Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 03:17 PM   #1  
FerretNose

Lightbulb Water- drastic measures.

I've never been a big water drinker. But ever since I began changing my fitness and nutrition lifestyle, I have become convinced that drinking water is essential- I literally stop losing weight and feel like crap when I don't get enough water. I eat more, and don't feel like exercising at all when that happens. I found a solution. Read on, then tell me what you think, and add to it if you will- I have found that a heck of a lot of people have this problem.

The problem was, I simply could not remember to drink it. I'd totally forget for almost the whole day, and then try to cram in as much as possible that night. Well, that's just useless. I am at my best when I drink at least 8-12 spread out over the day, for real. Sometimes, I'd even forget for a couple days, or start out the day drinking it, get distracted, and forget the rest of the day. It seemed like, no matter what I did, I could not remain consistent, which is of course key. Now, how can I remember to drink 6 cups of coffee and diet coke over the day, but not water!?

I tried keeping a bottle of water in the fridge just for me, of the amount for the day, but there it would sit. I tried marking each cup down, but that didn't help my memory a bit. I tried getting my hubby to remind me, but he's worse than me. Arrgh!

Well a few days ago, I finally found a solution that works for me: Like most folks, my fridge is covered with my kid's drawings, coupons, etc. I took all those down, leaving the fridge door devoid of everything. Then, I made myself a poster. It says, it big, bright red letters, "ATTENTION CHUBBY: DRINK YOUR WATER." Below this are 12 circles beside each day of the week, for simply checking off each glass of water. This is hung right beside the handle, at eye level, with a pencil attached. Everytime I go in the kitchen, BAM! There it is. I can't begin to tell you how well this has worked for me. I haven't missed a glass in several days.

I am going to get one of those dry-erase boards to make a more attractive water-reminder for the fridge. Maybe hang some "fat" pics of myself on it. Here's the thing: I have always hated the word "chubby". Of all the euphemisms for fat in all the world, I hate it most. I can handle being called chunky, lard-butt, fat, etc, but not "chubby". The word simply grates my nerves. So it gets my attention every time. If I notice myself forgetting it, I'll change colors and words.

If anyone else tries this silly idea of mine, I would suggest using, in eye catching colors, any word that ALWAYS draws your eye. How bout' "SEX"? hahahaha!

Now, I'll be doing good if I can remember to get the darn thing off the fridge when company comes over. Everyone else in the house has had a good time teasing me about it- but hey, it works for me. But I gotta figure out a way to jog my memory about water when I'm not at my house. Maybe there's some little device out there that will beep annoyingly every couple hours or so and flash a programmed message on a little screen "attention chubby: drink your water."

Regards,
FerretNose
Old 09-12-2004, 03:18 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Good idea! Thanks for sharing. I'm bad about getting my water in also. I need to hang a sign over my desk at work, where I am lacking the most in the water department. I also hate the word chubby. I was called that one-too-many-times as a little girl.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:41 PM   #3  
Samantha

I also had a hard time getting my water in, so what I did is simple: I stopped drinking anything else! I used to think that it was so hard to drink that much water in a day! Well, of course it was, since I was also drinking 3 or 4 cokes, coffee, etc all day long! Now, all I have is one ounce of Cuban coffee in the morning, and water the rest of the day. One of the hardest things I have ever done is to give up Cokes, but now that I have, I have more energy than ever before! And I have developed a taste for water like I used to have for Coke. It's great!
Old 09-12-2004, 08:27 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

For anybody having a hard time getting in their water, try a water filter. We have a Brita filter and the difference in taste is amazing. I can't drink straight tap water at all. Blech! The filters are much cheaper than bottled water, and the taste is comparable.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:35 PM   #5  
Cranky Princess

I agree about the filter. I have a Filtered Pitcher I got at Wal-Mart (i think i payed around $20 for it) and I always keep it full in my fridge. I too am super bad about drinking enough but with that and the help of my new best friend the lemon, it seems to go down easy. Plus I always have containers on hand to fill them up and take the water with me.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:35 AM   #6  
singletrack chick

i bought a 32 oz. bottle that i carry with me everywhere i go. before i go out, i fill it to the brim and put it in my bag. when my bag starts bothering my shoulder, i drink some water. i always have water with me no matter what. that makes it a lot easier for me personally to get all my drinking in. my bottle is covered with stickers of places i have been. its unbreakable and thathas been tested plenty of times believe me. i used to have a hard time drinking a lot of water too, but now, its all i drink beside coffee in the morning and maybe some mint tea before bed.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:36 PM   #7  

Like Laura, I too primarily only drink water these days. Once you get used to drinking lots of water, believe it or not, you will eventually just want water all the time! It will become a part of your lifestyle. It will NOT happen overnight. Trust me, that I know!! I, also, don't go anywhere without my bottle of water on me. As a result, I have no excuse not to get all my water in everyday, and of course, I am less prone to pick up a diet drink if my water is readily available.
Good luck! I know you can do it!
CAROL
Old 09-13-2004, 11:27 PM   #8  
Samantha

It probably is not the same for everyone, but for me it took a good week before I didn't want a coke anymore! And those few days were terrible!!! It's amazing how much your body gets used to having so much caffiene, you don't even realize it!!
Old 09-14-2004, 09:34 AM   #9  
singletrack chick

i totally agree with samantha. i just gave up diet coke (again). i work in a deli and we have fountain cokes. i was drinking so much diet coke that it was upsetting my stomach, making me not want to eat or drink any water, and keeping me wired all day long. since i was drinking fountain drinks i wasnt even aware of how much i was really drinking. once i stopped drinking it again, my stomach problems went away and i started drinking my water again hard and heavy. if you dont drink anything, you really will want to drink water.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:45 AM   #10  
Samantha

Smile

Laura - I know how that is - I used to work in a convenience store. I got fountain drinks for free, but if I wanted to drink water, I would have had to pay for it! I am sure glad I wasn't dieting then, because it would have been impossible to try to drink water with that temptation. I have also noticed that I have less problems with my stomach, but I didn't know if it was because I completely gave up fried foods or because of all the water - maybe a combination of the two??? Another thing that motivates me to drink more water - when I have extra time I go to google.com and type in "health benefits of drinking water" I just read some of the articles! If that doesn't make you want to drink more water, I don't know what would!
Closed Thread