Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-23-2004, 06:00 PM   #1  

Default Need some encouragement please---

I posted to the exercise board but unfortunately got no response Maybe someone here will be able to give me some support and advice as I feel totally frustrated.

I lost 25 lbs cutting refined sugars, bad carbs, etc. It worked like a charm but everything just stopped 6 months ago. I joined a gym in an attempt to stir things up (and for a generally healthier lifestyle). 6 weeks later and I still see absolutely no difference on the scale (or measurements - and I did measure!) I am so frustrated. I continue to eat in the same healthy way and have added 45 min cardio and 20 minute weight training 4-5 days a week. Shouldn't I see at least some results by now? I figure that with all things being equal, the several hundred calories that I burn off during every gym session should have added up to something. Please help keep me on track. I am not sure what I am doing wrong
Thanks in advance.
reginag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:18 PM   #2  
Tons of fun!!!!

hello, i just wanted to say hello and welcome you here to 3fc. Do you also measure yourself or just weigh your self on a scale, sometimes you lose more inches than actual pounds, but by going to the gym your body is getting toner, also i have heard a lot of people talking about hitting a plateau or many during weight loss, some ideas i have heard and tried are to zig zag your calories so your metabolism will keep at a good pace....for example i try to stay around 1200-1400 cals. a day but you can zig zag by doing 1200 one day and then 1400 the next day and so on, also , i got an idea from another person on this board is to give yourself one or two free meals a week...nothing to crazy... and by eating a little more calories you actaully will speed up your metabolism, and it does work but if you are eating to low amount of calories it will backfire and your metabolism will slow down. if thats not your problem maybe consult a physician and have your thyroid checked etc....... dont give up! good luck on your goals...
hippiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:07 PM   #3  

Thanks Hippie, to answer your question - yes I did measure :-( I will have to try to play around with the calorie counting as I never did that before. I just cut out or simply limited the "unhealthy foods" and the weight just dropped off till this plateau. I also went to my doctor about 4 months ago and everything is fine. Actually, he is the one who recommended that I should start to exercise anyway and that it should shock my system into moving down further. thanks again for your support and congrats on your great success in losing your weight.

Jack, What can I say. What an accomplishment to lose 180 lbs! I can't believe that someone can actually do that - wow. You must be an entirely different person with a new life now. Congratulation on your success. I know that I should not get discouraged this early on. I was just hoping to see at least a tiny little change to keep me going. 7-8 hrs a week is a long time to spend in the gym for someone who has NEVER exercised at all. I will definately keep going as I do feel stronger and feel great overall. Even if for no other reason, the health benefits are worth all the effort. Thanks again.
Regina
Old 08-23-2004, 09:31 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Regina -- You make a very good point about your calories being linked with your plateau... Maybe it's time to up the ante a bit and get more vigilant with your calories, protein and carb and fat ratio ... Sometimes something as small as omitting the cream in your coffee will make the difference... I log my food at fitday.com... It's free you just have to register....HTH...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:04 PM   #5  

Thanks Ilene. I will check out fitday. Isn't it odd how things change.... One day one thing works and then suddenly it no longer works. What I find strange is that if I now eat the same calories that I ate while losing (or for the past 6 months not gaining) and have now added exercise, why don't the extra calories burned add up to loss in weight/inches?? That puzzles me but then again I think I need to give it more time and reevaluate. The calorie counting certainly can't hurt, right?