Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 08:49 AM   #1  
Janette

Default Going to family reunion today but I have a plan

Today is my DH's family reunion. Talk about stress But I have a plan. I'm taking a huge green salad of core foods, a huge fruit salad of core foods and if I can't find anything else to eat, I will be fine with that. But I am sure that someone will bring a meat and other veggies. As I said on another thread, I will skip the dessert table, not because it is not on Core and I'm restricted and deprived but because (1) I know it is not a healthy choice, (2) it is not worth the points to me, (3) I found out years ago that desserts don't taste as good as they look, and (4) I know from experience I will feel physically sick afterwards. I learned that on winning points, I just gradually conditioned my body to accept and crave sugar again. We run with a BAD crowd that cook out and eat out a lot and we go because we "don't want to appear antisocial" and because DH loves that Chineese food (hate it myself, all that sweet chicken and stuff, yuk) and because I'm lazy and like to get out of cooking But come to think of it we were invited last week and we declined because (1) I was doing so well on the plan and Chineese food is not Core friendly and (2) I didn't want to spend $25 to celebrate someone else's wedding anniversary! Besides it was on a weekend night and we have to get up at 4:00 in the morning and us old folks need our rest!

I hope everyone has a good day.
Janette

Last edited by fiftieslady; 08-29-2004 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:05 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

Smile

Good morning Janette,

Way to go by having a plan! We already had our family reunion and other social events and planning ahead helped so much! I tried to focus on mingling and visiting with others instead of the food itself, and that also helped a lot. So many people are health conscious now, so maybe there will be more choices that are Core than you expected! Your fruit salad will serve well as a dessert. Most of all, have a good time!
Old 08-29-2004, 10:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Janette, you have a great plan outlined for your reunion!! That is so encouraging! Please report back and let us know how you did and what you ate ok?
Old 08-29-2004, 10:19 AM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Good plan. Have fun.

However about Chinese,
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftieslady
...and because DH loves that Chineese food (hate it myself, all that sweet chicken and stuff, yuk) and because I'm lazy and like to get out of cooking But come to think of it we were invited last week and we declined because (1) I was doing so well on the plan and Chineese food is not Core friendly...
There is somethings that are 'sweet chicken' and 'noncore' at a Chinese restaurant. Steamed veggies and chicken (sauce on the side) with a bit of soy sauce is extremely core (and flex friendly) same with EggDrop Soup. Or just find a place like a Mongolian BBQ that stirfries your pick of veggies without oils. We have a place here called Panda House Stirfry that you pick the veggies you want, the meat you want (very thinnly sliced and all lean - pork, chicken and beef), you add any sauces or broths you want with garlic or ginger if you choose and they stirfry it in front of you without any oils or sauces. You can skip the noodles and/or rice but they also have brown rice you can order. Very CORE and very FLEX friendly too.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:33 AM   #5  
Running Babe

Kelly: Up here in the wintery north we have a place called 'Mongolian Village' that is the same concept. Me and my boyfriend usually go there at least once a month! They start with a vegatable soup and I usually skip the rice! It's excellent! My BF's former doctor even recommended it.

Janette: Having a plan for the reunion is excellent!! The tools for living can be so helpful!

Cheers!

Ali
Old 08-29-2004, 10:19 PM   #6  
Janette

I usually just get the salad and fruits and egg roll with hot mustard (5pts.) I eat a little of the refried rice. Haven't seen just brown rice on the food bar. Maybe I will try the menu next time.

Last edited by fiftieslady; 08-29-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:53 AM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

If you are doing a 'buffet' you may have to look or order off a menu (I know all the buffets here also have individual items you can order) for the brown rice.
Closed Thread