Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 01:04 PM   #1  

Default Let's Support Each Other III, We ran out of room again, come join us for support!

Well, here we are on a new thread. Please feel free to join in, there are some of us who've been doing this together for several weeks and some who are new. We welcome you and our objective is to chat about what is working and not working for us. We have helped get each other though some difficult times in a weigh loss journey, such as death of a friend, illness, vacations (fun, but a stumbling block!).
We're good friends now and hope to support each other!
Come join us!
Linda in NH
Old 09-08-2004, 02:40 PM   #2  

Linda - Thanks for starting the new thread. The other was getting a bit too big.

Dawny - Thanks for the kind words. DH's birthday is 9/11, and it hasn't been much for celebrating the past few years, poor guy. I just got an e-mail this morning forwarding a newpaper article about an ex-boyfriend (first love) that is now a Marine in Iraq. I have not heard from him for about 9 years, so I can't really describe the feeling it gave me, but I will definately add him and his family to my prayers. My brother-in-law is going to be sent over (National Guard) in a few weeks and that has been really hard for his Wife to deal with. I really get tired of mean people causing trouble.

Nat - I have been wondering where you are from. Duh, didn't think to ask! I am not a techno-girl, so I still think it is great that we have the internet to connect us! The WW Family really is huge! (no pun intended)

Last edited by Emerald; 09-08-2004 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:18 AM   #3  

Hi everyone, thank goodness for a new thread, I think we have all had a few pc probs lately, and whether its to do with the length of the last one or not remains to be seen, but this is worth a try. Glad we're all still together!

WI last night was ok. I stayed the same, which I guess considering there was no exercise the past 2 weeks due to the dreaded 'illness', whatever it might be, and TOM then thats not too bad. Anythings better than a gain, but even a small gain would have been ok. Now I'm working hard to get everything back on track, and who knows after 2 weeks of nothingness then being back to normal may kick things into gear a bit.
Oh Melanie, what a day for DH to have a birthday. Its going to make things hard every year. My AJ was just 5 days old on 9/11 and as I sat holding him in my arms and watching the devastation on tv, I just sobbed and wondered what kind of world I had brought my little boy into. All the nasties that are going on all over the world at the moment should make us appreciate what we have, hold everything very dear close to us at all times and maybe just not worry so much about the little things.

How did your WI go Melanie, have you broke your 00's yet?

At our meeting last night, we have pledged to make no more excuses now if we have a bad week. We have all had a summer of vacations, barbecues, parties and general excuses as to why we haven't lost as much weight as we could have done. Although we all have 'dodgy' moments, all we should put it down to is not sticking to the plan, and not blaming everyone and everything around us. It's only us that put that extra sticky bun into our mouths. No one forces these things down our throats. No more excuses now ladies, it's only 16 weeks until Christmas, (I'm sure you will thank me for reminding you of that one, seeing as Summer is barely over!) Lets blast everyone away with our new image by Christmas, Just think how many pounds we can lose by then. I'm still aiming for goal by then. 16 Pounds in 16 weeks is possible. Lets do it!!!

Sermon over. Back later.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:30 AM   #4  

Dawny- Don't be harsh on yourself, I'd call staying the same for 2 weeks a miracle, considering you've been sick and housebound. You should be thrilled you haven't gained anything, so now nothing sets you back, you can continue from exactly where you were before. That's a good thing.

TOM is here again, which for me means a slight lack of appetite, so I hope that's a good thing! My tummy aches a bit, I'll probably take a painkiller later. I didn't realise it's 16 weeks until Christmas! I'm kinda happy that summer ends, it wasn't a good one for me, and it's always harder to stay focused during the summer. Winter seems a much better season for losing weight, don't you agree? 16 pounds in 16 weeks, now that's a nice goal!! I bet we can all do it together. It's much more fun dieting with all the support and occasional chatting we do here! We really are a great team!

The tragedies that happen in the world affect us all, in one way or another. The latest one in Russia left me broken-hearted. It's so unbelievably sad, and illogical for such incidents to take place. Nothing else I can add to the subject, let's hope everything will turn towards good.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:38 AM   #5  

Greetings, all! I’m over here in KY, USA doing my happy dance! I did it! WI last night put me under 200!!! Yippee!! I lost 1.4#. Anyone want to dance with me? Cha-cha-cha…

I’m still trying to get used to the 24 points (stepped down). Last week, I used about 30 FPs. I guess that is what I am supposed to do, and I did have a loss. But, I miss those 2 points, and it makes me nervous about stepping down again. It doesn’t seem right to eat less than that. But, then… I guess that mindset is what got me here.

Dawny – I agree with Natalie. No gain after the 2 weeks you have had is a great accomplishment! I’m glad you got to go to the meeting. It sounds like it was very motivational for you. I’ve been going through the same thing. One week, it’s DH’s grandfather’s birthday with ice cream cake. The next week, it’s a holiday and trip to my mother’s house. This weekend, DH’s birthday and banana split night for the kids at church. Next week, well… you get the picture. I could say, “SPECIAL OCCASION” just about everyday! But, that wouldn’t help me reach my goal. Actually, I was very fortunate over the weekend trip that my mother took efforts to cook healthy for me and I pitched in on chopping veggies and making a low point dessert. I ate most of a cantaloupe by myself. I have searched the past few days, but cannot find one to compare. It was ripened perfectly. Ooooo… I want more!

Natalie – I didn’t realize Christmas was that close either! Eek! Thanks a lot, Dawny! Oh, well. I wish we could save points from week-to-week so I could have about 60 extras for that holiday!

Strange how TOM effects people differently. TOM is the reason that I was holding the carton of ice cream two nights ago! Okay, I was the one who went to the freezer, but I still say it was TOM’s fault. But, last night, I ate half a sf ff pudding pack and didn’t want the rest.

Well, they don’t pay me to chat with you gals all day. Gotta go. I’ll check back with you later.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:46 AM   #6  
Running Babe

Morning all,

I am not new to 3FCs or WW, I got to goal 3 years ago, got well under goal (down to 140 which was too thin for me) gained almost 30lbs over in 3 years and now am just about 10lbs over where I should be (yah!). I started going to meetings regularly this summer and that has helped oodles. I have lost 10.5lbs since I started on July 20th. I am 26, a clerk/researcher/go to gal and work for the government here. I am doing core this week and am enjoying it. I love flex too though.

Dawn: Excuses are my downfall It's easier I find to lose weight in a routine. I think my only advantage for losing weight in the summer is that my appetite decreases when it's hot and muggy.

Cheers!

Ali
Old 09-09-2004, 09:49 AM   #7  
Running Babe

Emerald: It feel good doesn't it!! I remember getting below 200lbs almost 4 years ago.. hat was a great early Christmas present for me. In fact once I got below 200 I fully believed I could get to goal!!

Cheers!

Ali
Old 09-09-2004, 10:53 AM   #8  

Melanie, that is fabatastical news!!! I knew you was going to do it this week. Just think what you could have lost if TOM hadn't been an univited visitor too! Thats one milestone gone now for you, I'm so pleased. What's your next one going to be?

Welcome Ali, It's nice when we start a new thread because we get alsorts of new visitors popping in to see what we are up to. You are near to goal again now, it must feel great to know that you CAN do it, and this time, you WILL stay there!

If there are any other 'lurkers' out there who like to read our innermost thoughts about weightloss and this and that, don't keep lurking, come and say hello, we don't bite and who knows, we may all make a few new friends out of this.

Talking of lurkers, where's Dale and Fiona, not heard from you guys for a while now.
How are you doing?

Oh well, gotta go again now. I've just eaten a packet of lite crisps for 1.5 points, and thats taken me to 12 for the day so far, not leaving me too many for the rest of the day. I do like to save one or two for supper to save me from the munchies if I'm watching tv. But if I will insist on using 18 points total for the day, then I only have myself to blame. If I can lose the next 2 pounds, then I will officially be in the 18 point zone anyway, but then where will I squeeze an extra point here and there from in the evening when I really need them? At the moment if I've used 18 and need a little assistance before bed, if you know what I mean, I can at least go into my other two points up to 20, but not for much longer. OH, waffling again, ignore me. Back later.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:29 PM   #9  

Lightbulb sueccess and reflecting on serious times

Hi guys! This new thread downloaded quite quickly, for me that was a great thing, no computer freezes! Yippee!
Melanie, under 200 - way, way cool for you!
No more excuses for me, either, guys - time to get to work! I've been back on program for three days, my scale has not moved but I am forever hopeful! It will happen!
Welcome Ali! Sounds like you belong with us! We'll give you some extra encouragement. WE all need it! Nice to have you with us.
Natlie, I didn't know where you were from as well, so cool! Are you from there originally?
Today has been good for me, stayed right on my core program, but am within flex point ranges as well. I have incredible will power right now!
Dawny, I think you did very well staying the same without meetings, being sick and not exercising! Congrats!
The 9/11 anniversary shall be a grim one, forever, what a bad day for a birthday. Maybe you guys should start celebrations on the 9th or 11th? But, we must move on from that terror, we can't let that act haunt us all our lives. We need to reflect and think, but we also need to try to find solace.
I was also deeply sorrowful about the Russia school tragedy as well. What is it that motivates these barbarians? To do this kind of thing to children. I don't think they will get what they wanted by doing what they did, either, I think it only added to people's anger at terrorism in general? Those poor children and their families, I pray for them.
I hate war, I hate violence, yet I strongly feel that our country (and those who have joined us there) must do something and must take a stand someplace and some time. We can't just sit around and wait for them to attack us again! Hope that remark is not offensive to anyone. I don't mean it to be. I have some friends who are very against the war. We can't talk about it any longer without getting in an arguement. I would rather have some other way, but these people don't seem to know how to deal in other ways. I don't get it.
At any rate, we will all experience certain emotions on 9/11, we must NOT transfer those emotions into emotional eating. Time to take action in another way on that day.
Firstly, we must tell our loved ones we love them and give them an extra hug!
We must reflect on what is GOOD in this world, and there certainly is!
I do think I might do something to help others that day.... I have been working on gathering quilters together to make quilts for the families of service men and women who have been killed in Iraq. I will probalby work on that on Saturday, my way of paying tribute. I am also thinking of planting a bush or tree on my property as my 9/11 "living tribute". I am full of ideas and want to make the day a special memorial "celebration" of sorts, not a happy "celebration", but a day of reverence and remembering.
Hard to imagine your AJ, Dawny, being five days old on 9/11. I had just returned from an antique collector's convention the day before that took place near Boston, and people from all over the world were there. I was in panic about several friends who were flying out of Boston on 9/11, all of them were ok in the end, but on several planes that were grounded. One couple were grounded halfway between Boston and CA and rented a car to drive home from Ohio, they were too upset to fly and planes were grounded for a few days anyway. It was hard to track them down, but I finally did!
I paniced that day, got funds from the bank, put gas in the car (was hugged by a lady at the gas pump in the next car over who I never saw before in my life) and packed family necessities (which are STILL packed to this day all ready "in case") and thought about my kids, who were in school. We were told they were "safe" there and we should leave them there, but I kept wanting them with me - but stuck by what I was told.
A very rough day for so many.
Linda in NH, not letting all the bad things make me eat!

Last edited by derrydaughter; 09-09-2004 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-2004, 04:33 AM   #10  

HI all, I feel full of beans this morning, I've just walked AJ to nursery, (I'm still off work until Tuesday), had a nice cup of tea in the garden, reading my new WW magazine, and I MAY even dig out an exercise video for later, I may even do it, who knows!
I don't think the scales have moved either since Weds, but I also feel positive and ready to face the world, whatever it has to throw at me!

Linda, although I obviously sympathise deeply with the troubles of 9/11, I find it hard to comprehend quite how much it has affected you all in the US. My cousin, who lives in Newark, NJ, lost a friend then who was one of the air stewardesses on one of the planes. Plus a friend of mine at work, lost 2 dear friends in the Bali bombing a short while afterwards. It is things like this that bring it closer to home to us who are so far away. It is so sad, and yet you are right. We must remain positive, look to the future and enjoy what's around us. And yes, not do too much comfort eating if we can help it - again, it is no excuse for filling our faces with yummies. And for putting an extra few inches on our waistline!

We had a programme on tv last night about the problems of obesity in this country. They were comparing us to the US and saying that we are now not far behind you! I thought this was a strange way of making us eat less, but the message they were trying to put across was right - we need lifestyle changes, for life, not just as a whim!
They are getting 200 people off of one street and challenging them all to change their lives, by losing weight, getting fit, and psychologically changing the way that they think about a healthy lifestyle. Then, they will see if it lasts, or fades away when the cameras go away. I will watch with interest to see if any of them can stick to it, lets face it, if we can do it, anyone can!

Ok, off for now, see ya later.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:56 AM   #11  

Lightbulb

Interesting experiment with the 200 people, let us all know how that works out, Dawny. They've done things like that here in the US as well. I especially liked one of our morning tv programs taking a group of teens who were overweight and putting them through a diet and exercise program (the kids did this quite willingly) and the differences in them were amazing. I would love to see a follow up to see if they have, in fact, stayed in better shape.
We all know it's easier to lose weight than to maintain a weight loss. I truly am getting myself psyched up for that part. I hope it won't be long before I reach my goal. When I do, I recognize that I will be having a totally different lifestyle change, a change that I want to stay with me for the rest of my life. I will be able to add a few more foods, maybe just ONE food extra each day? Or, will I have to eat like I am, but maybe allow myself one special food each week that I am not allowing now? It's all a mystery to me right now, I think it will be "tricky" and I will strive for a balance. I did become a Lifetime member with WW before, but then after awhile felt that I was invincible and stayed away from meetings and re-gained. I went back to ww several times, tried and tried, but still was never able to get back to goal weight. I am determined not to allow that to happen to me again this time. I firmly believe that I will need to go to ww meetings for the rest of my life. I truly want to be a part of their organization it will help me to stay at my desired weight and I hope to be able to share what I have done (and not done in the past) that led to success. I wish I could be doing that right now.
Dawny, the USA is such a varied country. As we are what is called "the melting pot" and are a nation of immigrants, people's reactions and opinions about 9/11 are as varied as the people who make up our culture. One thing that I think happened to the majority of Americans was a "wake up call". We are still in shock, for the most part. I also don't think we, as a "people", are truly anything like we are viewed by other countries. We are not as our celebrities, and our movie culture, shows us to be. The majority of Americans are good folk who have strong values and beliefs. The antics of a few who get on the news and the main populus of our country are like night and day. I get angry sometimes when I think that perhaps those who "hate" American truly view us as the media portrays us or by ONE politician or something. We are not that person, they need to get to know us and then perhaps we would not be hated? My good friend who came from the UK to live here (grew up in the Dorset area, is that near you?) was amazed when she came here, and this was before 9/11, at "flags flying and patriotism" and how common it was to see the US flag just about everywhere. She and her husband were amazed at how often we Americans pause and sing our national anthem, at sporting events and just about anywhere. I cry when I hear our national anthem, by the way, and have always done this as an adult.
We are a proud nation and have felt very invincible in the world, it was such a shock for our people when 9/11 came, it was an unfathomable attack on our soil. No attack, since Pearl Harbor 12/7/41 has been on OUR soil. Perhaps we were living in a dreamworld, but the idea of someone coming over and doing something like that was just beyond us Americans. It was a rude awakening for us to realize that people like Bin Laden and his followers hate us so. I find it so hard to believe that we can be judged by what our "culture" portrays us as vs. individuals who are honest, hard working, loving and caring - those who have families. I have always wished that our enemies would truly KNOW us before they judge us by the few they know. Then, they would not hate us and all of this would not be happening, at least I hope.
At any rate, I am so very proud to be American. I would give my life for my country and am so thankful for countries like yours who have stood by us during this time. So many other countries have not stood by us, but we would be the first to come to their aid if there was ever a problem there. I think that is the most hurtful thing, at least to me, that so many countries have not stood by us at this time. We stand for truth, freedom and are interested in stopping all terrorists. We would not impose what we think on them, yet they do not back us up, as they are fearful.
I feel like we stand alone, at times, yet I am comforted by your country and Tony Blair's firm stand (though he faces lots of protests) to remain by our side. I love that guy! I think we Americans love him more than he is loved in your own country? I'll never forget his face after 9/11 when he was here. He reflected our own horror and he vowed his help and support, he made me cry! It was not a political thing, either, he saw the devastation, hurt and knew what our nation suffered. His face said it all more than his words, I felt. What a guy!
At any rate, way too much info about this vs. our weight loss this morning, yet this 9/11 anniversary is certainly a time of reflection. Also a time to NOT eat!
Today, the scale didn't move again. I ate a very good breakfast of 1/2 cup egg substitute, ff mozarella cheese and stauteed peppers, onion and fresh tomato. I will save my fruit that I usually have with breakfast for a snack later on.
Today, I will do an energetic workout and get on that treadmill! I will drink tons of water and I will see that scale reward me tomorrow! It just HAS to after I've been so good! A good day to be rewarded on 9/11, my way of telling terrorists that they can't get me down!
I shall be planting something tomorrow, I have made up my mind. Not sure what I will pick, but it will be something that is flowering or evergreen - maybe evergreen?
Also, we will do our share to help our economy as well, as my husband might buy a new car tomorrow!
Linda in NH, keeping the faith!

Last edited by derrydaughter; 09-10-2004 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:00 AM   #12  

HI, its me again. Can't keep away this morning. Sorry, afternoon. Linda, you are right about Tony Blair, people over here are criticizing(?) him constantly about his stand with America, but someone has to stand up to these people. By the way, Dorset is at the opposite end of the UK to me I'm afraid. I have been, a past boyfriend of mine (many years ago I hasten to add) lived in Dorset. It's a lovely part of the country though, Somerset too, with its famous cider(!!!) is nearby there, and I love that part of the world. In my neck of the woods, we are celebrating from tomorrow 800 years since we were granted by King John a charter to begin trading our outdoor market. The market is still there today in the centre of town, and is one of the oldest, if not THE oldest in the country. During the festival there will be lots of events, and I'm looking forward to stalls on the market from all over the world which will be selling their wares. Lots of yummies there then. I will just have to try not to indulge too much while I am in a good losing weight frame of mind.
I just got back from a 2 mile walk, I thought I might enjoy the fresh air more than standing in front of an old exercise video, and I'm shattered. I think the fact that I still haven't been out much since being ill is taking it's toll, but I'm getting there.

I've just also had a nice healthy lunch, of baked potato, salad and a little bit of chicken, and have so far for the day had 6 large glasses of water. I will be in the bathroom quite a bit later on, methinks. I do usually have my 8 glasses a day, but spread out throughout the whole day, so to have had this many by lunchtime will make me suffer later, but all in the greater good.

Oh well, we've put the world to rights again. Don't spend too much on the new car Linda, I hate car shopping. Cars and carpet. My worst shopping days out. See ya later.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:21 AM   #13  

I feel a little awful today, I have my period and I fainted twice in the morning. I was in pain and just stood laying in bed. I had some fish for lunch, I still feel a little weak and I have a meeting this afternoon which I can't cancel. I took a painkiller and I'll take one with me in case I start hurting again while outside. Please, send me healthy and pain-free thoughts!
Old 09-10-2004, 09:39 AM   #14  

Hello all. Two days in a roll that I have exercised in the morning. I slept later than intended this morning and only got 20 minutes in, but I’m building on the habit.

Linda – Thank you for your words on our country. Considering that I work in a law office, I often leave very discouraged about my neighbors. It’s hard to remember that the majority of people are not like the 40 or so that have come in the door that day to talk about their 12th husband or criminal offenses. Mmmm… you breakfast sounds so yummy. I didn’t have time after the morning exercise. I’m stuck in the office with a RF poptart and banana. Tomorrow, I will have to fix a good breakfast for DH’s birthday!

DH still won’t tell me what he wants to do for his birthday. He’s been struggling with sinus problems and may not want to do anything. I intend to at least get a good dinner out of it! Hee-hee. I may have to celebrate without him. But with not too many points.

Dawny – your festival sounds like fun. But also a temptation. I wanted homemade ice cream from a stand last weekend, but settled on flavored ice. Good work on your exercise. It’s hard to get started back after an illness. I was off a week with the bad ankle and then a sinus infection. After 2 ½ weeks, it is hard to start back. If DH had not had car trouble causing me to walk home, I doubt I would have done anything last week. (Still waiting for the car BTW. URGH!)

Poor Natalie - So sorry you are feeling so bad! You have my happy thoughts going out to you, and a little prayer. And here's a point-free kiss for you.

Hi, Ali! I think I've seen you around. I'm glad you decided to post. You are doing what I want to do. Yes, getting under that 200 mark was awesome! I have not done that in about 4 years. It makes me feel more "normal", though I will never completely be. My next goal will be get under 190. and I would like to reach 180.5 before Thanksgiving. That will be 50#. My mother has promised a huge shopping trip if I drop 50#. The holiday would be a great time to shop with lots of sales. Too many people, but lots of sales. 18.3# in 11 weeks will be difficult, but not impossible - 1.7# per week.

Yesterday was a good day. I might be getting used to the 24 points. I only used 2 APs and 1FP. I was a tiny bit hungry last night when I was trying to go to sleep, but this morning I have had a glass of juice, but still am not terribly hungry and it is 8:30. I think I was really thirsty and felt hungry or it was just head-hunger.

Today, will be a good day too. I just decided I will cook fish for dinner. Yum….

Last edited by Emerald; 09-10-2004 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:11 PM   #15  
Running Babe

My work is going through rotating strikes so I was on the picket at 6am, but thankfully our shifts are 4 hours long (I chose the 6am one) so I got to go home... I wish we didn't have to strike though

Linda: I was amazed back in '93 when I travelled around New England and saw so many US flags... Ooo a new car, I wish I could get one of those. Maybe next year .

Nat: I am sorry you're not doing too well.. Rest up, tea is always good.

Emerald: I have never or will I ever be normal I like quirky to describe me I have been trained as a paralegal, but I do legal research and tons of other duties now.

Cheers!

Ali
Closed Thread