Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 03:05 PM   #1  

Default Salt Tooth

So, it seems to me that most of the low-cal options that are put out by companies anyway are to help combat sweet-tooth type cravings. Of course I have those sometimes, but mostly I have a salt tooth. I like anything that is salty, powerful, flavorful. I don't even care so much about the medium by which it's delivered, as long as it's salty and flavorful. (Example, I liked baked chips just fine, as long as they don't taste bland.)

Anyway, so to that end, I'm looking for suggestions for things to eat or snack on that will help satisfy my salt tooth and yet won't be super high in calories. There are a few I've found already, but would like to hear other peoples' thoughts:

Pickles
Celery (very salty!)
Frito-Lay's "Smartfood" popcorn (160 cals for almost 2 cups of popped white cheddar popcorn)
Wow chips
SnakKing's El Sabroso salsitas chips (but these are hard for me to find now that I don't live in Texas anymore)
Barcel Cronchis Chile & Limon Spicy wheat snacks (these are puffed wheat, low in calories, but the lime and chili flavor is really strong) -- but again, can't find them up north!

Anybody else?

K.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:44 PM   #2  
i luv my dog!

I'm a salt tooth also, but try to stay away from processed stuff. Some things I like are:
boiled egg w/black pepper
sliced cucumbers with vinegar
hummus dip with bell pepper strips
roasted soy nuts
pickled veggies
Old 09-07-2004, 04:09 PM   #3  

Oohh, all those sound good. I like anything with vinegar, seriously. One of the things I like best for lunch is cucumbers and cherry tomatoes in vinegar with some oregano and pepper.

I agree about processed foods, but I'm one of those workaholic types with a very hectic and deadline-driven schedule (reporter), so I need to be able to have things available on a moment's notice that will be better choices than something else I might reach for.

K.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:51 PM   #4  
i luv my dog!

I forgot to add wasabi peas to the list!
Old 09-07-2004, 06:24 PM   #5  
singletrack chick

oooo i love sodium.

v8 is excellent.
tomatoes with fat free cottage cheese, salt and black pepper
hard boiled eggs with salt and pepper
fat free pringles
spinach dipped in soy sauce. ( i eat this all the the and get the funniest looks. i eat it like chips and dip.)
baked chips and home made salsa or *fake guacamole. (*check the food section, low cal. recipe thread for the recipe.)
cucumbers with salt or dipped in soy sauce

i know i'll think of more
Closed Thread