Old 08-19-2004, 12:05 AM   #1  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Default Be Encouraged!

This came from a site I use for calorie counting. Thought you all might get something out of it.
http://www.freeweightlosscenter.com

By Greg Landry

On the road to weight loss, fitness, and health, you can easily become discouraged. In fact, discouragement is what leads many people to give up when they may have been near a point of significant progress and encouragement in their program.

I've put together my "top 10" points of encouragement to help keep your spirits high on your road to weight loss, fitness, and health..

1. It does get better - and often very quickly! Many people that are significantly overweight or that have been sedentary for a long time, find any activity, even walking a few hundred feet, to be very difficult and uncomfortable. Be encouraged, many physiological changes happen very quickly once you start moving. Walking, for example, starts getting easier and more comfortable within a couple of weeks. Keep moving - every day will be a little better! Be encouraged!

2. I love this lady's story. It just makes you want to cheer for her while sitting at your computer. Margie from Madison, Wisconsin weighed 296 pounds when she started walking in her neighborhood. She says she started by walking about half a block twice a day and that it was incredibly difficult at first. After the second day she had decided to quit but a neighbor encouraged her to continue. Every day she walked the same route but added a little distance each week. She says there were many days when she wanted to quit, but she wanted very badly to lose weight and be healthy. After several months, the people in her neighborhood started noticing her consistency and her progress and started giving her compliments and words of encouragement. She said that after a few months of walking, it went from painful to enjoyable. About ten months into her walking program, she began her morning walk as usual, but she noticed people out in their yards. As she passed each yard they were clapping and cheering for her, "Go Margie", "We're proud of you Margie", "Congratulations Margie!" She said tears of happiness flowed through her entire walk that morning as over a hundred people cheered her on all along her route! Be encouraged!

3. The visible signs of progress in a weight loss program are often slow to come. Healthy weight loss takes time and that can be discouraging. Be encouraged to know that for each day that you exercise and eat healthy foods in moderate quantities, you have made progress. It might not be measurable that day, but you have made progress and it will be measurable over a period of weeks and months. Be encouraged!

4. Katherine was 43 years-old and had been sedentary for 20 years. The scale had not changed in those 20 years - she still weighed 136 pounds, but she knew she had lost muscle and gained fat. Her waist was bigger and she couldn't fit into the same size clothes that she did 20 years earlier. What bothered her most was that she was always tired and never had energy. She decided to start walking and weight training but quit after a week. She said, "it's too uncomfortable, I can't keep doing this." I encouraged her to continue and told her that it would get better. She "quit" three times during the next two weeks. We talked frequently. Six weeks later she started to notice some muscle tone and she noticed that her endurance and energy level had increased dramatically. She said, "I'm very encouraged!" Eight months later, she had gained two pounds on the scale but lost three inches in her waist - and she walked a marathon! Yeeeeeeesss! Be encouraged!

5. The whole idea behind physical training is that you push your body to do a little more than it's comfortable with and it responds by making physical and physiological changes. These changes make you capable of doing a little more with less discomfort. Be encouraged!

6. Gerald in New Orleans, Louisiana lost 85 pounds after he started walking and weight training. Once he had lost the weight, he decided to do something that would allow him to fully appreciate his weight loss. For an entire day, he carried around a sack that contained 85 pounds of metal weights. Getting around during that day was a struggle and very tiring. At the end of the day he was exhausted! He said: "Life without the weight is JUST great!" Be encouraged!

7. Keep records of your progress. Every day write down the positive changes you've noticed and also keep a record of the exercise you do every day. Write down what you did, how long you did it, and any thoughts about your exercise that day. Keep a running total of your minutes. You can look back at what you've done with a great sense of accomplishment and you'll be motivated to do more. Be encouraged!

8. Daily exercise will change your life! I believe God designed humans to be active on a daily basis. Why? because when you are, lots of good things happen.. - you are healthier - you feel better and have more energy - you are less likely to develop cancer, heart disease, stroke, etc. - you sleep better - you have a better outlook on life - your relationships with people are enhanced - your skin looks healthier - you are sick less often - your immune system is stronger - you lose fat - you gain toned, lean muscle - you look healthier. Be encouraged!

9. Betty Jo in Tuscaloosa, Alabama wrote to me.. "Greg, After 24 years of being married to a grouchy, pessimistic man who didn't enjoy life, I saw all that change over a period of about a year. Harold was the classic 70 pound overweight couch potato when he was scared into exercising and healthier eating habits by the death of his 46 year-old friend." Harold's doctor recommended that he start walking every morning and after a couple of weeks Harold told Betty Jo that he wanted to start eating better. Harold really took-off with this "health thing" and lost 72 pounds and become a new man - inside and out. In Betty Jo's words, "I have a new husband. He walks for an hour every morning and he is a joy to be around. His enthusiasm for life makes our marriage fun." Be encouraged!

10. Progress and improvement generate encouragement. YOU can progress and improve and be encouraged to do more. Tomorrow morning, put on your walking shoes and take a walk, even if it's just a few minutes. The next day, do it again - progress and improve. Be encouraged!

Author and exercise physiologist, Greg Landry, offers his free, "Fast, Healthy Weight Loss" newsletter at his site: http://www.Landry.com
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:12 AM   #2  
Live for the Moment!

Howie,

What a great read! And yes I'm encouraged! Really, thanks so much for sharing this.. Its reading things like this that keep me going and I've been struggling a little bit lately with not getting discouraged. This really helped me tonight and I'm sure it will help me over the days to come as well. Again, thank you!

G'nite,
Celina
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:18 AM   #3  
Born Loser

It is a great article. I'm glad it helped.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:48 AM   #4  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Thanks Howie ~ I needed this tonight!!
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:08 AM   #5  
missaprylj

Talking

Quote:
Margie from Madison, Wisconsin
On Wisconsin, On Wisconsin, grand old Badger State!!

But seriously, thank you Howie. That was great, and I too am encouraged because of it. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2004, 02:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Thank you Howie!!!
Tonight has been my worse night with my diet. I feel I'm not doing anything right with my weight loss plan. Your post give me hope when I thought all was lost.
Thank you
Mez
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Thank you for sharing that, Howie. I really could use that encouragement right now.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:50 PM   #8  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Fantastic article, Hammer. I need to get out and start walking. Shoot, we even have a walking track at the school right behind our house, surrounded by a beautiful field and trees. Thanks for posting this, babe!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I finally had the opportunity to read this. It is totally wonderful! Words of wisdom there. Thank you so much for sharing that HOWIE!!!

BTW... October is right around the corner.. Pittsburgh is still on RIGHT????????

I need to make my reservations like NOW!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:19 PM   #10  

Thanks Howie for sharing that. It is people like you and articles like that that give us renewed hope and encouragement when we need it the most. Some days it is so easy to become discouraged and disgusted with ourselves and we need that kind of little pick-me-up.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:25 PM   #11  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

THAT WAS GREAT, HOWIE!!! Thank you for sharing it with us! I love its hopeful, ENCOURAGING tone!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:42 PM   #12  
Born Loser

Glad it helped. Yes Gretchen October is still on for me. I can't wait to meet everyone. We have had are reservations made for a few weeks now.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Awesome read....#2 brought tears to my eyes.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote