Old 08-31-2004, 04:26 PM   #1  
Losin' it forever!

Default Question for those of you who have been there

Soooo....I started exercising this week for the first time in well....a couple of years, other than the normal day to day stuff like house cleaning etc. I've done a mile and a half on the treadmill at the YMCA the last two days. Here is my question: At what point do I start weight training with the resistance machines, etc? Do I wait until I start losing?

Thanks, gang!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:32 PM   #2  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

NOOOOO! Why wait?? Start now and your cardio workouts will become more productive as you're adding muscle. Additionally, as you're adding muscle, your metabolism will increase. And through resistance training, your flexibility is increased as well as getting a HUGE caloric expenditure bump!

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

No, start now. If your Y offers it (and I would think it would), get an orientation to the machines and weights. The staff member should explain proper form, and figure out how much weight you should be lifting as well as seat height, etc. If you start now, once the fat starts to fall off, you'll have some incredible muscles to show for your efforts, plus you'll be a lot more toned at a higher weight, which translates into lower clothing sizes pretty quickly. That was my personal experience.

You'll be surprised at how much weight you can lift now, but when you think about it, we're hoisting quite a bit of weight around every day so we're a lot stronger than we think we are. Good luck!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:35 PM   #4  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Nope, you can start ASAP with weight training, in fact the sooner the better as it is proven that you will lose faster when incorporating weight training with cardio. Larger and toned muscles burn more calories and raise your metabolism level so you use more calories even when you aren't exercising! Make sure though that you have a qualified person show you how to use the machines as they can be complicated. If you aren't using them right it can be worse than not using them at all as you could injure yourself.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 05:09 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I had a knee problem (badly strained knee ligament) when I started working out, so I mostly avoided cardio for nearly 3 months, during which point I lost 30 lbs by healthy eating and lifting weights. I would say start lifting now. If you plan to mix cardio and weights into a single session, do the weights first. Also, definitely try to get a tour/explanation of the machines and how to use them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 05:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

When I did the weights, I started right away... My gym closed and so I was not doing them for a while.. I'll tell you that makes a lot of difference in the amount of inches you lose!! I am doing my light weight training again and I LOVE IT!!! I notice changes in my body in almost a daily basis!! Go for it!! All the ladies above are absolutely right!

Good luck.. Weight training is DEFINITELY worth it!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:38 PM   #7  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I waited until I felt comfortable enough at the gym. I watched for a couple of weeks - anthropologic observation really. While I was on the eliptical I would check them out: Who worked out on what, any kind of ettitque, what did people wear, did they talk or not, and peak hours. I feel more comfy if I know what goes on before I get there. I'm a Y girl too, so I checked out their orientation program and got someone to set me up on the weights and teach me how to use all the equipment.

Now, I love the weights.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 03:33 AM   #8  

Thanks for asking this Lakegirl.......I was doing weights as well as cardio, but for some reason since vacation (a month ago) I have not lifted an ounce, although I have been doing my cardio. Reading all these replies is giving me some motivation to get back out there and LIFT!
artist is offline   Reply With Quote