Old 09-13-2004, 01:27 PM   #1  
Taking care of me.

Talking I wanna be a loser like y'all

Good morning everybody. I have been reading on this site for over a month now and finally joined on Friday.

I just love this forum. I’ve been telling people about it and how positive it is. I plan to keep coming here to get and give inspiration, support, and encouragement.

I have been overweight since about the second grade. I know a lot of the psychological reasons behind my eating and I’m trying to deal with those. But I know the time has come for me to TAKE CARE OF MYSELF. I’m on medications for high blood pressure, diabetes, and depression and I want to get off of them and get healthy.

For years I weighed in at 297 but when I went to the doctor a few months ago and was at 302, I knew it was time to do something. When I go shopping and a price tag reads $299.00, my mind knows to automatically round it up to $300.00. I don’t know why that hadn’t been happening with my weight – I mean like 302 is so much higher than 297. Anyway, it is time for a change.

I was watching Oprah After the Show a few weeks ago and her personal trainer advised that to start losing weight, it might be easier to start some kind exercise program than to start a food program. Since my life was TOTALLY sedentary, that is what I did. On 8-31-04, I joined a gym and started walking on the treadmill on 9-1-04. I will go on MWF until I work up some stamina and then I will start to increase my activity. I was going to buy some more exercise tapes to use at home but I don’t use the ones I have now . I’ll be more successful if I have to stop a the gym on my way home. Once I get home, I’m in my chair and I know I’m not disciplined enough to change that yet. My doctor had me get a stress test with a cardiologist before she would clear me to do more than light walking. According to my stress test, I can work out up to 95% of my target heart rate before my blood pressure goes too high. I purchased a personal trainer package for exercise and will start that now that I’ve been given the ok from the cardiologist.

As for the food, I am reading up on four diets (South Beach, Sugar Busters, DASH, and Rotation) to try to find the one that will work for me or combine them to make a customized program. Once I’ve done my research, I’ll check with a nutritionist to iron out the details. Right now, I’m trying to eat one healthy thing a day. I like to cook but don’t because I hate to clean the kitchen - so I eat out everyday . Until I get my kitchen together, I’m trying to make healthier choices. I’m sure I’ll be asking for some help in this area in the near future.

For now, I want to (make that will) start to move, and to drink water (yuck).

I look forward to getting to know you all. Thanks for being here.
MoveMoveMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 01:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 264.2/264.2/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Marcia! Welcome. I just joined this forum last week and I love it. I too love to cook but hate the clean up, lol. we use paper everything, LOL. It's too bad i can buy disposable skillets and saucepans, LOL.

You have already taken the biggest step of you weightloss journey..admitting that you need to change, AND you have already put a plan of action in to practice!! You obviosly have great determination and I'm sure you will acheive your goals!

Welcome to the board! I look forward to chatting with you
Jldsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Welcome Marcia,

I have only been here a month, but I sound alot like you, I was sedentary, ate out alot, etc. I am taking little baby steps right now. I cut out a few things every 1 or 2 weeks. First week i cut out soda, then i changed from white to wheat bread, I also change to the low fat varieties of food when possible. Low fat mayo, low fat bologna, 2% cheese, etc. I also have added fruits and a few veggies to my diet (i hate veggies though,..yuck,..lol). I am having a struggle exercising. I have Leslie Sansone's walk Away the Pounds and it is supposed to be really easy but at first I could only do 5 or 6 mins but now I am up to the half mile mark at 12 mins, so if I can do it, you can too:-) As far as the diet plan goes, I am trying to baby step my way into the DASH diet. My blood pressure is high also and that plan allows a variety of foods and it has been shown to be very successful in not only weight loss, but lowering blood pressure too!

Good Luck and hope to see you around more often!
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:26 PM   #4  
Abby's Mommy

WELCOME MARCIA!! WELCOME JLDSGIRL!!
Sure is good to see soem new "losers" here! You've made the biggest and hardest step, so congrats for that! Good luck!! Amy
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Welcome Marcia and JLDSgirl!

Marica-- You will be a loser like the rest of us in NO time!

It is so nice to see such commitment! Marcia.. you are being wise in doing one thing at a time. Sometimes it’s just too much to do it all at once! Congrats on going to the gym! That is a great first step to take for sure! You are doing all the right things! I totally agree with researching the plans and customizing something that will be perfect just for you! Remember, the key to keeping the weight off is to make your plan for losing become your plan for life too! I am so proud of you!! I’m really glad you’re here and I am really glad that you find our group motivational and positive! Being positive is a real motivation for losing weight and without it, I would not have been successful to this point!

Welcome again to both of you!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:40 PM   #6  
2006 - Panda Remix

Welcome to the 100lb club Marcia!

I really think you will succeed at losing weight because you are taking the time to think and plan what will really work for you. You are being realistic in your goals and not trying to do too much too soon,and you are also looking at the emotional and psychological reasons as to how you got here - sounds like a recipe for success to me!

Now all you need to do is keep up the exercise, and find the diet that is right for you - that is one that you can stick to for the long term. Oh yes, and come here often for all the support, advice and encouragement you need!

All the best

Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:16 PM   #7  
Losin' it forever!

Welcome, marcia! So glad you found us and I look forward to getting to know you!

I only knew I was a loser as of today when I finally weighed in after three weeks and found I had lost 10 1/2 pounds (My post had said "Almost 10" and I realized that my math sucks when I'm excited! ) Anway, the one thing I stress is moving! I think it makes weight loss easier, faster and it makes you feel better physically almost immediately. It's kind of like instant gratification. You will find that the more you do, the more you will become able to do! I started out slowly and have increased even after just three weeks.

Good luck to you and feel free to jump into any and all discussions and start a few! I havent been here long, but have already discovered that we love to talk!

Kim
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:48 PM   #8  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Welcome, Marcia, and congratulations on successfully making your first and second steps! You were wise to come here for support, and wise also to begin to make commitments to yourself. Think long-term, but take it one achievable goal at a time and you'll see yourself progressing sooner and better than you can even imagine right now.

Very nice to have you join us -- I look forward to getting to know you better and hearing of your successes!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:57 AM   #9  
Getting back on track!

Hello and welcome you big loser to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Annie-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:38 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

oh my goodness.. i'm so impressed with you newbies... such positive attitudes and realistic goals...

as for that cooking thing.. yeah, it's not easy sometimes. but there are ways to combine the best of both worlds. i strongly suggest getting an already roasted chicken from the grocery store and rounding it out with sensible sides... bagged salad with lf dressing. maybe a baked potato - nuked of course [no sense actually COOKING] or brown rice from the local chinese takeout.

keep posting!!! and moving..
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:54 PM   #11  
Live for the Moment!

Welcome!

Post often... and read ALOT! There's tons of information and inspiration here, its like a wealth of weight loss positivity!

Hope to see you around
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:02 AM   #12  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

Welcome! This is a wonderful forum filled with loving and supportive people! Im glad to see how positive you are and I am sure you will acheive your goals if you just keep it up! There is a great group of people here and I know you will enjoy it as I do. Keep up those good thoughts!

Lake Girl - Congrats on 10+!!!!! Great work!!!!!
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote