South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 01:17 PM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default McDonalds Salads

Are these SB Phase I friendly? Their California Cob Salad with grilled chicken, not fried is really good. it has spinach and lettuce and egg crumbles, real bacon bits, blue cheese crumbles and then the chicken. I put the Newmans Own Balsamic on it (Sugars: 3g) and it was pretty good. Is this SB friendly?? Are any of the McD's salads?
Old 09-12-2004, 01:21 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well because of the bacon bits and blue cheese, I would say no.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:26 PM   #3  
Pending Email Confirmation

I thought those things were allowed? Hmm...Hopefully, there is some salad offered at places that serve it up fast that is allowed. Otherwise, i got nothing around me when I'm out and about.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:31 PM   #4  
Just Me

Bacon isn't allowed, but 2 pieces of turkey bacon are allowed a day. Blue cheese would be allowed if it was low fat, but I don't think the mcdonald's one is. You might want to try subway salads when you are out and about, you can tell them exactly what to put in them.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

How about the Wendy's taco salad? It is basically mixed greens with chili on top. They give you salsa, sour cream and tortilla chips seperately.

Some of the McSalads should be fine as not all of them have cheese/bacon on them, as long as you get the protein grilled & not fried. I've had their fiesta salad and thought it was OP (once you picked out the tortilla strips).
Old 09-12-2004, 07:48 PM   #6  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
Bacon isn't allowed, but 2 pieces of turkey bacon are allowed a day. Blue cheese would be allowed if it was low fat, but I don't think the mcdonald's one is. You might want to try subway salads when you are out and about, you can tell them exactly what to put in them.
I don't get this. I mean, my regular bacon has less EVERYTHING -- fat, calories and 0 carbs... Why isn't it allowed? I used it in lieu of turkey bacon my first 2 weeks on Phase 1 and I dropped 12 lbs. I don't get why it isn't allowed.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:28 PM   #7  
Just Me

Well I don't think bacon isn't allowed because it'd stop weight loss, I think it is not allowed because it is higher in saturated fat. Personally, I don't think bacon should be allowed at all.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:38 AM   #8  
cac

I eat the McDonals Cesear salad with grilled chicken when I am on the road. It is SBF.

cac
Old 09-13-2004, 08:06 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Gee, cac, what about the croutons and bacon? And what's in the dressing? The grilled chicken sounds great though.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:58 AM   #10  
I got Madonna tickets!

I ate a little bacon during phase 1 and 2 of the south beach and didn't have any issues. My overall fat content was low, and for me, it made eating salads a little more palatable. I also ate full fat cheese, and have lost about 25 pounds total (i have about 30 total to lose).

The best thing about this diet is everyone is different. I eat very low-fat over-all so I found that a little bacon and full-fat cheese here and there are fine. So maybe it's not to the letter of the South Beach, but it's important to remember that everyone is different and if having a McDonalds salad, that you LIKE, ever so often keeps you OP, then I personally think there is no harm in that. I also really enjoy the McD's salads, and when you are in a hurry, it's an option I can live with. Everyone's different.

Jenn.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:35 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Remember, chicks, that the reason Dr. A designed this diet in the first place was for heart health and good blood chemistry, not weight loss. Real bacon has such a high saturated fat content that I would run away screaming! Turkey bacon is much better in the sat. fat issues, but still not perfect. I haven't tried Morningstar's veggie bacon yet...if it's good, that might be the best option yet.

As for the salad, bleu cheese is allowed...see many recipes in the SBD book and SBD cookbook for more info on that. You just want to use a small amount because it, too, is high in saturated fat.

So try the same salad, but ixnay on the bacon, okay?

The Fiesta meat has all sorts of odd ingredients, and several of them are either corn based, or have wheat in them, so it's not a great choice, and not a choice at all in phase 1.

I'd check the contents of Wendy's chili as well to make sure there is not wheat or corn additives.

Also check the chicken at McD's to see if sugar is added...some of them do.

Eating out at fast food places is hard! Can you get to a salad bar at a restaurant (Fresh Choice, Souplantation, Pizza Hut, Ruby Tuesday's) or at a grocery store and make your own salad? At a grocery store, you can get some meat in the deli and make your own cobb salad. Yum!
Old 09-13-2004, 09:49 AM   #12  

I think it depends on how often you eat something if it matters if it is a little off plan. I typically eat out once a weekend for lunch (or less) and I try to stay away from McDonalds. What would be perfect would be the side salad from Wendy's with the dressings from McDonalds. Note that Wendy's side salad does have carrots so I didn't eat it in Phase 1. I typically get a Wendy's side salad (with dressing from home since I don't like creamy ranch) and a small chili.

The chili has: Ground Beef, Chili Base (Tomatoes, Salt, Citric Acid, Calcium Chloride), Chili Seasoning (Maltodextrin, Tomato, Salt, Modified Corn Starch, Chili Pepper, Sugar, Onion, Spices, Dextrose, Garlic, Soybean Oil, Xanthan Gum (thickener), Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Citric Acid, Disodium Inosinate and Guanylate [flavor enhancers], colored with Paprika, Artificial Flavor, Silicon Dioxide [anti-caking agent]), Kidney Beans (Kidney Beans, Water, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Salt, Natural Flavorings, Onion, Calcium Chloride, Disodium EDTA [preservative]), Chili Beans (Pink Beans, Water, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Salt, Natural Flavorings, Onion, Calcium Chloride), Vegetable Mix (Onions, Celery, Peppers). Not perfect by any means but better than what I have seen at McDonalds.

The small chili has 200 calories, 2 grams of saturated fat and no trans fats, 5 grams fiber, 5 grams sugar and 17 grams protein. It does have 870 mg of sodium which is one reason I try to have it only once a week or less.

Three of McDonalds dressings appear okay from having 3 grams of sugar or less: Newman's OwnŽ Creamy Caesar Dressing and Newman's OwnŽ Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette as well as Newman's OwnŽ Salsa but the caesar dressing has 190 calories and 3.5 grams of saturated fat.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:58 PM   #13  

Default Wendy's chili

Is Wendy's chili allowed for Phase 1? Or is the 'sugar' in the ingredient a no-no?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2004, 01:11 PM   #14  

I think it would be best to wait until Phase 2 since you really want to detox in Phase 1. Chili is so easy to make. Why don't you make up a big pot of the crockpot chili? It is so good and so easy.

I really tried to minimize the amount I ate out in phase 1 but I know that not everyone is able to do that.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:38 PM   #15  

Default agreed

You're right. I just checked the ingredients, etc. which says there is sugar and corn syrup in the chili

I was looking for something fast and cheap for lunch. I just went for a hamburger w/american cheese and no bun or ketchup.
Closed Thread