General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-02-2004, 11:25 PM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default Eating For Life / Body For Life

For those of you not familiar with these programs, here's some general info:

Helpful links:
Chat with Bill Philips on WebMD about the EFL plan
Eating for Life official site which includes sample recipes and program basics. Make sure you read the Q&A.

Also, check out the Ladies Who Lift forum here at 3FC for information on weight training from our very informative members!

EFL Basics:
You eat 6 times a day. This is generally small balanced meals including breakfast, lunch, dinner, two snacks (which usually are a meal replacement bar or shake, or a nutrition shake from book recipes) and a healthy dessert. You can enjoy fruits, breads, etc, and it can be adapted to fit a vegetarian lifestyle. You follow the plan 6 days a week, and then you enjoy a free day.

The recipes in the book look heavenly, including Santa Fe Chicken Soup, Balsamic Salmon Salad, Turkey Bacon Quiche, Pumpkin Cheesecake, and many more. If you already have Body for Life, you'll notice that Eating for Life includes more food choices. These are easy to follow recipes with easy to find ingredients.

Exercise is recommended, as it should be included in ANY weight loss plan. However, you don't have to follow the weight lifting routine recommended in Body for Life, unless that is your goal. The EFL plan is meant to enhance Body For Life, so please do consider it.

It isn't a hard plan to follow. Carbs and Protein are 40% and fats are 20% of the meal. In general, if you have a palm sized protein, a fist sized carb and cook in a low fat style, that's the plan. It's easy once you try. You also need to add vegetables to at least 2 meals a day.

If you have any questions, please ask. We'd love to answer your questions! Most importantly, read the books - the key to success on any program!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:17 AM   #2  

Question

Jennifer
Thanks for the recommendation. I will implement that strategy. How many calories does everyone really eat? I am trying to get a good base line. I have been eating at about 1550 at about 40-30-30 It is hard for me to do 40-40-20 but I am trying. As for the weight lifting routine recommended ? Would you recommend doing something more? Thanks, Kehi13

Last edited by kehi13; 09-03-2004 at 10:35 AM.
kehi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 01:08 PM   #3  

I found some of the online BMR calculators (or 'estimators') which said my BMR was 1750ish, so right now I'm aiming for 1800. I probably should go down to 1700 but I'm not used to that little food yet. (I'm 5'10', btw.)
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 01:38 PM   #4  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

kehi13, If this is your first challenge I think it is best to stick with the plan as written. Save modifications for a later challenge. After all this will become a way of life for you and you will have plenty of time to experiment once you lay down a baseline of BFL by the book. IMO anyway.

I am planning to use the labor day weekend to gently put myself back on track. The last week was basically a lost cause. Life took a turn toward the chaotic, but I know it is worth the effort to turn myself back around.
ledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:48 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

Everybody's calories depends on base metabolic weight. Go to this site and click on BMR calculator and fill in the blanks.

http://www.hussman.org/fitness/
Old 09-04-2004, 10:02 AM   #6  

Hey everybody! Here for my weekly check in. For all the newbies, I am pretty much following the BFL plan. I haven't bought the EFL book yet but I plan to eventually for more insight and the recipes. I am currently completing my 8th week on the plan (today is free day....YEAH!!! ) and I am happy to say that I am now down 16 pounds as of this morning. So that's averaging about 2 pounds a week. For those of you still stressing over the free day (as I did when I first started), I'll have you know that I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of them. I figure as long as I am losing (even if it is just 1/2 pound every week) I am still losing and that's the point right? I'm not under any timelines and I will get there! (Although I do want to get to goal before our big yearly vacation...but that' s not till April, so plenty of time) Hope everyone has a great and on plan day!
jacklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 02:20 PM   #7  
Chick

Jacklyn you are doing great! You must be feeling fantatic!
Old 09-04-2004, 03:29 PM   #8  

Thanks Ledom! I do feel pretty good! I still have a ways to go..but I am definitely making progress. It's nice to not feel so jiggly, if you know what I mean I still make that Mexican Casserole pretty much every week. My husband absolutely loves it! Its pretty much become a staple in our household. Have a good one!
Old 09-07-2004, 06:32 PM   #9  
Britt/LAWL~Red

Hey everyone!! Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend. Im trying to get back on track and get started with this BFL/EFL so far its been crazy for me to actually get started and stay with it but i really want to get into the program. Im thinking about maybe starting back at curves also so that i get extra exercise at least 3 times a week. But im going to go get on my treadmill in a few minutes and get at least 20 minutes in. I just wanted to check in for a few minutes i couldnt get online at work my internet explorer is giving me problems but hopefully i will get that fixed tomorrow.

Jacklyn that is so great your doing wonderful how is your hubby doing?
Talk with everyone soon.

Britt
brittyboo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:42 AM   #10  
WW Moderator

Britt, are you wanting to do the BFL weight training and the Curves training?
Old 09-08-2004, 12:59 PM   #11  

Hey Brittnye! Hubby's doing great! Still down 30 pounds! As of this morning I'm at 17! We're still at it! Have a good one!
Old 09-08-2004, 05:53 PM   #12  
Britt/LAWL~Red

Hey Jacklyn thats GREAT!!! Yeah Jennifer I was thinking about doing both or maybe just doing the curves instead of the weight training cause they are really along the same lines to a degree. I will probably just do the weight training probably cause then i wont have to pay for the membership lol. It was just a thought. Anyway talk to everyone soon.

Britt
brittyboo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:21 PM   #13  
WW Moderator

If it were me, I'd do the weight training only. You can get weight training at Curves, but not in the muscley way like you will on BFL. I think you'll get much better results with the BFL way! Doing both would be bad, you wouldn't get enough recovery time between workouts for your muscles to heal (and grow).
Old 09-13-2004, 08:59 PM   #14  
Chick

Skwigg Alert!!! She has been writing in her blog all day, she has a great Q&A about freeday. http://skwigg.tripod.com/blog/

Last edited by ledom; 09-13-2004 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:01 PM   #15  
WW Moderator

Funny she mentioned e-diets. I bought it last week. I decided it would be nice to have somebody tell me what to fix. It was well worth it for a month, but beyond that I don't know if I will stay with it. I'm not sticking with it already - this morning I found myself cooking 4 helpings of chicken and brown rice, which is nowhere to be found on my menu. I packed it all up and that took care of 4 meals quick and easy. I honestly can't see myself buying all the ingredients on my weekly shopping list for the menu I got at ediets when most of the food I buy will go to waste. Too many ingredients wouldn't get mix/matched enough unless I double/triple recipes. Still, it was a good thing to see it all layed out and to find a couple of acceptable frozen dinners and fast foodies I can squeak in.