Old 09-22-2004, 03:07 PM   #1  

Default 120 pounds to go.. can you relate?

Hi all ... I am a newbie... yup finally decided that being fat was not good for my health and so here i sit day 4 on LAWL and i am having it hard.. i am in carb withdrawl as well as salt withdrawl.

Can you relate? last night at 1am i wanted to drink the olive juice out of the jar i felt so deprived.. will this last for much longer?

Listen any advice.. guidance.. positive words of encouragement will be most gratefull.

My goal is to have a family portrait done .. my 4 year old deserves pictures of her mommy and she has none.

Looking forward to meeting some new people.. here are my stats:

Starting weight:297
Prestent weight:290

Goal:175
dutchy_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 03:12 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't know what LAWL is but I can certainly relate to having a lot of weight to lose. I would highly recommend staying here, there is a lot of knowledge and support here.

You have made the right step in that you know you need to lose weight and have at least started on a plan. Have you added in any exercise? I find exercise to be very motivating and it is one of the things that keeps me on track.

Take one moment, one hour, one day at a time and you will get there.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 03:23 PM   #3  

Hi there!

Great to hear from you... LAWL aka La Weight Loss.

I starting walking about three weeks ago .. i'm not able to go to far but i am making babysteps i try to walk around the block usually takes 12 mins and by the end i am hurting .. carying 300 pounds is not easy.. i bought a good pair of walking shoes and they help a lot.

I go for a weight in tomorrow i am hopeing to be down some i need that boost!

Its nice to hear from someone who has similar goals .. i have a hard time relating to someone who has only 20-30 pounds to lose.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:55 PM   #4  
Just Me

I've heard of LA weight loss but being from California and now Colorado, I don't think it is popular in either of those areas, it seems to be more of an east coast thing? I'm not sure.

Trust me, I understand the carrying 300+ lbs around Once you build up your stamina, you will be able to go further and be able to do more. You have definitely made a good start.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:09 PM   #5  
Taking care of me.

Welcome to 3FC and CONGRATULATIONS on starting your weight loss journey.

I can definitely relate. I need to lose about 150. When I think about all the changes I need to make, it freaks me out. So, I'm working on one thing at a time. Since I was a totally sedentary person, my first priority was starting to move. Next will be the food. I read this forum for a while before I joined and it motivated me to get started. I'm taking one day at a time, remembering my successes and letting go of my failures.

Hope to see you around often.
MoveMoveMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:15 PM   #6  

Hi Marcia, Great to hear from someone with the same goals and similar weight.... I know about the moving thing i started walking three weeks ago and i thought i was going to have a heart attack the first night ... my husband was worried sick but every day i get better and not so tired with my walks.... I know i am on the journey of my life i want to be here tomorrow and the day after etc ... i was heading down a one way road to nowhere.

Lets keep in touch!!
Kerry
Old 09-22-2004, 04:15 PM   #7  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Hi Dutchy,

I don't have 120 to lose but I started out with 87 lbs to lose, which I think qualifies for a signficant amount. I am down 12 lbs since starting south beach on 8/22. Now I have 75lbs to lose. I feel the same way you do about having to lose a bunch. We can do this. When I started South Beach, it took me about 5 days to a week to get past the no carb, sugar or dairy thing. Good luck with your weigh in tomorrow and keep us posted.

Annie
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:12 PM   #8  

I can definitely relate. I know by experience that totally changing your lifestyle and sticking to it is one of the hardest things in the world. I am new here too, starting over after losing over 70 pounds and gaining back nearly all of it. I know what helps me is taking one day at a time. If I think about how much weight I actually have to lose, I get overwhelmed. But, each pound is a milestone, and eventually those pounds add up. I joined a gym in Feb. and that really helps too. Good luck!
Mommyofone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:11 PM   #9  

Hi ladies, I just wanted to jump in here because I've been where you are now and I can totally relate to how overwhelming it all seems right now. But all of you are on the right track, especially the exercise department, which is so, so important. Just keep taking one day (or hour or minute if that's what it takes) at a time and you will get there. Please never, ever give up because what you are doing now is so worth all the hard work. I commend each of you for making the decision to get healthy and embarking on this long, hard journey. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:16 PM   #10  

Hi everyone, I can completely relate to everything you all are saying...
I can't believe I got to this point. I have ALWAYS fought with my weight, and in the end I have ultimately failed, even when I have done things the "right" way (sensible eating, excersise, etc)...I am 27, married, no kids yet, and I am so sick of being fat and unhealthy...a couple of years ago I lost a lot of weight and got down to about 180 and in a size 12 which for me was like a supermodel---and to think some people on here are STARTING at size 12!! (jealous!)

Anyway, I haven't dared weigh myself lately but when I went to the doctor about a month ago, I was about 275, so it's safe to assume I am about 280, possibly a few lbs more....and I am SCARED. This is the heaviest I have ever been and I know if I don't do something about it, I am only going to get bigger.....eventually losing my chance of having children, and of course the added bonus of type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, joint problems, back problems, breathing problems and every other obesity related illness right around the corner at any moment....

Right now, thank God, I don't have any illnesses related to obesity ( I am hypothyroid but I take medication for that)...and I REALLY want to keep it that way...

That of course, isn't the only reason...the other is vanity, wanting to look good and feel good in my own skin...my husband is really in shape and is very good-looking (even though I am biased, it's true)...and I know he loves me as I am, but I know that he would find me sexier if I were thinner and felt better about myself (he hasn't said that, but cmon, I'm realistic)...
He is very supportive, but it's also hard for him to understand where I am coming from, as he hasn't really ever had to struggle with his weight...
This has completely affected my self esteem...man, I remember when I was slinkin around in my size 12's and I was on top of the world, felt better, looked GREAT, had so much more energy, got out a lot more with friends and my husband....and WHAM...I went off my plan and slowly the weight creeped back on until I was like, HOLY SH**....and now I am the heaviest I have ever been...

Sorry, I am going on forever, but basically, I understand. It is SO daunting to me to look at myself and say, WOW, I need to lose AT LEAST 100lbs JUST to be in a somewhat respectable range---and even then I would be 180 again, my ultimate goal and a healthy weight for my heigh (about 5'3) would be about 130, though I would be in HEAVEN at 150....It is so daunting and I know I should just take it 5lbs at a time, or even one day at a time if I have to, but you ladies understand I'm sure...

Anyway, I just wanted to hop in and see if I can be of any support or help to any of you... I started getting serious today and have eaten 1400 calories for the whole day...now if I can just get in some kind of excersise...
my hubby is going away on business for a couple of weeks soon so that will be GREAT for me, even though I'll miss him, it will be much easier to focus only on myself and to *jump start* my new habits without having to focus on him and his meals, schedule, etc...

Wish me luck gals, and good luck to all of you!
Sick_of_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:39 PM   #11  
Just Me

Welcome Sick of this.

With whatever you are trying to do the easiest way to accomplish a big task is to break it down into smaller more manageable tasks. That is why my current goal is to weigh 299 because I want to be out of the 300's for the first time in 10 years. I'm so much happier at my current weight than when I was at 350 or so. I know when I am at 270, I'll be happier with my weight than I am now. So I don't think of it as "wow its such a big task" but rather it is a progression of myself and improvement of myself. I won't have to wait until I'm 200 or so to be happier with my weight.

I also am looking forward to being able to do more things as I lose weight. With my increased strength and health, I'll be able to do more things and feel better about who I am as I go.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Wow! You guys have some strong commitments! Congratulations. That is the first step. I know many people who have had great success with LA Weight Loss Centers. I have also known many people (including myself) that have had great success in creating their own plans. This is not an easy journey ahead of you. There will be many ups and downs, on days and off but the key to success is to remain positive and KNOW that if you stick with it and make a lifestyle change out of it, you will SEE THE RESULTS! When you hit a speedbump along the way keep going don't let it stop you!

I am proud of you!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 10:20 PM   #13  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Welcome, Dutchy and Sick of this! I never hit the 300 mark, but I got darned close, at 284. I just want to say that yes, it is a long road before you, but you've each ABSOLUTELY got it in you to accomplish anything to which you set your minds. You can do this......don't get overwhelmed by the length of the road, just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you'll see progress all along the way. I have really been motivated and inspired by that Chinese proverb which says, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step." And there are some amazing folks here at the 100 lb Club with whom to share that journey! I've received so much support and caring here -- it's really been critical to my success. As for relating to the folks who don't have as much to lose as we, I just kind of think it's all relative. I'm going to use my good friend Gretchen as an example (hope you don't mind, Gretchengirl! ) Gretchen started at 225 just after I started at 287. My loss is just behind hers. We've shared support, struggles, information and laughter every step of the way, and have really helped one another in countless ways. I'm excited that she's about to achieve her goal of losing 85 pounds, and I'm really proud of her -- and I also know that I still have another 80 to go before I reach my goal of 140. So I look at it like this: she and I shared the same path for 85 pounds, and now she'll learn all kinds of stuff about Phase II: Maintenance......so I'll get to benefit from her experience with that when I hit my own maintenance phase! I REALLY can understand needing to find other "big losers" to relate to, though -- it's hard to compare the struggle of 150 pounds to the struggle of 30, even if that 30 is going to be a huge accomplishment for that person. Similar, kind of -- but not the same.

It's great to have you both, and I offer my support to each of you; if you ever need anyone to talk to or have a question, please feel free to PM me anytime! You're going to find this group just so supportive and so helpful -- and again, WELCOME!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:26 AM   #14  
Abby's Mommy

Welcome to you both! I'm glad you all made that first daunting step in coming here! If you ever have any problens, questions or thoughts, post them! We love to listen/help if we can!!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:48 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Sarah, thanks for the kind words. I'll be here forever! And for the record, I actually have 24 more to go to reach ultimate goal , so we're still on the same phase of the journey for a while I bet girlfriend! It's a continuous journey, one of many stages. As long as your even on the journey, we're all in this together!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote