South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:42 AM   #1  

Default How much fruit do you eat?

I am starting to think i might be eating too many servings of fruit a day and it is kinda stalling my weight loss. or may be. my mom always just buys tons of fruit and after dinner she serves up a huge platter. plus i have a couple of servings for breakfast. i'm not sure what a serving but lately i've been having (one day): 2 mini clementines, one peach, one apple, slices of mango, slices of melon. is this really too much? what do you all eat in a day?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:49 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, Pika! You've been missed!

Yes, that does sound like too much. I think the limit was 3 servings a day? I could definitely be wrong, though.

I eat one serving a day, but that's just what works for me.

Watch out for the higher sugar fruits like melon and mango...try to restrict those to only a couple a week--they are listed as "limited" in the GFGCG. The others are listed as "good", so you're fine with having them each day. I'd try to bring it down to 3 a day or less and see if that helps. If not, you might need to reduce it more.

It's tough to resist at this point, isn't it? There are so many delicious fruits out there at this time of year...I have a juicy plum in my fridge begging to be eaten, and at least four or five other fruits in the fruit bowl, and I didn't even buy any this week! I just can't get through them fast enough, and I buy way too many because they all look so good!
Old 08-20-2004, 10:54 AM   #3  

Yup, I just checked:
FRUIT: 1 fruit serving allowed daily to begin, gradually increased to 3 total servings for the day.

I was eating 1-2 servings of fruit every day during the time I plateau'd. I would fix my son a bowl of mixed fruit and eat the other half. I had to cut back in order to start losing weight again.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:06 AM   #4  
Conquering with SBD

I have limited myself to 1 serving every other day. It is all that this old bod can tolerate on Phase 2 and still lose weight.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I eat 1-3 servings a day of fruit. One either with breakast or mid morning snack, one with lunch and one while I'm waiting for the bus in the evening. I've been fiddling with it, like changing the bus waiting snack to carrot sticks, skipping the early one.

Odd question: but is it healthy not to eat fruit daily? I mean we did with out it in phase 1, but Dr. A did say not to stay on phase 1 for very long. Or is it a matter of taking our vitamins and eating lots of vegetables make up for the lack of fruit?

Sarah

Last edited by sarahyu; 08-20-2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:44 AM   #6  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Hard to believe that we have to limit fruit. I know it is a sugar thing. But still you would think with the fiber it would be ok to eat more of it. I could eat 5 or 6 servings a day. Fruit is my fav.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:55 PM   #7  

Hi Laurie!
I had posted to one of your posts before but i don't think you saw it cause it was an old one. just saying how impressed i am with your progess! i've really stalled. i've let cheats get in too often. i need to REALLY get on track. and i think cutting the fruits is the first step. but i definitely need to get more in control. i tell you the month long vacation makes it super hard for me to get back on track the right way. i've just let one too many cheats sneak in (ex. had a bun today! eek!).

my mom makes it so hard though cause she buys so many fruits and i find it hard to get out of the mind set that FRUIT can actually stall weight loss. i mean its fruit, its supposed to healthy! LOL.

i'll keep you updated! thanks for the support!
Old 08-20-2004, 01:30 PM   #8  
I can do this!

I know, who would think that fruit could be a problem...but the truth is that everything has to be in moderation not to cause weight loss...and fruit is part of that. Five servings a day of just fruit is a lot.

Glad you're back, Pika, and for the lovely compliment! I'm currently stalled...I've been losing too fast (who would think that would be a complaint? ), and in trying to slow it down, I stalled it. Oy!

Sounds like you are on the right track of getting things back together. That fruit can really make you crave, even though it is good. Perhaps it will help if you avoid fruit when you are alone, and only eat it when your mom is bound to be offering it. Then it is planned and not a binge. And make SURE you eat protein with it or that sugar will make you bounce up and down and crave! So have some vanilla SF yogurt with it, or some cheese (the Laughing Cow Light is excellent with a pear...yummmm!), or peanut butter (awesome on apples) or some nuts.

LC, we should be fine with the veggies and a good multivitamin, though taking your vitamins separately, if you can afford it (i.e. taking a pill that is just vitamin C, another that is just vitamin E, etc.) is much more effective than a multivitamin. If you don't eat a lot of veggies with vitamin C (bell peppers come to mind), you might want to up your vitamin intake for C, for instance.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:16 PM   #9  

I have not had any. I am afraid to eat them. The sweetness might be too good.
I do like peaches and plums. I may start eating one a day in a few weeks. I now you do need fruit in your diet to be healthy.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:23 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I haven't reintroduced fruit nor do I really have a plan to. I was thinking that maybe I'd eat berries once in a while or maybe an apple as part of a salad, but I rather just not eat fruit right now.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:42 PM   #11  
I can do this!

Nelie, do what works for you, but a lot of people think they can't handle eating something, then find that they can. Try it first to see how you do...and make sure you eat it with protein.
Closed Thread