Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-24-2004, 11:56 AM   #1  

Question Should I weigh in?

I have been doing very well for the last week. I haven't weighed myself in almost 2 weeks (I think)... Do you think I should weigh myself to check my progress?

I am very scared to get on the scale and not to see any improvement... Someone please give me some advice!!!

Last edited by Shelle_G; 09-24-2004 at 12:47 PM.
Shelle_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:47 PM   #2  
Queen of Wishful Thinking

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 5'6

This is really something you need to decide for yourself, since only you know how the scale will affect your motivation. Personally, I weigh myself every morning and have done so since I started trying to lose weight. For me, if I go days or weeks without weighing myself, my weight tends to creep up. I need the accountability the scale provides. For others, though, the scale only interferes with their motivation, and they do better only checking occasionally or not at all.
2sw33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:52 PM   #3  
Samantha

I personally try to only weigh myself every week. (Although I sneek a peak more often then that!) Remember though, your weight will fluctuate.
Samantha2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 01:27 PM   #4  
mom2_5

I know they say you should weigh only once a week but I weigh every morning just like 2sw. I know I shouldn't but I think if I didn't I would be more upset at weeks end to see no results and expect some. This way I know what to expect for the most part and it keeps me accountable.

At some point you are going to want to weigh, you just need to figure out when that will be and how often. We are all here for you no matter what the outcome.

sw/230
cw/206
gw/140
wildblue_yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:30 PM   #5  

I DID IT!! I weighed myself and lost 2.5 pounds since 09/14/04!!

That is a little over 1 pound a week!! Right on track!!

Last edited by Shelle_G; 09-24-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Shelle_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:04 PM   #6  
Samantha

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Samantha2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:23 PM   #7  
mom2_5

WAY TO GO SHELLE!!

Kim
wildblue_yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 04:56 PM   #8  

Funny. I went to the doctor on Wednesday and the scale there said I weighted about 5 pounds more than I thought I did. I was so upset. I didn't know how I had gained that weight! I was all mopey about it, and wound up eating quite a lot of junk food the next couple of days. I returned to the doctor for a follow-up check the following Friday (just two days later), and lo, and behold, despite the junk food, I weighed 6 pounds less than I had on Wednesday on the same scale.

If the scale is all that's telling you if you're succeeding or failing, it's not a useful tool. Find some other meaures of success (how your pants fit, how much you can accomplish in a workout, how tight your watch is, the amount of laundry you can carry up the stairs at one time, whatever) so you're not a slave to the scale.
spores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 06:45 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I used to weigh in every Friday morning like clockwork. But being down to the last 10 or 15 pounds, I find I'm weighing every morning. But then I was letting things get a little slack and just maintaining, then went on vacation. Now I'm kicking in a new determination to shed the last few.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 07:36 PM   #10  

During the first year I started trying to lose weight, I only weighed myself twice and those weigh-ins were several months apart. I have yo-yo'd so much in my life that I told myself this time would be different. I was not going to focus on the scale and let it determine how well I was doing. I figured that if I was trying to eat right and do a regular exercise routine that I WAS doing well regardless of what the scale said. And you know what? The weight did come off, and I spared myself the angst of the regular weigh-in. It just didn't make sense to me to weigh-in every week. What if it showed a .5 lb. gain even though I'd been busting my butt? I'd probably have been discouraged no matter how much I told myself about the body's normal weight fluctuations, water weight, etc.

When the fit of my clothes indicated that I might be close to where I wanted to be, I weighed myself. By that time, the scale showed a 25 lb. weight loss!! Now that I'm kind of in maintenance (I write "kind of" because I'd like to lose 5 more pounds ideally), I weigh myself several times a week. I find that weighing often in this semi-maintenance stage helps me to stay accountable and prevents the weight from creeping up on me.

I'd hold off weighing for a while. What could the harm be in waiting a few weeks? As long as you're doing what you're supposed to be doing (eating right, exercising), the scale will show a loss and imagine how much happier you'll be to see a bigger weight loss after a few weeks.
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 12:52 AM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmelo
What if it showed a .5 lb. gain even though I'd been busting my butt? I'd probably have been discouraged no matter how much I told myself about the body's normal weight fluctuations, water weight, etc.
Yup. Everyone's different. For some, it's best not to. I was the exact opposite. If I saw the slightest gain, it motivated me more. But what might motivate one might be detrimental to another. You just have know what you're capable of and know deep down how you'd probably react.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote