Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 06:09 AM   #1  

Default Exercise Poll

What kind of exercise do you do and how often?

I take kickboxing (use boxing gloves and heavy bags) at a karate studio twice a week and occasionally do my Elliptical when I get realy motivated. My classes are 1 hour each.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:35 AM   #2  
Janette

My main activity is walking. I try to get in at least 20 minutes 5 days a week. Weekends is gardening and yard work. I have the RS Sweating to the Oldies that I used to do every other day. I need to get back to those cause they really helped. I have yoga and pilates tapes but have not been able to get into those. It's not that I don't like to exercise it's just I have a hard time scheduling it in. I have just started back exercise after a year. I hope to get a regular routine soon.
Janette
180/170/150
Old 08-27-2004, 07:36 AM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Pilates tape 2 x per week
strength training 2 x per week
bellydance class 2 x per week (classes are 1 hour long)
yoga tape 2 x per week

Tapes are usually 30 minutes each in the morning

walking 25 minutes to work each day
walking 25 minutes back home each day
Old 08-27-2004, 12:50 PM   #4  
si, si signora

walk, run, elliptical, bike 5 to 6 days a week for 35-45 mins

weights and toning are going by the wayside and that is bad.

lala
Old 08-27-2004, 02:36 PM   #5  

I walk - 2 breaks/day & at noon, started doing some leg exercises before bed - I know I need more, but at least it is something - don't know what I'll do when winter sets in, will have to make time for the treadmill at home.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Exercise has not been one of my strong pts... I got to my goal weight without much exercise at all. Not that I am endorsing that, lol.. because it has caught up to me. When most people my height and weight are wearing 4/6 I am barely in an 8... so I need some serious toning. But I have taken a new perspective at exercise now that I am on core... I have been doing it 3 times a week and plan on increasing. I mean, the benefits are far outweighing anything else and also it means I will keep more weekly pts because I can use my AP's for extra food not on the core list.
But I have been doing Denise Austin... she comes on at 6 am on the lifetime channel for an hour (two 30 min workouts) I don't actually get up that early so I tape them and then workout out when my kids go down for a nap in the afternoon. I really am enjoying it because everyday is a new workout! So much variety! I get Yoga, pilates, kick boxing, aerobics, weights, etc... you name it and she covers it someway or another. So I haven't got bored once yet! Which was a problem in the past because I would do my Firm dvd's and dread each workout because I knew them by heart and knew the parts I hated the most, etc, the same with my other workout dvd's... but with this way of exercising I never know what she will do next and if it gets to stuff I don't like I know I probably won't have to do it again tomorrow so I push through it and get it done! LOL.. I'm loving it. OK, sorry to go on and on, lol. I can get caught up sometimes and just babble, lol.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:23 AM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

I have just gotten back into going to the gym. When I first started W/W with Points I did not exercise an I made goal, then I got into exercise and then medical reasons I quit for a while but I am back.

Been 3 weeks (missed only 4 days <3 days of rest in those 4>) and have been dong the treadmill for 35 (5 min cooldown) a day. Next week I am starting to add back weights. If I can't make the gym WATP takes and/or Pilates fits in.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:08 PM   #8  
Running Babe

I am a runner and run four times a week. I am trying to cross-train with an elliptical and have been slacking with my weight training (I moved and my gym was suippose to open a franchise near my house in August, it looks like it will be much later than that). I exercised to get to goal. I am also very muscular naturally (definitely not a bad thing), so I want to keep my lean and maybe gain a little more lean body mass. I also walk a bit too to relax.

Cheers!

Ali
Old 08-28-2004, 08:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

One hour water aerobics class twice a week, one hour land aerobics class twice a week, weight lifting twice a week for 45 minutes, 20 minute walk every day, and I try for 20 minutes of stretching every day, but sometimes I skip it.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:52 PM   #10  
Janette

Spryng, If you can do Denise Austin you are in better shape than you think! I find her too much. She is way to flexible for me to follow along with! Of course if you have kids taking naps you are way younger than this old grandmother!
Old 08-29-2004, 12:25 AM   #11  

Janette, you crack me up! Yes I am young, lol.. 24 yo, but Denise is a hard workout for me too! The other day I thought my lungs would burst!! LOL! I think I sweated a river! But I like that her aerobics isn't too hard to follow along with. I hate jumping around my living room or feel like I have to learn a whole dance routine to get my heart rate up, with her it's alot of "pretend" jump rope and kick boxing moves... things I KNOW how to do, lol. So I don't feel completely akward following along. I dont have rythem of any sort. And yes she is flexible and I want her abs!!! LOL.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:55 AM   #12  
Cowboy Up Chick

Spryng, Have you tried any of the WalkAwayThePounds Videos? That is what I started with and the key is you can make them as intense as you want or need. Pretty much they are between low and moderate intensity but I added wrist weights and put 100% effort into them when I was doing them (before joining the gym). Great workout and the best thing is she has 1-mile, 2-mile, 3-mile and 4-mile videos that are about 15 minute miles so if you need a short workout one day you can do the 1 mile and days you have an hour you can do the 4 mile, etc.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:00 AM   #13  

Kelly, no I haven't tried WATP but I have alot of friends who uses them and just loves them! Is it alot of walking in place or something? Let me know.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:05 AM   #14  
Cowboy Up Chick

Spryng,

It is basically a 'marching in place' but you need about 4sq ft of room. You do a forward and backward march, side steps, kicks and kickbacks. If you look at www.walkawaythepounds.com or www.lesliesansone.com you can get more information and I think Leslie's site has small movies on the tapes so you get an idea. She has ones that you do with weighted balls (about 2 pounds), abs belt and stretchy band (but you don't need those things to do the tapes just move your arms to the same movements).

Also you can get the tapes at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, and most Video stores.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:50 PM   #15  
si, si signora

God, I saw someone last night I hadn't seen in a while and she looked fabulous. It made me realize that I have got to kick up the weights and tone up my arms.

My next two months are killer for work reasons, I am grateful just to get to the gym on a daily basis to run/walk/elliptical, but I have got to start hitting those free weights or do some yoga to firm up these arms.

Has anyone heard of slim in 6? I have a friend who did them and really liked the series. My biggest problem is that our tv is in our guest bedroom and we don't have alot of room in there for moving around. TV is in there for guests and a few dvd watching episodes, its never getting moved to any other room.

Thank goodness the gym is large and has tv or I would never know what is going on in the "real world".

lala
Closed Thread