Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 08:49 AM   #1  

Default Terrific Two Weeks --Sprint VI -- ALL Welcome!

So here we are !

A very stressful two weeks BEHIND us..... Weather, holiday, summer ending, campaigns, 9/11 memorials....
Small wonder some of us ( Put this Royal at the top of the list!) are breaking into the Peanut Butter...

but again, all of that is behind us... We have new challenges ahead of us, experience to guide us, support here to strengthen us...

Onward! We can figure this out! We are on our way!

This 2 weeks, I need to concentrate more on the water... Now that I have a phone schedule I think I need more than one bottle at my desk... just to keep me aware...

I also need to focus more on things OTHER than the job... Yesterday's little bout of writing felt like a dam breaking loose... I was enjoying reading on the bus but finished two great books but the third is not holding my interest. ( It's "Wicked" about the Wicked Witch of the West... just not doing it for me)

So... for two weeks only... a committment to write at least 15 minutes a day, hopefully on the bus as that is a dead area time... the idea is if I have a paper with me, I might write more...

I also have my 10th speech coming up the the last week of Oct and that is will officially make me a Certified Toastmaster....

I think the scale is either playing a game or I am down some. Official weighin tomorrow evening... I am impatient... In some ways I feel like a pregnant woman...ready for the next step... knowing it WILL happen.. just wanting it to be now... I am ready to become a leader of some sort... believe WW's is the way to go as I know the philosophy and have lost nearly 80-90 lbs so perhaps I can be a role model, mentor, coach, etc....

So...

Today's thought of the day is:

"We are on our way!"
---kletskus

Question of the day :
" Which way are you headed?"

KETTLE IS ON!
Old 09-12-2004, 08:58 AM   #2  

I found this aritcle on the WW's home page this morning.. Its really worth sharing...
From the WW's home page:

"age can be great for your weight loss
By Paula Gardner | 6/4/2004

We've probably all heard how it's harder to lose weight the older we get. But there are advantages to aging too. We take a look at how older really does mean wiser when it comes to losing weight:

1. The confidence to say "no"
When you have some years behind you, you're less likely to bow to peer pressure and worry about what people think of you if you say no to that extra glass of wine or helping of dessert. You are aware of your own appetite and capacity and eat to suit yourself — and no one else.

2. More support
Friends are in the same boat and understand when you opt for a healthy salad rather than a full-fat pasta dish. You're more likely to get support from your peers and they'll applaud your success, as they know exactly what it means.

3. Eating well
As you grow older, you realize that food is one of the big joys of life. You've left the days of fad diets behind and discovered the pleasures of good food. You care about what you put into your body; opt for healthier, lower-fat options; and make sure you get your daily quota of fruit and vegetables.

4. An example to your children
Whether you've got toddlers or teenagers, having children makes you conscious of setting a good example by eating well and exercising. You're doing this for more than you alone.

5. Willpower
Let's face it, the older you get, the more you can rely on just plain old willpower and ignore those distractions.

6. Coping with stress
You've learned the hard way that overeating, drinking and smoking actually increases stress levels, and that the best way to cope with a hectic life is to take time out and turn to exercise, yoga, meditation and pampering treatments, and give yourself "me time."

7. You know what you want
You don't have time to squeeze yourself into the mold of a gym bunny if what you really enjoy is a calming swim. You do what you like and are more likely to stick to it.

8. Time
Being aware of how fast time is ticking makes you realize that procrastination isn't an option. Once you make a commitment you are more likely to stick with it.

9. Patience
But you also know that the weight you've gained over the past five years isn't going to disappear in a week. You've got the patience to lose weight steadily but surely, knowing that this is the best way to keep it off."

Hmmmmmmmm
Old 09-12-2004, 05:39 PM   #3  
wsw

kaylets-thanks for starting the new thread! i like your thought of the day, as well as the author!

this sprint, i am going to add to my on-going list (remaining on program, exercising daily, good amount of water, working on adding to stress management arsenal): doing some things which are fun! (had been too long!) yesterday, was able to drive ok, and i treated myself to a movie at a small, quiet theatre which was easy to get to and has easy access. hadn't been to a movie in over a few months, and it was a real treat i gave myself.

beautiful day here today-not too hot or humid, and gorgeous clear blue sky. felt good to get outside for a while and enjoy this rare moderate temp. day.

hi arabella, ceara, eydie, anagram, amarantha, frogger, and to all the remaining royal personages, mentioned and unmentioned!! hope your weekend has been/is pleasant. take care, all.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:42 AM   #4  

Hello all!

WSW!! HOW WONDERFUL FOR YOU!! but you didn't tell us which movie you saw! I love a good movie too... too bad they are so few and far between..

Here we go Monday, here we go!
This past weekend really did sem to go by faster than usual!!
I didnt get nearly as many things done as I had hoped ( What else is new!) BUT I did get the priority items at done... repotted some baby vegetables for my "cool weather veg gardening experiment"... I decided to do what I could in 15 minutes and probably spent 30 minutes but as I said, got the most important repotting done...

Last night was the first night for a Ladies/Mens Bowling League... my first time back in a league in at least 5 yrs.... NOTE TO SELF... Eat a meal that will stay w/ you as the snack bar closes early ....
I got very tired at the end and my score showed but I am trying to use bowling as a learning experience and a motivator to get stronger.....
After all, its because of Tiger Woods doing strength training that so many other golfers do the same now.....
And PS, DH really does enjoy having me as a Team Member so I there is more than one silver lining .....

So my friends, the scale is having fun w/ me this am....
Guess I should check the battery! It showed such a low number even I don't believe it!!
Talk about reality check!

Thought of the day:

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts, we make our world

Question of the day :

"If you had to choose, hurricane or earthquake?"

KETTLE IS ON !
Old 09-13-2004, 06:43 AM   #5  

Default Monday Grin-pg Rated

Thought we deserved this for a Monday GRIN

Bear Chugs Rainier ... Leaves the Busch

August 18, 2004

Bear drinks 36 cans of favorite beer
BAKER LAKE, Wash. - Rain-eeeeer .... Bear? When state Fish and Wildlife agents recently found a black bear passed out on the lawn of Baker Lake Resort, there were some clues scattered nearby - dozens of empty cans of Rainier Beer.

Advertisement

The bear apparently got into campers' coolers and used his claws and teeth to puncture the cans. And not just any cans.

"He drank the Rainier and wouldn't drink the Busch beer," said Lisa Broxson, bookkeeper at the campground and cabins resort east of Mount Baker.

Fish and Wildlife enforcement Sgt. Bill Heinck said the bear did try one can of Busch, but ignored the rest.

"He didn't like that (Busch) and consumed, as near as we can tell, about 36 cans of Rainier."

A wildlife agent tried to chase the bear from the campground but the animal just climbed a tree to sleep it off for another four hours. Agents finally herded the bear away, but it returned the next morning.

Agents then used a large, humane trap to capture it for relocation, baiting the trap with the usual: doughnuts, honey and, in this case, two open cans of Rainier. That did the trick.

"This is a new one on me," Heinck said. "I've known them to get into cans, but nothing like this. And it definitely had a preference."

©Indiana Printing & Publishing Co. 2004

. . . . . . . . . .
Old 09-13-2004, 10:02 AM   #6  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Question

What movie'd you see wsw? Inquiring minds wanna know...It is nice when you can have a me day isn't it? I've done that a bit lately...only I read...
Yeah for the bowling K! How's life down east Arabella? And where is everyone else? The palace is hollow these days...a distinct lack of bodies....

Day 1

So far so good....wonder if I can do 14?

Walk done (something bit me...a lot), food good so far...think I'll drink some water!

Ceara
Old 09-14-2004, 06:00 AM   #7  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Default Channeling Anagram from last thread...

Note: This post is actually Anagram

Well, Happy Monday, All!

Had a good weekend w/ds here. And he checked out a few friends and all his old haunts as well. Did some 'puter maintenance stuff for me and a few physical cleanup chores outside. Big Help! He left mid morning and things went downhill. A guy was supposed to come give me an estimate on some work (I've waited 2 and a half weeks and skipped the pool to be here). He calls an hour or so before he's to come and says can we make it tomorrow. Well tomorrow's crazy enough and I'm going to be away the next three days so that would be waiting another week, blah, blah, blah. So I said no. He claims he just got the order today but acknowledges it says I called when I said I did. Probably keeping appts made much later. Anyway I looked at the clock, picked up my gym bag and headed for late class at pool. FORGOT MY BATHING SUIT. So I came home and muddled on after a long lunch. Then BIL/SIL called to say they wouldn't be stopping for lunch tomorrow (this time, a hurray) so fortunately now I can get there tomorrow but still enough going on to make it crazy.

DH cleaned the rug in the family room today so things are all still scattered around other rooms while it's drying. I got all the laundry done and tackled another corner in the garage. Bit by bit I'm getting it done. Not perfectly but......Also still working on files. I do a little on each every day - some days very little - but it's going to get me there. Just like this durn diet.

My weekend was calorically high but not the absolute worst. Rest of week looks like it will be too. Sigh!!!!! Leaving Wednesday to play with the princesses for a couple of days so probably won't get a lot done later this week. But FUN is still one of my goals so I'll have a couple of days of that.

Should be Frogger's little tapole princess soon.

Last edited by Arabella; 09-14-2004 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:19 AM   #8  

Smile Good Morning!

Okey-dokey. Feeling more-or-less human this morning, for which I'm profoundly grateful. I did wake up a little before 4, which is a bit on the early side but what the heck. It's just 7 and we're back from the gym. I'll get some work done this morning and if I crash later, so be it.

Day 2 of The Sprint, and all is well. I'm simplifying my goals -- still have the same ones, but for the sprint I'm committing to the Core plan (which takes in healthy eating, water, and behavioral stuff like eating when hungry and not otherwise) and daily exercise. I'm going to still try to do everything on my other list, just not document so much.

WSW, I'm so glad you're feeling better and treating yourself like the royalty you are! Yup -- I want to know what movie you saw too...

Ceara, things are a little on the echoey side in here, aren't they. I thought yesterday that I hope we don't just fade away. I guess it happens -- people wander off for one reason or another. But some also just go through quiet times and return It's cool here in the Far East, but not bad -- we're supposed to have warm days and sunshine later in the week. Hoping to get to the beach!

Anagram, glad you had fun with DS, although the aftermath doesn't sound quite as enjoyable. Some days are sent to test us! Have a lovely visit with the princesses!

Kaylets, I'll be interested to hear about your cold weather garden. I'm still half-thinking of throwing some mesclun seeds in a pot that I can bring indoors on cool nights. May be a touch late in the season though

All right. I must go seek breakfast and then on with the day! Love to all, mentioned or not. Let's make this a good one!

Old 09-14-2004, 02:58 PM   #9  
deleted2

Hi Friends! Pardon my only lurking these last few days. Still struggling with ..... something, don't know what. Very overwhelmed, lots of work, lots of food, and I've got this eye twitch that won't quit. Was diagnosed with a mild case of Bell's Palsey 15 years ago and I wonder if it's cycling back. Thinking of going macrobiotic for a while----have been leaning heavily on breads, cheeses, and coffee as my drug of choice---oh, and a moderate amount of chocolate.
MUST take control! Have to call on my inner queen!!!!!!!

Old 09-14-2004, 06:00 PM   #10  
the sword bearer

Wink

Hmm

Day 2 is Ok....Day 1 took a slight detour last night with 1 glass of wine and low fat snackies ....but the rest of the day was good with water (blub), food and exercise...so still counting it as success! I'm weaning my way into this no food after 8....maybe tonight will be the night.

Well, the female probs continue....called ob/gyn yesterday and informed him that I am NOT in menopause as he hoped I'd be. (After the d*** pill, things are outta wack...'course they were before it too.) Anyway we'll see how things go....still may get a plumbing job....yeesh.

Wsw..the suspense is killin' me! You prolly went and saw some chick flick and are embarassed to reveal it! Or..... I really laugh when I see Hot Chick, and I liked The Prince and me.....cute.

Glad the weather is OK for you Arabella....friends of mine have bought a summer home down in NB I think....and are currently there closing it up.

Sounds like you had a productive week-end Anagram! Kaylets did you find muscles yet from the bowling?

Have a board meeting to chair tonight....now that will really send the munch monkey off...so plan to drink water...actually I tell them (it is a church board) that there is really gin in my water bottle

Gotta run....huh.

Ceara
Old 09-14-2004, 07:47 PM   #11  
wsw

saw "maria, full of grace." thought it was very good!

tomorrow, have my updated brain and spinal cord mri's , which i am certainly used to, but never like, since lying flat that long makes my poor back very unhappy, and having to listen to that awful noise while remaining still in that very small cylinder is quite challenging for me. at least, grateful that this is only done every year or two, and not more often. will definitely have to practice my relaxation imagery tomorrow afternoon.

ate a bit more today than necessary (healthy stuff, but went over by 300 c. and need to not let that be an excuse to continue in same way tomorrow.) i will be more diligent.

just wanted to say hi to everyone. thinking of you. take care, all.

Last edited by wsw; 09-14-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:37 AM   #12  

Hello all!

Wsw!-- I don't think I know anyone who doesnt dread those tests!
Imagery is a fantastic idea...one I should practice more myself...
floating with a gentle breeze ....Here's a big thumb's up that everything goes well for you!

Eydie! -- The past 2 weeks especially I have done w/o cheese and also gone to no fat yogurt and milk... has moved the scale down but don't necessarily feel more energetic or healthy... Have no idea if even no fat milk and yogurt are macrobiotic... I have a book here but frankly, last time I read it, seemed much too restrictive ....
as for the coffee... There have been a couple mornings the past weeks where even 1 cup has me so jazzed I wish I had done w/o...
And just for btw, when I am very stressed and tired, I have a muscle under my eye too that twitches uncontrollably....

Ceara! The joy! I don't envy you! There is so much conflicting info about this issue that I am afraid I would just have to trust the doctor and perhaps regret my decision later...
Perhaps things will look clearer in a few days... After all, didnt Arabella say things would look clearer after the 15th??

Arabella! Did I get that right?

Anagram! Fun w/ the princesses!!

Well, its official. I am within 10 lbs of making goal. Very motivating as you might imagine. Am crediting CORE w/ "shocking " my system into a quicker weight loss...Of course, DH credits bowling..
I am going to seriously throw my hat into the ring about WW's leadership...
I know odds are I won't be near my house as my own meeting is but I very much want to pursue this as I feel as though I do have something to share and I also want to broaden my speaking skills.....

In fact, now that I think about it, I think I only need to be w/in 10lbs to " get hired" by WW's.... have to email my leader ...

Thought of the day:
"The symbol of happiness is all around you when you are the one writing the symbol."
--Ron Rathburn

Question of the day:
"Do you use an alarm clock?"

KETTLE IS ON!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:13 AM   #13  
the sword bearer

Lightbulb

Yes!

Made it past 8 and into bed without food! Rest of day was good...no organized exercise, but I'm off in a few minutes for a walk. Food was ok...detoured into Wendy's for a #1 but that was a combo breakfast/lunch at 1:30. By then it was a better choice than the donut store and I could have eaten a horse at that point!

Meeting went late and after, minister and I had a parking lot conversation...it is too bad that more people don't get involved with important things rather than stirring the pot....it would certainly make her life easier. However the meeting wasn't too bad

QOD...no, I have a bladder.

Would that be fun K....being a leader? It certainly would fit in with your toastmaster training...and I think you'd be inspirational....some of those leaders I've heard are deadly.

So am off....where be the lurkers? How're you doin' Eydie? I shall have to look for that movie wsw....is it on video? I will check the international movie data base site and see....

Gotta go and walk or it won't happen!

and take care all!

Ceara
Old 09-15-2004, 08:30 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Queenies! Day 3 on the Sprint and all's well...

Feh! This is one of those "better one day, worse the next" things. I don't feel terribly ill, just exhausted. Yet I think the message I'm getting from within is that I need to go spend time outdoors today... I know that sunlight strengthens the immune system -- and I always feel better outdoors, so will try to work efficiently and take lots of outdoors breaks. Will walk later (rather than running today, I think) when the sun is stronger, maybe go out and plant bulbs, hang laundry, do tai chi throughout the day. Maybe also just sit in the sun a bit

Yup, Kaylets, supposed to be after the 15th, everything seems clearer and more straight-forward. I'll be anxiously waiting to see if it's so! Seriously, though, I'm often surprised by how often a common mood seems to be affecting everyone and it jibes with the forecasts of some astrologers. Wow -- within 10 pounds of goal! And what a terrific WW leader you'll make! And the leader can be so motivating and helpful, really helping people beat their s.

I don't feel healthier or more energetic on Core yet either, but I think it's because I'm ailing slightly. I invariably feel astonishingly better when I cut out bread and baked goods, so I have faith that it will come.

Eydie, thanks for stopping in to say We always want to hear from you, being chipper is definitely not required! I wonder if part of what you're going through is some necessary adaptive phase after having reached goal. After all, the whole weight loss trip is a pretty major project and people tend to feel at a loss after any big project ends. All part of life's rich pageant...

WSW, hey, I'm pretty certain things are going to be looking up for you after your medical stuff! You're so right about the imaging stuff -- it's a wonderful thing how we can control our perceptions. When you get right down to it, our perceptions of things are our experience of life. You inspire me! I vow to work on my own perceptions today I don't know what the sound of the MRI is like, but would it be possible to envision it as something else?

Ceara, the joys of womanhood! Always something, isn't it? Here's hoping that everything rights itself around and you don't need that plumbing job after all!

Amarantha, lurkest though? Hope thee and thine olde dogge art both well!

Love to thee, and all s in the palace or questing elsewhere! Let's take this day and make it a good one! Kisses!
Old 09-15-2004, 09:07 AM   #15  

Hello Queens, all! Wood Nymph, thanks for the "transplant". And outdoors will help. I was out just before dawn this a.m. to get the paper (dh usually does) and thought how much pleasure I got in the few minutes I lingered and savored. And knowing how much "reward" you'll get will help the rest of the day, won't it?

Kaylets, what a perfect direction for you to head. You have the knowledge, the experience, and the desire to motivate. Go for it.

wsw, yes, I loathe going for tests but I'm always amazed at what modern medicine has come up with. I had two MRIs earlier this year. They offer to play music but didn't put on the type I had requested (classical) so I asked them to turn it off. I do imaging/relaxation stuff there and the noise sort of becomes soothing as I picture it helping them do their detective work. It is hard on the back though.

Hi, Eydie! Sorry something's still amiss. I've known that feeling though. Your teaching should be coming up soon - that should give you some new "whatever".
And I too hope you won't need any plumbing jobs, Ceara, though there are certain parts I no longer have or miss. It's the going through all of it.

Well, I for one am ready for my big turnaround, starting today. For one thing, I begin my 68th year this morning. Nnnnnot in much better shape than a year ago, I'm afraid. But there is always hope. I'm barely clinging to the wagon and don't expect to be too good the next few days again. I will try mostly to avoid devastation and be prepared to start with a vengeance again. Do need to shape up my goals, diet, all of it. Will be taking some healthful things w/me today but I know there will be another cake and I feel I must have some. (there was one over the weekend when ds was here) For me, today is like New Year's. Time to reassess life as a whole, where I've been and where I want/need to go. How fitting Rosh Hashana also starts this evening.

Best get moving - must get a few things together and get out of here for our drive to DD's. Expect to be back Friday and I'll be looking for glowing reports of things "turning around".

Last edited by anagram; 09-15-2004 at 09:10 AM.
Closed Thread