Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 04:05 PM   #1  
Super Student Nurse

Default Core Program

Since it was introduced today, lets hear all about it!!!
Old 08-22-2004, 05:57 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

It is just a list of dos and don'ts really. Really restrictive. Much like the old selections w/optional calories program and very low carb. You can only eat a starch at one meal a day...no counting except for the APs and FPs (both FlexPlan and Core have FPs).
Old 08-22-2004, 07:22 PM   #3  

That is inaccurate information.

The Core Program is a real innovation - not a low carb diet. It's similar to South Beach, with a list of foods to eat. Other foods may be added with flex points.

It's a no count food list with a rich variety of lean programs, all fruits, veggies, whole grains, starchy veggies, etc.

I just learned about it today at my meeting and am very excited about it. You also learn about a hunger/fullness scale to help monitor your eating. This is not a pig out like Thanksgiving program. You eat to satiety, but no portion control. You are an adult and responsible for curbing your own portions once you realize you are no longer hungry.

I love this plan and highly recommend it. Over 10,000 volunteers were recruited to test this plan over the past 18 months and it was very successful.

I am very pleased with it.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:48 AM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

To me not being able to make choices is restrictive. Being able to have starches in only one meal is restrictive and low carb. SBD is low carb! Not being able to have bread unless you use your WeeklyPointsAllowance (aka FlexPoints) is restrictive. Only being able for the most part using FlexPoints for dining out is restrictive.

I do understand that some people need this structure

I'm sorry but in my opinion if you have a list of you can eat this and this in unlimited quantities (you don't learn portion control) and this is a limited item for only 1 meal and having to do this or that is a DIET not a new way of life.

Really it is a lot like the old selection plans. Restrictive.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:51 AM   #5  
Running Babe

Kelly: are they still running flexpoints concurrently? I ahet plans with dos and don'ts.... The reasons I have been so successful with WW is the fact I can eat whatever I want.

Cheers!

Ali
Old 08-23-2004, 08:53 AM   #6  
Cowboy Up Chick

Yes you get an option of following FlexPlan or CorePlan. That is the beauty of W/W now you have an option....there are many who have been on selections in the past (and many lowcarb switchers) who said this plan is a DIET and not LIFESTYLE change with the Core. Many say they may use it to get over a plateau since you can switch back and forth at any time you want but they suggest follow each for at least a whole week.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:40 AM   #7  
Running Babe

Kelly: thanks. I know some people struggle with a lack of structure, but I do worse with structure. I tried SBD for a while to help with my gain and couldn't maintain its discipline. At least they are offering both. I'll be curious to see it when I go to my meeting tomorrow. Plus I need a plan I can maintain for life. I messed up maintanence before, but I am a few years older, a little more mature and am respecting my body better.

Cheers!

Ali

Last edited by Sweater Girl; 08-23-2004 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:59 AM   #8  

Once again - starches are not allowed at only one meal. Please have your facts straight!
Old 08-23-2004, 12:12 PM   #9  
Cowboy Up Chick

Unless you use FPs you can only have pasta or potatoes (ie., starches) at one meal...this is a partial except (much of it is missing but the details ont he starches are there...limited to 1 a day....unless you choose to use your FPs).

"READY-TO-EAT COLD CEREAL:

....Details

Cold cereals are limited to one meal a day ..."

GRAINS AND STARCHES:

...Details

Whole-wheat pasta or brown rice or potatoes is limited to one meal a day."

QuilterInVA, So yes I had my facts maybe you did not read that! maybe since you have not been to your meeting (next Saturday) you did not know that.

Last edited by Kelly_S; 08-23-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:10 PM   #10  
si, si signora

I'm thinking that this is a bit southbeachish, but since I modified south beach and made the scale move downwards, it may not be such a bad thing in my case.

We eat pretty mostly unprocessed foods. We rely on mostly fresh veggies, cheeses, fruits and meats. We do eat more bread than we should, so this be hard. I like the fact that it emphasizes whole foods instead of all the pre-processed stuff that is out there.

I think the recipes are pretty decent. I may be making moussaka tonight.

I wonder how some of WW very own exceedingly processed food products will fit in with the "core"

lala
Old 08-23-2004, 09:10 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_S
Unless you use FPs you can only have pasta or potatoes (ie., starches) at one meal...this is a partial except (much of it is missing but the details ont he starches are there...limited to 1 a day....unless you choose to use your FPs).

"READY-TO-EAT COLD CEREAL:

....Details

Cold cereals are limited to one meal a day ..."

GRAINS AND STARCHES:

...Details

Whole-wheat pasta or brown rice or potatoes is limited to one meal a day."

QuilterInVA, So yes I had my facts maybe you did not read that! maybe since you have not been to your meeting (next Saturday) you did not know that.

This is the way I'm reading it:

One portion of cold cereal a day PLUS one portion of starch/grains a day? So technically, you still get two portions of carbs everyday if you wish. Right?
Old 08-23-2004, 10:04 PM   #12  
Cowboy Up Chick

I read it the same way but it still doesn't include bread unless you use your FlexPoints....

I am not saying it is a bad program just for my lifestyle it wouldn't work at all and it is a bit restrictive. I am not looking for a diet...I am looking for something I can do every day for the rest of my life. I would not be able to follow this Core Program for life...I do follow many of the aspects on trying to stay away from the convenience foods and lean meats and lots of veggies and some fruit.

One of the other aspects I think needs to be brought into the Core program is portion control somewhat. While many of us realize we need to watch portion sizes many will just hear 'unlimited' or 'eat until you are full' and not realize being full does not mean stuffed. I see many people (true newbies) thinking that eat until you are full as a license to eat all they want and failing and quiting. While I would do everything I could to help them many will just give up.

Please do not think I am putting down the new program as it can work with discipline and responsibility.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:05 AM   #13  

I'm thinking that the exact opposite may be true - its the end of the day - I'm full - and I only have had 15 points worth of food. The risk of undereating is as much a possibility as overdoing it. That's why I think the "core" to the core porgram is really understanding the comfort scale. I am going to track points for a week a two to make sure that I am 'in check" on the portion sizes and not undereating. Other than that I am fine with the notion of concentrating on core foods and adding others out of my AP's or points allowance.

I often work the points system to a fault and probably eat more than I need to just because I feel that I should eat every point I am "entitled to". For me - the key to a way of eating for life is understanding what my body needs and enjoying the food that I choose to eat. I don't want to do math every time I eat and I am sick to death of washing measuring cups and spoons. LOL - Sounds like the core program is going to perfect for me doesn't it?

Good luck to everyone - if we stay OP we'll all be fine regardless of which option we choose.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:46 AM   #14  
Shelle

I see this as a way for me to really retrain myself to be responsible for what I eat and really pay attention to my fullness. I like WW, and the points makes so much sense, but after about 8 weeks I am so sick of hearing about points I get really frustrated. While the Core has more structure, I don't think it will be as frustrating and aggravating as me concentrating on every point. I think I need to be able to focus on the quality of the food, not the points. Instead of looking for "O point this" or "2 point that" I want to focus on high quality, real food for a change. I am going to try the core program for these reasons. ... shelle
Old 08-24-2004, 01:10 AM   #15  

Default not low carb

I don't see the core plan as low carb. Fruit, unlimited starchy vegetables, hot cereal (not mentioned as only one serving allowed), cold cereal, grains, pasta, potates, vegetables. Plus 35 flex points per week. I see that as two meals with whole grains. The South Beach diet allows very tiny amounts of whole grains in phase 2. Maybe one piece of fruit and 1/2 cup of brown rice.
It looks to me like the only grain I will be avoiding is bread.
I am a lifetime member (1989) and have had a hard time keeping my weight down with points. I think it is just too much freedom for me, there are never enough points to get me through the day.
I also tried South Beach in the past and it was way to restrictive for me.
I am hopefull that the core plan will give me the variety with structure I need to find success, yet a little bit of freedom in the 35 points per week for a few indulgences. (wine, chocolate and a bagel now and then)
I am hopefull.
Closed Thread