Old 08-30-2004, 09:41 AM   #1  
CJ
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 184/172/130

Height: 5'4

Default Weekly TG chat - August 30 thru Sept 5

The Thin Group Website

Good morning girls!

I'll be back to post more ... I just wanted to be the BRAT again this week .. lol

Don't forget to check last weeks thread for any posts you didn't see ....
Old 08-30-2004, 01:23 PM   #2  
Conquering with SBD

Good morning, Ms BRAT! I have been so slow these past few weeks and you have beat me to it every time.

I am just popping in for a few minutes to say hello. Must run, the kids are back to school this week and already causing a hullabaloo here. Have a great week. Talk to all soon.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:40 AM   #3  

Hi Ladies!

Popping in for a quick hello. I received this in my e-mail and thought I would share. It's from the Washington Post "Lean Plate Club". I'll try to post more tomorrow!

Have a great day!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Most research has focused on how best to shed pounds -- not on how to maintain the loss for the long haul. So these days, "we're trying to develop whole programs to study this very point," said Rena Wing, professor of psychiatry and human behavior at Brown University School of Medicine and co-director of the National Weight Control Registry, a database of more than 3,000 people who have lost at least 30 pounds and maintained the loss for at least three years.

Until scientists can shed more light on the mystery of weight maintenance, here's what experts advise:

Look at the big picture. "Most diets are a 100-yard dash," said John Norcross, professor of psychology at the University of Scranton and author of "Changing for Good" (Avon). "We know that changing lifestyle is a marathon."

Relax -- a little. Womble advises figuring out small ways to loosen up, not quit. So if you've been recording every morsel that passes your lips and can't bear the thought of writing down another entry, then note what you eat every other day. Or just on weekends. Or just after 3 p.m., if nighttime eating is a problem. "That way," Womble said, "you can get a little bit of a break. These are ways that people can step back a little."

Draw a red line. At the University of Pennsylvania clinic, Womble suggests people in maintenance draw a red line either five or 10 pounds above their current weight. If weight rises above the red line, participants immediately reinstate the full spectrum of habits that worked to help them achieve their weight loss goals.

Make it fresh. Boredom often undermines long-term habits. "So try to create variety," Wing said. "If you always walk, this might be a time to try biking. Same thing with diets. If you're in a rut, this may be the time to get out your magazines and find some recipes. Invigorate yourself."

Recruit a buddy. Being accountable to someone else means that it's not so easy to skip a workout. "If you know a friend is waiting to meet you, you're less likely to not go," Womble said. "I do that myself." Another option: consider a session or two with a personal trainer.

Mix things up. Research suggests that doing different types of physical activity helps create muscle "confusion" so that plateaus -- and boredom -- are less likely to occur. So walk a different route to work. Do the weight machines at the gym in a new order. Work out at a different time of day. Get a pedometer to help boost activities like walking and taking the stairs. You get the idea.

Test yourself. Changing behavior takes time. Figure on at least six months -- often far longer -- to make a new habit a permanent lifestyle change, Norcross said. How do you know when you've reached that point? One test, Norcross said, is that you can engage in the behavior at any time or in any situation. So whether you're under stress, celebrating a holiday or visiting a friend, you have confidence that you still stick with your new routine. For Norcross that test is travel. "The last thing I want to do is to haul my butt out to the exercise facility at a hotel," he said. "But I do it."

The second test is if you can overcome the temptation to slip into old habits with nary a thought. "It's when you can see the dessert cart and it's not gnawing at your soul," Norcross said. That's when "a short-term change has become a permanent lifestyle," he said.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:47 AM   #4  
Conquering with SBD

Good morning everyone.

It is a lousy day here once again. I think that fall has arrived and we are winding summer down. It seems that the summer months speed by so quickly and winter drags on forever. It would be nice to have the seasons the other way around for a bit of a change.

Sylvia, thanks for the article. What is in the article is really just common sense, but I think that we make up excuses to avoid the reality of maintenance on weight loss, or taking the time to exercise. It is nice to have the research to back up the information.

I know that, when I lost all my weight a couple of years ago, I watch my weight go back up when the dr. put me on hormones. I felt really out of control in the situation because I kept cutting back the food, increasing the exercise and still the weight kept rising. I finally became so obsessed with food and realized that it was because I was hungry all the time. Consequently, I abandoned the WW program because I knew that I would not be able to sustain it for a lifetime...I think it was more a mental thing, than it was anything else. However, on SBD, I don't have those feelings of hunger that I was experiencing before, nor the obsession with food. AND, I don't journal everything that I eat to make sure that I stay withing allotted daily points. I just find it so much more convenient for my lifestyle. All I need to remember is what not to put in my mouth...not how much of anything that I have eaten during the day. Soooo, I am not hungry, I am still losing weight, and I don't feel obsessed with food. For me, that is not only a major lifestyle change, but something that I know, in my head, I will be able to sustain for a longer period of time.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:13 PM   #5  

Howdy Ladies!

Popping in for a quick hello. Nico is going to wake up soon so I thought I would pop in. It's been a rough morning for me. I called my Mom to say hello and she started to nag me about my weight. I've been trying to get back in gear and the last thing is my Mom to tell me "just have surgery". She also made some comments about my husband and how she is concerned about my weight and the fact that my husband obviously doesn't care what size I am and that is not healthy. I can't win with these people! First my sister and now my Mom. I'm 9 pounds heavier than when I got pregnant and still 20 pounds lighter than when I lost my job. Not any kind of positive reinforcement from them. My husband has been wonderful. He just tells me that he loves me how I am but he does worry about my health but that is my choice. I'm hurt and upset and it's taking every bit of willpower I have not to go to the freezer and pull out some ice cream right now and just pig out. I have just chugging water chewing on ice cubes like there is no tomorrow instead.

I promise you this. I will do this but at my own pace (whatever that may be). I need to do this for myself and for my baby. Thank you for your support and encouragement, it really means a lot to me.

Nico is almost awake...I better jump into the shower.

Hugs to you all!

Sylvia
Old 09-04-2004, 12:58 AM   #6  

Hello Ladies!

I hope you are all doing well. Nothing new to report here...I did lose 2 pounds but considering that I gained 9 pounds a couple of weeks ago...2 pounds isn't much. I am happy it's a loss and not a gain.

Cat-I read your post on the other thread. Wow, you sure have a lot going on. Don't worry, everything will work out. Maybe your ex just doesn't like to see you happy. Who knows but the best thing you could do is move on and it's what you did. Good luck.

Peggy- I'm hanging in there. Still trying to wean myself off the carbs....one day at a time. How are you doing on SBD?

Mindee- I also read about not working out 2 hours before you go to bed. I think it's because your adrenaline is up and it's hard to go to sleep. Who knows, they keep coming up with different stuff all the time. As long as you exercise, I don't think it makes a difference (in my opinion anyway) Keep up the good work!

CJ- Are you out there! (searching the horizon) I see you in that hot tub drinking butter shots! We miss you!

Sharon- How are you chickie! I hope you are doing well. I got your new e-mail address! Stop by and say hello when you have a chance. Miss you!

OK ladies, I'm off to bed. I hope you all have a wonderful and safe Labor Day weekend!

Sylvia
Closed Thread