Old 09-14-2004, 10:56 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #36

Good Evening, Flowers!
We've just had an evening of rolling thunderstorms and rain! From the thunder sounds, the lightning was close by; I was a bit nervous because the sky was kind of green just before it got dark. The cats were upset and kept running from room to room -- usually they just snooze on through. We're supposed to have rain throughout the night -- gentle would be nice.

Not much is newsy from my corner of the world. I'm in hopes the rain will bring cooler temperatures as it was still quite humid and sticky again today.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry to hear that your car still is not finished but it is great that you no longer have to pay the rental fee. My temper got a bit testy when I was discussing the coverage of my bone density test with the BCBS rep. I hung up on the guy and when I got home there was a message saying that I "disconnected" before he could tell me that he would do some checking. Today I got the bill from the hospital so I called and explained that BCBS was checking into the charge. The local lady went online to BCBS, found my account, and saw where it had been processed and paid. She called me back later and said the hospital got the $$ today. I was surprised that they paid the whole thing but I can use the $127 more than they need it!

It's time to catch the news and decide what I'm wearing to school tomorrow.
I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:21 AM   #2  

Morning gals!

Jean: I am still doing the runaround from my slip and fall. The hospital has still not been paid and I keep getting paperwork from my insurance to fill out. I think I have filled out the same questionaire about it 4 times. Don't insurance companies coordinate at all? Anyway, I just keep referring them to my insurer and sooner or later it will get paid. Now I see why people get so frustrated with insurance. The GM at the body shop says when a part doesn't fit and has already been painted, the body shop takes the loss not the insurance company even though the insurer is the one that insisted on the cheap part and paint. You pay these awful premiums for years and years and then when you do use it, they try and screw you.

Maggie: I took the test you sent me and got a 17. I think I missed Studebaker being the car that looked the same front to back (which is a total hoot because the car was manufactured in MY hometown completely and my grandparents had one. In fact, my grandma was a seamstress with them for years and years until they closed down production sometime in the 60's.) I also missed the Taxi and the Howdy Doody ?. Some of it was pretty much before my time, but I am a pretty good guesser.

I am going to spend the day with dd. I hope we can make some kind of headway on our rocky relationship. Maybe she is gonna grow up and except responsibility for being so difficult about everything with everyone. I sure hope so because I miss doing what we used to several years ago. We were really close when she was in high school and then she got too big for her britches from college on.

Have a good day girls. We are expecting heavy rain tomorrow possibly. We can use rain but can't handle a deluge here as we have a rotten drainage system. (Besides, heavy rain usually means poor dh gets stuck working a lot of overtime because their pumps and stuff shut down out at the plant)

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:58 PM   #3  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
Well, it is tax day for the IRS -- I hope they appreciate all of us who contribute!

It was an interesting day at school today. I rarely listen to the local radio station so missed the breaking news on the way to school. One of our special ed. teachers, and his wife who teaches at the local college, were arrested for growing marijuana plus possessing other drug paraphenalia. He is/was about 3 years away from retiring. They are the ones who "collect" cats (no kids) and have adopted some of my strays over the years. The rumor has it that the TV dish repairman turned them in. They always host the end of the year staff party . . . good thing it didn't get raided or we'd all be listed in the newspaper probably.

Bell choir practice started tonight. For lack of organization, I guess, it just isn't as much fun as it used to be. I really blame it on changing church night from Thursday night to Wednesday night. Tomorrow should be Friday instead of Thursday!

"Gma" -- Even though my DH sells insurance, we rarely discuss it at home because I feel the same way you do. He agrees but still gets the brunt of some irate clients when things don't go the way they think they should. Enjoy your day with your daughter. We got thunderstorms and lots of rain last night! It has cooled down today so that was most welcome.

I need to fold a load of towels, decide what I'm wearing tomorrow, and head for bed.

I hope you all have a good day tomorrow! Be nice to yourself!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-16-2004, 08:31 AM   #4  

Hey ladies!

Jean: Umm, did this man or his wife either one have MS by any chance do you know or Glaucoma? I know that if he is not a drug DEALER but it is for one of them that is may be a health related thing. I guess they have found it to be really beneficial for MS patients and their pain. It is still illegal though so even if you do use it for medicinal, you take your chances. As for the wrap sandwiches, we went to a place called Roly Poly and she and I are HOOKED! I had a cobb salad half wrap and it was yummy and her total veggie wrap was just as good.

I had a great time with dd and you all know the problems I have had with her. She even offered to let us take T to the movies in a couple weeks by ourselves! She also asked if I wanted to go with her and T to Nashville on a shopping trip, spend the night then come back the next day. I talked to dh about this change and to be honest, I am wondering if it involves her weight. Her husband is one of those skinny only wives jerks and so she got down to 125 but she creeps back up to the weight she was in high school. Thing is, at her current weight she is still like a size 10-8 on top and looks tiny not overweight. You know how losing more weight than is healthy can screw up hormones etc. Maybe she was hungry so she was B***** all the time? I don't care as long as we are able to have a good relationship with her.

I got out in the dark and walked this am. Normally I would never ever do that here, but it is supposed to start raining soon from Ivan and I had ice cream yesterday!

You gals have a great Thurs and keep an eye out for plants that don't look normal or the smell of rope burning...........

Faye
Old 09-16-2004, 06:01 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's been a delightful day for weather in my corner of the world! The kids at school were unusually cooperative today for some reason, which made it even better.

The jeweler just called and my ring is finally done! I had my mother's ring redone with my original engagement diamond in it, along with my mother's original engagement diamond (Beth's birthstone), and a sapphire which is Jason's birthstone. I am going to pick it up as soon as DH gets home. The stores are open tonight so parking spots will be hard to find since there is food being served in the main intersection of town. People act like they've not eaten for a week and it will be another week before they can eat again!

"Gma" -- No, they don't have MS -- (mental disability maybe!) They look and act like hippies from the '60s so I can't really say that I am surprised. We do have a woman in town who smokes pot legally because she has MS. She is usually stoned and her insurance company (not DH's company) finally wouldn't renew her car insurance in order to keep her off the streets. I'm glad you enjoyed your lunch with your daughter. A shopping trip to Nashville sounds like fun!

I need to pick up the kitchen and dream up something for supper. No way am I going to stand in line, for food, downtown!

I hope you all have a fantastic Friday tomorrow. I am ready for the weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 09-16-2004 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:50 AM   #6  

Jean: Ahhhhhh, those old hippy types are something else. it is like, "Grow up for gosh sakes!" I did something with my mil's wedding rings. Before she died, she gave them to me and said that they were supposed to go to Kelly when she was an adult. Now it got ugly because my mil HAS a dd, but she wanted the oldest grandchild to have them so I took them. Caused a brouhaha but that is another story. What I did was made dd a garter to wear in her wedding and sewed the wedding rings onto the garter. She wore it and then she lent it to my dil to wear at her wedding. Cool, huh? I thought it was kind of nifty and then when her son marries she can give them to her dil since she won't have a girl or give them to my ds's daughter if he has one, which is what I would like her to do.

Maggie: I am trying to get an account with the board but can't get a validation code no matter what I do so I don't know if I will be able to post over there or not. If won't be very often with me having 3 to do here and everything.

I have a bunch of stuff I need to accomplish today so better get going. Oh, my car finally is done. They even detailed it! It looks beautiful, but they found a valve called an EGF valve that has to be replaced so that comes next week I guess. The car looks like brand new almost.

Have a good day ladies

Faye
Old 09-17-2004, 11:10 PM   #7  

Good Evening Flowers!
I am late checking in because we had a FAC meeting, then met some friends for supper, and just got home a little while ago. It's a chilly 59° here tonight but is supposed to hit 90° on Sunday . . . crazy weather!

We're going to visit grandchildren, and children, tomorrow. We have a new Penneys store to check out in the mall and I want to look for a crib at a used baby furniture store.

DH's group is singing in church on Sunday and I will probably be doing my usual Saturday chores Sunday afternoon.

"Gma" -- I glad you finally have your car back! I like what you did with the wedding rings -- that's a neat idea! Speaking of weddings, we had our wedding cake knife which has our names and date engraved on it, and had Jason and Amanda with their date engraved on it. I'm not sure if Beth will ever marry but there is room for her too.

I am going to catch the rest of the news and head for bed! I hope you all have a nice weekend.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-18-2004, 07:26 AM   #8  

Good morning Magnolias!

I am sure you are all sleeping in since it is Saturday but I never sleep in like I used to. Guess I have too much time on my hands.

Jean: Hope you have fun with the kids this weekend. I can't wait until I have more grandkids and my son is my only hope now! My only hope is that it isn't born between June and Dec! We have all birthdays and anniversaries between the end of June and Nov 18 then stick in Thanksgiving and Christmas and there you go, broke for the year! I am struggling with birthday and Christmas presents this year. Jack and I bought ourselves an expensive digital camera in place of our birthday presents and he is buying me a wedding ring for Christmas (mine burned up in a car fire 15 years ago and we have never replaced it) and he wants some kind of a dvd recorder and that is what I am getting him for Christmas. As for the kids, the in-laws and dgs birthday and their anniversaries have passed but I have to face Christmas. Even T is getting hard to buy for because the little stinker has everything under the sun. With having an unmarried aunt and an uncle who just married with no kids, plus both sets of grandparents living, his every wish is fullfilled. I have a pretty good idea for my dd, but my sil is impossible as is dil and ds. Oh, well, I will have an inspiration sooner or later I am sure!

Everyone, have a good weekend.

Faye
Old 09-18-2004, 08:46 PM   #9  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It has dropped 20° in the last couple of hours! We are having the strangest weather and I don't know if it has anything to do with Ivan or not. It is supposed to hit 90° tomorrow with lots of wind. I'm glad I'm staying home!

We did a bit of shopping at SAM's and Penneys then stopped to visit with Maddy for a bit. She keeps pretty close tabs on her mother and wasn't too sure about us until we had been there for a few minutes. Ian remembers us though and always has a big smile for us! He wants to be outside and between 4 adults, he kept us hopping!

"Gma" -- It seems like we never get to spend much time with the grandkids even though we see them quite often. I usually wake up about the same time as I do on a school day although I can usually go back to sleep if I remember it is Saturday. I never was one to sleep "late" and once I'm fully awake I might as well get up. Our DIL always gives me a list of possible gifts for her birthday and Christmas. I try to buy her something that isn't on her list as a surprise. I'm having trouble with the grandkids since Maddy's other grandmother buys her "stuff" all the time -- she has every infant toy that makes noise, I think. Ian has discovered matchbox cars and I'm thinking maybe a wagon would be fun. I'm not even sure I can buy one this time of year.

I should go down and put a load of laundry in since I've been gone all day. I hope you all have a nice Sunday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-19-2004, 03:58 PM   #10  

Talking

Good Afternoon Flowers!
I'm taking a break from my "to do" list . . . I almost wish I would have stayed home yesterday so I wouldn't have to do Saturday stuff on Sunday. Not really!

I went to the grocery store after church, put that stuff away, ate dinner when DH got home from 2nd service at 12:30, cleaned up the kitchen, put a load of laundry in, cleaned out the cat boxes (thought you'd really be interested in that one!), and here I am!

It is a very warm 88 degrees here and very, very windy. The weatherbug is "sick" as it says it is only 59 degrees.

I hope you are having a nice day! Do something special for yourself!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-20-2004, 07:47 AM   #11  

Morning ladies!

Jean: I can't wait to buy baby stuff again. DD and I went into a fancy boutique for children called Little Lambs and Ivy and whoooo what prices, $68 for a little boy's sweater. I did see some beautiful baby clothes and a little boy's outfit I just might have to buy and set aside hoping our son has a boy somewhere down the road. Poor man is the only boy to pass on the Wilkinson name so it all hinges on him! We would like to have a Jack the 4th though what we would call him is ????? Jack's dad was Jack, Jack was Jackie (though I refused to call him that) my son was Jay so if you have suggestions, speak up!

We have a great Saturday. We went and got our hair cut then I came home and covered all the gray! The stylist had cut all my color off and boy!!!!!!! Then we decided to go see Mr 3000 and went downtown and had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe and they have a Blues band that plays outside on Beale street during the day on Sat so we sat and listened to that then went to the movies and decided to go back to Beale street. We roamed around on Beale and listened some more to the band, had a drink then went to Wally's for some stuff, got a pizza for dinner and went home. It was a fun "day" date. Yesterday we just hung around the house and Jack grilled skinless chicken in the evening and I had taken some new red potatoes, sliced them in half and took lowfat butter and fresh garlic and melted it and added the potatoes then put them in foil and on the grill and it was quit a treat.

Well, walking is calling so better get to it!

Faye
Old 09-20-2004, 05:31 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's been a nice day in my neighborhood except for the wind which seems to be never ending. The kids at school were pretty mellow so all in all it was a good day there too.

I have card club tonight so think I will skip supper because I know there will be food there. The hostess joined late last year after another got huffy and quit. I've never been to her house so am kind of looking forward to that. My algebra is done for tomorrow and I should decide what I'm going to wear then I can just come home and head for bed.

"Gma" -- The only thing I can think of, for a 4th generation Jack, might be to use the middle initial. We have several students who go by their initials rather than their name: AJ, PJ, JR, and JC are the ones that come to mind. My DH was "Bobby" and still is when we go back to his little hometown. His dad was Bob but DH isn't a junior. I had saved a matching dress, coat, and bonnet that Beth had her 1st year pictures taken in and she dressed Maddy in the same outfit for her 1st year pictures. I had also saved an outfit of Jason's but I don't think Ian ever wore it or at least I didn't see him in it. Kids' clothes in "nice" stores are so expensive! It sounds like you had a nice Saturday with your DH!

I need to keep moving! Hope you have a nice evening and a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-21-2004, 09:23 AM   #13  

Morning flowers!

Jean: How can you get huffy at a card club unless you are one of those crazy people who can't stand to lose? What kind of cards do you play again? I have looked all over for card clubs but except for bridge, which I have NOOOOO idea how to play, I can't find any. I wouldn't even know where else to look to see if there are any here in town. We have a big bridge league here but that is all I could find.

Got my walk in and now have to tackle cleaning the downstairs today. I am supposed to have lunch again with dd tomorrow, then Thur have to have the car repaired and Friday is doggy shots so don't have time except for today to get it done. It is a little early as I just did it last Friday, but oh well at least it will be a snap to do!

I think we are going to have salmon patties and fried potatoes (well fried in the sense I cook them in a frying pan but I only use Pam) and grean beans. I like canned salmon but I don't like salmon steaks and whatnot. Now Jack really likes salmon steaks. I usually lemon pepper them for him. I need to do something from my crockpot cookbook that I haven't yet tried. It has some great recipes in it.

I guess fooling around here is not going to get the downstairs cleaned nor a shower for me.

have a great day (don't get wet looks like rain in your part of the country, Jean)

Faye
Old 09-21-2004, 10:24 PM   #14  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
It's pouring rain in my corner of the world today! I went to school in the rain and came home in the rain. I had WW tonight and it wasn't pretty as I knew it wouldn't be. Now to get on with the rest of the week!

The pot smoking teacher's case load is being divided up among the other special ed. teachers and his two classes are being taken over by other teachers as well. They will hire an aide to help with the paper work and be in the classes to help the students. They can't hire a replacement until he's been to court but the general feeling is that even if he beats the charge, he won't be allowed back in the school to teach.

"Gma" -- I'm not exactly sure why the gal got upset with card club. She is one who has mood swings and one never knew from one time to the next how she would react to anything that was said or done. She quit two weeks before it was her turn to host it after playing in it for probably close to 20 years. This card group plays '500' and I was asked to join after subbing a few times for a friend who later moved away. When we moved to town, we played in a couples' group that we joined through Welcome Wagon. We eventually broke away from WW and now that doesn't exist in this town any more. Our group fell apart when one of the guys died and another couple moved away; we were the youngest couple in the group at the time. It sounds like you have a busy "rest of the week" planned. Enjoy your lunch with your daughter!

I need to figure out what I am going to wear tomorrow and head for bed. I could have easily taken a nap this afternoon about 2:00!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 09-21-2004 at 10:26 PM.