Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 11:14 AM   #1  

Default I don't like healthy food in the morning

I really made an effort today to eat something healthy for breakfast. I made myself a packet of cinnamon oatmeal, and wound up throwing it away. I had 2 hostess cupcakes instead. I'm still counting calories, so this is "allowed", but its starting to scare me that I want healthy food less and less. Or at least in the mornings, its like my body is crying out for sugar and caffeine. Does anyone know of anything healthy that I might actually like? I have a serious aversion to yogurt and ALWAYS binge on cereal (its a trigger for me, even the healthy fiber kind). ANy suggestions would be appreciated!! Sorry if I sound like a baby...lol
Old 08-15-2004, 04:29 PM   #2  

What about more a savory option - quiche perhaps? Someone suggested rolls of turkey and cheese once, and I thought it was a great idea, something I'd never even thought of. Good luck to you.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218.8/198/135

Height: 5'4

What about cereal bars? Or fruit smoothies, fruit
Old 08-15-2004, 05:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I have fruit in the morning myself. It satisfies that "sweet" craving i have. I also have coffee with it. Im currently munching my way through a couple of red apples and some strawberries. (I do have yoghurt as well, but since you said you dont like that, i wont mention it :P)

Just experiment with different things for breakfast! There really isnt any written law that says you have to have cereal or eggs or toast for breakky...you could just as easily have something you may eat for lunch or even dinner. Find something healthy you DO like eating and eat that for your breakfast.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:19 PM   #5  
it's always something

How about whole wheat toast, spread with light or nonfat cream cheese, and sugar free jam! It's very sweet tasting, but not loaded with sugar. Apple bran muffins are also good!

Do what you need to do to remind yourself of your goals. Put one of those magnetic write on/wipe off boards on your refrigerator and leave notes for yourself An apple bran muffin may not be as good as a hostess cupcake, but if it helps you lose weight, then it's good enough. I've used that reasoning for myself, lol, and it really helped. Also, get rid of any trigger foods. Why were cupcakes in the house to begin with? Throw them away, give them away, and don't buy them. If you give in to temptations at the supermarket, see if you can find a shopping buddy that will give you "that look" if you put something evil in your cart If you feel that you must have these things, try making them homemade, using light recipes. Cooking Light offer incredible recipes for sweets that are lower in sugar and fats than Hostess, and taste better. Store them in the freezer, so you won't grab one on impulse.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:05 PM   #6  
solitas...lacuna

For me, when I need something non-healthy for breakfast I eat something healthy that is SEIOUSLY non-breakfast foods. Like FF tuna salad and crackers...extra dill pickles of course. Or extra-garlicky whole-wheat pasta. It doesn't matter what it is as long as it has a strong flavor. Sometimes I need that extra BAM to wake me up in the morning. Since breakfast foods are generally mild, they don't often provide enough flavor stimulation.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:12 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Here is a protein pancake you can try:

1/3c cottage cheese
1/3c oatmeal (NOT the pouch stuff with sugar in it)
1/3c egg whites or 3 egg whites
cinnamon or vanilla, or both to taste
Splenda to taste, more if you like it sweet...

Use a hand held mixer or blender, blend till smooth... Put in a pan sprayed with Pam. Make 2 or 3 small pancakes or one large one... Eat spread with SF syrup or SF jam...

YUMMY!! and filling... AND last but not least very HEALTHY!!
Old 08-18-2004, 09:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I have a poached egg with hollandaise, on toast. Sometimes I just use honey mustard. it's super sweet and feels like a "treat" to me.

Lanaii, I LOVE that pancake! I make it when I have time in the morning
Old 08-18-2004, 09:53 PM   #9  
Sparkly Like A Holiday

hrm.. if it's only breakfast, I say, if it fits in your calorie plan... eat it. Eat healthier at lunch or something to make up for it. No sense being completely miserable if you can't find anything else that is "healthy" that you like. Work around it then and maybe reevaluate a healthy breakfast again in the future.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:12 PM   #10  

I make a crab omellette thing every morning, and have gotten it down to a science- it's really quick and very good, and it has a different taste to it. I don't like most breakfast foods, so I was glad to have found this. I make it in the microwave because I'm lazy, but you can make it on a stove, too.

In a bowl (use cooking spray in it for easy cleanup) put in 2/3 cup egg whites and 1/2 cup of flaked imitation crab meat. Pour some garlic and pepper on top, then cover with a slice of low-fat swiss cheese. Microwave for 2 and a half minutes, then eat up. Good stuff.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:15 PM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

How about a ww waffle w/light jam YUM! Yogurt w/ honey crunch wheat germ. An apple w/a smear of pnut butter on it.
Closed Thread