Old 09-17-2004, 10:38 PM   #1  

Default why why why am i such a moron?

i've been hearing a lot recently about the G.I. diet. why am i a moron?
because i always thought it was new fad about eating like an army recruit, what they eat in the mess hall.
today i saw a picture of the book cover the gi diet !

well everyday is an opportunity to learn something new i guess (there should be a smilie bang it's head against the wall, really)

gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:45 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Gen,

Don't worry, you aren't born with innate knowledge of acronyms. Anyway, I know a lot of people follow a GI based diet but not necessarily THE GI Diet (I didn't know there was a diet called the GI Diet). South Beach Diet and the new WW Core diet are both heavily based on the glycemic index as well as a lot of individualized plans.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:45 PM   #3  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Gen, you are truly a goofball! I say that with love (you know I love you) and affection (earned over months of support and sharing) --- but truly, Genevieve, what the heck were you thinking??

I have a copy and I'm done with it -- want me to send it to you?
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:50 PM   #4  
I climb mountains!

Nelie, I'm pretty sure the Glycemic Index originated in Canada (something tells me that but I wouldn't bet a finger yet! ) and there's a book that's very popular there called "The G.I. Diet," and it makes the whole concept very easy to understand. It's a more accessible read than "The Low Glycemic Revolution," which I'm assuming you've read, since you're a person who likes to know things, and a smartypants to boot!

Edited to add that our lovely Genevieve is a neighbor to the north....
Old 09-18-2004, 03:38 AM   #5  
Getting back on track!

Gen I think that's hilarious! I think you're right about the smiley - I could probiably use it every day.
Annie-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 10:51 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Sarah, I haven't read any book about the glycemic index, I've only read some stuff online. I just thought it was part of a research project, not really a book, you know?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 10:59 AM   #7  

i know i know, thanks for the sympathies.
so should i get the book, i have to buy some books from a book club i signed to (stupid, stupid, stupid) so maybe i should buy this one. i just have a feeling i already know most of the stuff in it? do you think i learn anything new? because i'm all through learning the old stuff
maybe i should go back to bed and call it day?

gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:30 AM   #8  

Whether it's worthwhile or not depends on whether it goes ONLY by the Glycemic Index, or whether it utilizes the Glycemic LOAD concept. If you go purely by GI, you would never eat carrots because 50g carb-worth of carrots has as high or higher "sugar" content as 50g-carb worth of white bread. However, you would have to eat only about 3 slices of white bread to get that effect, whereas you'd have to eat a BOATLOAD of carrots to get in 50g carb. So, proceed with caution; if you eat only low-GI foods, you are unnecessarily eliminating healthy foods from your diet. However, eating low-GL foods is reasonable. If you want more info on GI, check out Dr. Andrew Weil:

http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cd...stionId=326589

and

http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cd...stionId=332167
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 12:41 PM   #9  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

I wanted to add that I have an electronic copy of the Montignac book, which is a low-glycemic way of eating. If anyone would like me to email it to them, please PM me with your email address.
Raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 01:07 PM   #10  
I climb mountains!

Thumbs up Oooh, books! *perk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by funniegrrl
Whether it's worthwhile or not depends on whether it goes ONLY by the Glycemic Index, or whether it utilizes the Glycemic LOAD concept.
I agree COMPLETELY! And yes, it does emphasize the importance of Glycemic Load vs. Glycemic Index, and talks the reader through both concepts so they can make informed decisions making a distinction between the two. That said, I do feel the book is too simplistic for our Gen -- herself a former biology major and currently a brainiac -- sooooo, I'd recommend the far more detailed and truly fascinating (if you're into that sort of thing, which I am and think she is too) The New Glucose Revolution, by Jennie Brand-Miller, Ph.D and more. It's wholly supported Dr. Andrew Weil (I agree with funniegrrl; anything Dr. Weil says you can trust and respect) and it's a very intelligent and comprehensive overview of the worlds of GI and GL.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:22 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

you're all so darn smart!!!!!

yes, you too, genevieve...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:55 PM   #12  
Abby's Mommy

You are not a MORON! I didn't know what it was either, and felt too silly to ask! I'm glad you did!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote