Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 08:21 PM   #1  

Default Coffee-- Worth quitting?

I am a serious coffee fiend. I feel almost like I can not live without my coffee, especially in the morning. I have quit quite a few times and suffered through the head aches and crankiness, only to accidentally have a sip of something and be hooked again. I'm wondering everyone's opinions on whether or not it is even worth it to quit. Is coffee really that bad? I have heard that detoxing the diet can help get rid of cellulite (which is a major motivator for me) but can coffee really be considered a toxin?? Any opinions are appreciated!
Old 09-01-2004, 08:41 PM   #2  
Meg

I managed to lose 122 pounds while drinking buckets of coffee (still do), so I don't think it can be all THAT bad!

Seriously, I've given up SO many other things that they'll have to pry the diet soda and coffee out of my cold dead fingers.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:46 PM   #3  

where i live coffee and cigarettes is such a cultural thing it was hard to give up. however i knew i was hooked badly when i would get headaches and feel tired until 2pm if i didn't have a cup or two of coffee. then i decided to see what would happen if i stopped. here's what happened:
i didn't have any coffee for a few hours and started to get a really bad headache. i took two advil and promptly threw them up. so i suffered for a few hours through the worst headache i've ever had. then i started to throw up and "other stuff" and this went on and on. then i slept. when i woke up that was it. over.
ever since when i wake up i'm awake not groggy. i don't need coffee anymore for anyting and have it occasionaly, socialy. sometimes i miss it on weekends, you know those nice lazy mornings but i'm glad i don't need it. and i rarely get headaches at all. so if you try not having any on a non-workday, some day when nothing is planned, you can get over it.
i don't thnk there's anything really wrong with coffee in general but if you get headaches from withdrawl you're addicted and that's not good because if you are ever stuck without any, well you're pretty much scewed no?
coffee has nothing to do with "toxins" and has nothing to do with cellulite. in fact cellulite has nothng to do with "toxins" either. it's just fat.

good luck
gen
Old 09-01-2004, 09:46 PM   #4  

I've actually heard that cellulite is the result of fat as well as toxins that are built up and bulging between the connective tissue. Who knows though....I wish someone would come up with a cure. Its depressing to lose weight and still have to deal with cellulite and stretchmarks
Old 09-01-2004, 10:53 PM   #5  

i've heard that too about the toxins and cellulite but it's not true. unfortunately because then we would just have to get rid of the toxins and voila! it's too bad that women's fat is considered more unsightly than men's fat. go figure. naomi wolfe has good book about that The Beauty Myth.
chin up
gen
Old 09-01-2004, 10:56 PM   #6  
Searching

Coffee--worth quitting? What do you think I am superhuman?

Chris
Old 09-01-2004, 11:29 PM   #7  

A day without coffee is like a day without sunshine, esp. here in Florida!!1I have to have my two cups of coffee a day!It may be addictive, but it sure keeps me in a good mood!
CAROL
Old 09-02-2004, 10:10 AM   #8  
singletrack chick

i tried to give up caffine cofee mainly about a week ago. i made it for four days. those four days i could barely function. i couldnt think, i couldnt move hardly. i felt so extremely drained. right now im sipping on a cup. i dont want to give it up. i love it. i gave up drinking diet soda and i stick to my cofee and cafinated teas. i tried to give it up because i too was going to go on the detox diet, but i think i might have to try it with the cofee.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Hmmm, I'm thinking that something you "can't do without" (other than sleep or food!) to function properly throughout the day isn't a good thing, lol.

Personally, I cut down from probably 12 cups a day to having one "premium" (Starbucks or the like) coffee per day. It was rough at first, but I didn't need the extra calories (I take cream & sugar) AND my sleep patterns have improved (caffeine can stay in your system for up to 12 hours!) AND I've had fewer stomach problems (coffee is tough on the stomach lining). Also, coffee is dehydrating and a diuretic (and did I mention... addictive? LOL). Plus... it gives you bad breath & stains your teeth! Hee!

I love my one coffee everyday, but if I can't have one, it doesn't really affect me that much. Maybe a slight headache, but I can get through those by staying hydrated. My doctor was very happy that I quit drinking so much, and recently my father's doctor told him to quit drinking so much (or switch to decaf) because he has heart problems.

Anywho, I wouldn't want to give it up totally. Just the smell of it makes me happy - I actually walk down the coffee aisle at the grocery store and just breathe in so I can smell it, LOL. But, it really isn't all that good for you...
Old 09-02-2004, 01:52 PM   #10  
singletrack chick

gosh, 12 cups a day, 10 cups a day. i feel good about my 1.5 cups a day. i only drink it in the morning and then im good for the rest of the day. i just need a jump start. if i dont have my jump start though, its all over.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:13 PM   #11  

All this talk about coffee being a diuretic....I've finally figured out why I pee 35 times during the day and twice that during the night.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:02 PM   #12  

when i was waitressing or working in an office i used to drinks over ten cups a day, always a pot on. crazy stuff.

sheila, that was hilarious.

gen
Old 09-02-2004, 10:04 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

I drink 2-3 coffees in the morning only... If I have one after noon I sometimes have a difficult time to sleep... Like today I had one at 5pm, I should have a **** of a time to sleep tonite... But I won't QUIT it all together... I haven't quit salt all together either but I will add some to salads just for a taste... Good golly no fat, no sugar, exercise your brains out! I guess we can indulge in a bit of coffee and a dash of salt once in a while!!

Sheila -- I thought your post was cute too... ...
Old 09-06-2004, 10:15 AM   #14  

I agree with Meg, they'll have to pry my coffee and diet coke from my cold dead fingers! I don't think I'd even attempt to give up either one and the coffee is my mainstay all morning, at least 5-6 cups a day, then a couple of diet cokes. Youngest dd gave up all caffiene (she's not a coffee drinker) when she started college last year, had major headaches for a few weeks. Our friend's son did the same thing when he started college (different colleges and different years but maybe this is a college thing these days?). Anyway, he also had major headaches for a few weeks. They both even gave up chocolate so I know I can't do that!
Old 09-07-2004, 12:28 AM   #15  

I also tried to cut coffee out of my diet. The first day by noon I was feeling really bad. I had NO energy and a bad headache. I was totally moody. I kept up with no caff. for 3 days. It just wasnt worth it to me. I decided I would never try that again!
Closed Thread