South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 09:37 AM   #1  

Talking Carnation Instant Breakfast?!

here's the nutritional facts

no sugar added, and counting it as a dairy serving.. possibly okay?

please.please.please.please.

the one i would buy would be the rich chocolate, the first on the list.

also, it says the sugar grams are from lactose, natural milk sugar. any help would be great.. even if it is "you can't have that".

Last edited by fireflynova; 09-16-2004 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:51 AM   #2  

Well, I am not sure about the nutritional stuff and there are ladies here who can answer that part better than I. However, I would suspect that any nutritional supplement shakes are not recommended on SBD. Remember this is about good carbs, natural foods and avoiding processed foods.

It might be OK for an occasional treat on P2, but my rule of thumb is generally if you have to ask if its OK...it usually isn't. JMHO.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:59 AM   #3  

I would be concerned about having maltodextrin as the second ingredient so there is probably a lot of it. Here is what I found:

maltodextrins are easily digestible carbohydrates made from natural corn starch. The starch is cooked, and then acid and/or enzymes are used to break the starch into smaller polymers (a process similar to that used by the body to digest carbohydrate).

maltodextrins are polymers of dextrose (sometimes labeled "glucose polymers"). They do not contain significant quantities of protein, fat or fiber.
Corn-based maltodextrins are safe for patients with celiac disease since they do not contain proteins from wheat, barley, oats or rye. They are not known to contain MSG.
Diabetics should follow the advice of their physicians. maltodextrin’s glycemic index should be considered metabolically equivalent to glucose (dextrose).

It sounds like a Frankenfood to me!
Old 09-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #4  

darnit! i should have known that words i can't pronounce in ingredient lists aren't good for me.

it was a nice dream though thanks lol
Old 09-16-2004, 10:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

Experiment with some of the protein shake recipes in the recipe forum. It took me some tweaking to get the flavour right but they are a good option for a morning where you really can't do breakfast.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:39 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Traci, how about making your own smoothies with yogurt, a tiny bit of SF/FF pudding mix, and lots of healthy stuff, like cinnamon, flaxseeds, protein powder, milk? Or you could try cocoa powder and splenda or syrup. Still yummy, but not full of those unpronounceable ingredients.
Closed Thread