your brain needs bloodstream glucose to function properly. and to echo what nelie said you need sleep to help you recover from your execise. take care of yourself because feeling tired, hungry or just generaly unwell will not help you get healthy, lose weight or stick to your plan.
maybe if you post more details people could give you some suggestions.

good luck
gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 03:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Carbohydrates are the brains source of energy, they're also one of our main energy sources overall. People on very low carb intake diets sometimes can be more tired than some.

You may not be getting enough iron if you're protein intake is down as well. Are you eating enough dairy? Low-fat dairy, especially yoghurt (i have found anyway) is a good source of protein for me.

Sleep is another factor, make sure you are getting your 8 hours a night

At what times are you feeling most tired? It's normal to have a "slump" period in the afternoon, mines usually around 4-5pm.

Is your calorie intake sufficient to cover your body's basic needs? You need to consume a minimal amount to maintain your body's function! I think it's strongly recommended you dont go under 1000 calories a day, and most people can go to 1200 and still lose at a decent rate.

Are you pushing yourself too hard? Exercise is well and good, but over-doing it can be just as detrimental to your health as doing none at all!

Ummm...thats about all I can think of offhand. I follow a relatively high-carb/low fat "diet" myself. I'm not on any plans, just altered my own eating habits to healthier options. I tend to eat a LOT of fruits & veges, as well as wholegrains and a lot of low-fat dairy (yoghurt, skim milk etc). So i guess it's in a sense almost the total opposite to you lol. But i hope some of these suggestions help, and if all else fails, go see your doctor!

Livi
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:28 AM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I have a very similar diet to you Livi. The only difference is I don't have that very high of a carb intake. I try to watch those as well. Not keep them extremely low mind you, but not as high. I didn't want to end up a reverse Adkins person. LOL

I try to balance out everything overall, keeping sat. fats, calories, carbs and sodium lower while increasing the fiber. I too go through lots of fruit and veggies. But for milk and yogurt, I opt for the Hood Carb Countdown brands.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote