Old 08-24-2004, 03:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Default The final word on Fruit

I have been wondering about fruit lately, as I feel like I have been eating alot of it. When I was doing the Carb addicts diet, years ago, they said that fruit contained fructose and that it turned into sugar in your body and sugar was bad,.. Im not doing low carb rightnow,.. i really screwed with myblood sugar,.. but im am eating alot of fruit and I am worried that I am hindering my weight loss? So whats the final word? Is it ok or not?
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:54 PM   #2  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I won't say this is the final word...but on the dr.phil plan he only has 2 servings of fruit per day and encourages raw veggies for snacks rather than fruit. I would say that if it came down to eating a piece of fruit over a bag of chips for a snack then go with the fruit!!! Also it depends on the type of fruit...for example melons are practically all water and are in low calories. I think that if you are eating 2-3 servings of fresh fruit a day then you are okay. It is preferable to junk food.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:04 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I used to be a fruitaholic, now i'm more of a veggieoholic. I would agree, fruit is preferable to any junk food, but I would also make sure you are getting in your veggies as well as protein and dairy.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

yeah i get 2-3 servings a day,.. its either peaches, apples or bananas,. I dont really like veggies at all, so i havent figured out what im going to do for that yet.
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:22 PM   #5  
Just Me

It used to be hard for me to eat veggies, but I think something happened in my brain where I started liking them. I always loved tomatoes, so I make sure I eat plenty of those. I go to costco and they have these grape tomatoes that are very yummy, sweet and delicious. I also tried different ways of cooking vegetables to see how I like them best. Steamed fresh Broccoli with a little bit of reduced fat cheddar cheese on it is also quite delicious. Carrots, especially baby carrots, are kind of sweet and good for you. My new favorite is grilled Yams. I cut up the Yams into thin (1/2 inch or so) slices and grill them on my george foreman grill.

Basically, what I would do is find vegetables that you like or quasi like and try to work around those. You can always try to incorporate other vegetables into the mix as well. Vegetables are full of nutrients and fiber, they are filling and are very low in calories. One way to surely fill up when you are trying to lose weight is to eat plenty of vegetables so you aren't as hungry.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I eat a lot of fruit, upwards of 4-5 servings a day. I probably have about that in salads and veges as well and it's far from hampered my weightloss. Thats things ranging from apples and pears to rockmelon, watermelon, berries etc. I can only speak from personal experience, but i have had no ill effects from consuming larger amounts of fruit.

Livi
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Because of cholesterol problems, my doctor said to combine low carb with my WW plan. After reading a bit, I quit eating certain fruits and vegetables as well as white stuff. I no longer eat bananas, carrots (well, sometimes), dried fruits, beets, and some of the other higher sugar fruits and veggies. Once I started doing that, I actually started losing more weight, although I was eating the same number of points and doing the same level of activity.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Sarah........miss encyclopedia.......*tap tap tap*
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:06 PM   #9  
Live for the Moment!

My personal opinion - EAT FRUIT! Its good for you.. great to control cravings... AND, who ever gained weight from eating an apple? Just my two cents...
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:19 PM   #10  

Six years ago when I lost 50 pounds the only thing that I looked at was fat grams...Maybe some of you remember that diet. Well, I ate as many calories as I wanted. I don't ever remember even counting calories to be honest. I ate alot of fruits then and I lost consistently. If you are looking at it from a carb aspect then you are not going to be eating much fruit then. I guess it is how you want to look at it. I am a huge advocate of fruit. In my household it takes the place of cookies and other such sweets. I'd much rather my kids eat five apples a day as opposed to a bag of cookies. Never had a doctor tell me to cut out my fruit intake.

I just wanted to add. Maybe some of you have had a doctor to tell you otherwise. I am just stating only from my viewpoint. I just don't ever want to look at fruit as something evil. Ten years ago I don't even think I could have fathomed this conversation. It is so strange how year after year so many things change. Who knows what is right or wrong anymore. Give it a year and it will change.

Last edited by Tammy32; 08-24-2004 at 11:23 PM.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:50 PM   #11  

Default sugar

all carbohydrates (except fibre) eventually get turned into the most simple sugar that the body uses for fuel: glucose. some sugars are simple, some are complex and are a compund of two sugars or more. the more complex the carbohydrate the slower it is digested and converted to glucose. in the end they are all the same, fructose, lactose, sucrose etc. some people are intollerant of certain sugars because they lack the enzymes to digest them and they get diarrhea, bloating, gas. if you feel yucky after eating fruit don't eat it on an empty stomach (i get cramps if i eat apples on an empty stomach) and ask your doctor for a blood test to see if you are intollerant to certain sugars or sorbitol.
fruits are filling (water and fibre) and full of important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. unless you are intollerant i would recommend (i'm not a doctor or dietician however) that fruit be included.
geez i need to eat more fruit .
gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 12:30 AM   #12  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

What Gen said.

Nelie, your photo is BEAUTIFUL!! I'm so glad you posted it! You are completely lovely!!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 12:43 AM   #13  
Just Me

Thank you Sarah

I think Gatsby summarized it correctly. Of course like all things, some fruits are better than others, I know apples are probably one of the best fruits to eat. Berries are also high on the list. The thing is to try to establish a healthy balanced diet that will work for you.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:40 AM   #14  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Yes Nelie ~ nice picture!! It is nice to have a face to go with the name.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:01 PM   #15  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Fresh fruit is best. Canned in it's own juice is good. Canned in heavy syrup is bad.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote