South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 09:42 AM   #1  

Default Considering SB, but....

I am not a big meat eater. Is this doable? I could maybe see myself eating fish/seafood a few days a week, but that's about it. Currently, I eat lots of pasta and breads (and junk!)...so skipping meat is easy.

Any suggestions?

I would like to start this weekend if I can build enough food options.

Last edited by redswirls; 09-10-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:07 AM   #2  

You would need to have a healthy source of protein but there is nothing that says it must be meat. We have several vegetarians who follow South Beach and do quite well. Beans are a great source of protein and tofu is allowed. What type of protein are you getting now?
Old 09-10-2004, 11:43 AM   #3  

I am lacking protein in my present diet. I cannot stand beans or tofu. I do eat eggs, but seldom eat yolks that have the bulk of protein. I have added nuts in moderation, but my diet has mainly been processed crap...a ton of carbs!

My parents are both diabetic, which is controlled by meds. I am looking at SB to reduce my carbs and to be more aware of my higher risk of having high blood sugar levels. I am not diabetic now and consider myself fairly active, but I know that can easily change if I don't make dietary changes.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:43 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Definitely need to make sure you eat protein, you'll have to do things like make sure you eat your serving of nuts every day, eat a lot of legumes, get in your dairy, if you eat eggs, be sure to eat your eggs. Are you willing to eat meat mixed with stuff? The white chili recipe in the recipe forum is quite good, the recipe calls for chicken but you can omit the chicken if you want. Definitely include fish/seafood in your diet when you are willing.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #5  
Just Me

I just read your second post but really you need to get protein in your diet somehow, not just for SBD but any healthy diet plan you may follow needs to have complete proteins in your diet. How do you like tuna? The canned albacore tuna is quite good especially adding a bit of mayonnaise, mustard, spices, tomatoes, celery, etc.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:58 AM   #6  

I am a strange eater! Always have been. Tune is not good...it is considered cat food in our house. (spoiled cats!). I may try and incorporate more fish or even chicken breasts into my diet to give SB a try. I have only come up with the eggs, nuts, and PB as protein sources I would eat off the list.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:04 PM   #7  

Does anyone have suggestions on incorporating soy in your diet? I'm wondering if that is another thing to consider, yet I not too sure what all forms are out there. I will not drink milk/soy milk products.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:14 PM   #8  

Well, if chicken is an option there are many ways to cook that. Same for fish. Maybe look to Japanese recipes for soya ideas? What about cheese?

Good luck with your weight loss!

Here is an excerpt from a CBS News article on SB and Vegetarianism:

"So what does a South Beach vegetarian eat?

Lots of vegetables, beans, legumes and soy products. Fruit and whole-grain foods - like whole-wheat pasta and old-fashioned oatmeal -- are allowed in moderation in the second and third phases of the diet.

If the vegetarian eats eggs and dairy products, those are allowed too -- as long as dairy is low-fat.

The first phase of the three-phase diet is the most restrictive, cutting out all fruit, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and baked goods. It lasts for two weeks and promises eight to 13 pounds of weight loss.

Vegetarians might not see a dramatic weight loss in the first phase, said South Beach dietitian Marie Almon, because they are eating more carbohydrates than meat eaters.

In the next two phases, more fruit and other carbs are reintroduced. "
Old 09-10-2004, 12:58 PM   #9  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

I too, am vegetarian, however since starting south beach almost 3 weeks ago, I have picked up eating chicken and fish. You almost have too. I lost 9.5 in my first two weeks. I love the cheese option. and even the nuts. I eat a lot of "legal" veggies. I love SB, it is so easy.

Annie
Old 09-10-2004, 01:28 PM   #10  
Just Me

The reason i said albacore tuna is because it isn't the normal canned tuna, smoked tuna (if you can find it) is good as well. I have been having a rough time adding regular fish (not shellfish) to my diet because i am not the biggest fan of fish taste/smell. I really like the albacore tuna and it comes in big chunks or shredded, I like the shredded for making tuna salad.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:25 PM   #11  
Working for the Cruise!

Shrimp was the easiest thing for me to add to my diet. We also do clam bakes and other shellfish here. I ate near vegetarian for Gabe Mirkin and there are lots of ways to pack in your protein without eating a whole lot of meat. I'm not a fan of beef or pork or plain fish. Here are my suggestions:

Try cottage cheese. If you don't like the texture so much try adding it to dishes after blending in the blender or food processor. I have a breakfast cheesecake recipe that includes blended cottage cheese and it is PROTEIN PACKED. That's why it is so wonderful for breakfast.

Natural Peanut Butter can be another friend to you, as long as you eat it within reason. I make a protein shake for snacks at times and the peanut butter adds tons of good healthy fats and proteins.

Eat yogurt for dairy daily.

Pick up some protein whey powder to make breakfast shakes.

Veggie Burgers and dogs are packed with protein.

The only way I eat soy is a soy burger. I think they're great!

Once you hop on Phase II start adding different grains, or as SB calls them, legumes. Brown rice is a staple in our home. So many ways to cook it. Pick up a rice cooker if this is the route you plan to take. They are great! Barley can be used just like Brown Rice for a different texture. There are other grains that we use for breakfasts and side dishes such as Quinoa that we used frequently. Satisfaction and taste are key elements!

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2004, 02:25 PM   #12  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

nelie -- good fish isn't supposed to smell like, well, fish. If it does, it's bad!

Try going to a real butcher and starting off with a mahi-mahi or flounder. Salmon is good too -- but I didn't always think so. I had to aquire a taste for it. And now I love it!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 03:25 PM   #13  

AdiaFaith, legumes are beans, not grains.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:46 PM   #14  
Working for the Cruise!

woops, thought they were all lumped together. Barbies on the brain here, sorry ladies.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:47 PM   #15  
Just Me

jenne, I know about smelling fresh fish but things like regular canned tuna (not the albacore kind) smell fishy as well as when you cook the fish, the fish smell comes out. I can eat salmon some days, but i easily get sick of it, so I am not doing that. I bought some chilean sea bass which was ok but not great. I'm working on the fish thing, last night I had collosal shrimp! mmm they taste like lil lobsters, i love shellfish, its the regular fish I have to work on.
Closed Thread