Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-11-2004, 08:51 PM   #1  

Default Self esteem and TV

Lately I have been watching more TV. I feel like it is making my body image ALOT worse. I start feeling like everyone has an awesome, gorgeous body even though I know this is not the truth. I was watching VH1's top 10 rock hard bodies, and they were saying how great so and so looked after toning up and getting lean. This girl had an awesome body beforehand. I dont know exactly what Im getting at, but I just feel really bad that our society places so much emphasis on people being skinny. I even feel like people are nicer to me when I'm thin (which could very well be in my head, or a result of me being nicer when I'm thin). Sorry for the rant
UnCafeCvooPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175/?/130

Height: 5'2

Default I understand

hey, I am 14 and I know exactly what you are talking about. Size zero people are all over the tv and in all the magazines that I read. I try to tell myself that it would impossible for me to look like them because I am 5'2 and built with a more cuvy body. Yet I sit there staring at the picture wishing it could be me. They just always seem to happy and that is the thing that I really want. Is to be happy with myself and let my personality shine throw. Right now I am very shy and try to stay away from new ppl because I am afraid of what they will say about me. The point is that even though I havent realized it yet, that the images on tv arnt real. You have to think about all of them having personal trainers and people who prepare there meals. Normal people dont have those things. So I hope that I helped a little bit in my rambling.lol! But I just wanted you to know that you arnt the only one that thinks that.

Haley
hcred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:43 AM   #3  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

The people on tv aren't happy because they are thin. they are probably happy because they are making millions of dollars every year... lol, but maybe not. they have the same problems have everyone else (except for money, lol)... look at halle berry. she is probably the most beautiful woman in the world, with a great body. did that stop her husband from cheating on her? nope.

i agree though, with what you're saying. I watch tv and read US Weekly and can get envious of some of the bodies that i see. especially people who have gotten progressively smaller as years have gone by... courteney cox, jennifer aniston, brittany murphy, etc. these kinds of things are factors that i can't control, so i'm just working on me and trying to get to a healthy weight for me, which isn't a size zero.
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:23 PM   #4  

I have to keep reminding myself that these are unrealistic images, but the people on reality TV have perfect bodies too. I mean dating shows, the Real World, etc. It makes me feel horrible that so many people seem to look this way, and its such a struggle for me. Even going to the beach all I see is a bunch of beautiful, toned, cellulite free booties prancing around on stilt legs! I do have something positive to say, though. I made it through one week binge-free and staying within my calories. I know its only one week but "baby steps" right??
Old 08-12-2004, 12:32 PM   #5  

First things is GREAT JOB! Believe me one week is wonderful! Today I am trying to stay within my limits and get throw the day without any guilt! So far so good . I also know what you mean when you say about reality shows. My friends are all gordious and skinny and I feel like a whale when I am around them. They are always the ones that get all the attention and get to wear the cool clothes. Hopefully this one day will make me start to feel better about myself and then I maybe I will want to me one day into 2, and if it keeps on goign like that, hopefully someday I will reach my goal! But like I said, one week is great! i just hope to make it that long and not binge or eat junk food.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Out of curiosity...there actually IS such a thing as a size zero? I'm just a poor little Aussie here and I know our sizings are different, but generally speaking i think our sizes are on average only two larger ie Aussie 8 = US 6.

A US 0 would be an Aussie 2 and i have NEVER seen a size smaller here than a 6 and thats rarely and i have never actually seen anyone wearing it. Its always one of those sizes on the 50% off rack because it doesnt sell.

Going from the average (and yes, i know they do vary) measurement progression for sizings here in Aus, that would make a US 0: waist: 47cms or 18" and hips: 73cms or 29".

Isnt 18" the waist size women used to squeeze and squash and torture their waists into when corsets were all the rage? AND women were smaller framed back then as well come to think of it.

lol, sorry for the ramble...that just got my brain ticking over. Those sizes stagger me!
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:16 PM   #7  

Yep, there is cuz I have shopped places that have then and met girls that wear them. They are so tiny! I really dont understand who would want to be that small! But there is such a thing. One time I over heared a girl in a dressing room that had to be at least 14 or 15 who was mad because she had grown out of size zero and had to wear a 1! Can you even amagin that. I couldnt! Well I hope I answered your question well enough!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:34 PM   #8  

Girls who wear a size 0 do not have a size 18 inch waist. I'm not really sure on the measurements, but I know its not that tiny. That's Scarlett O'Hara status! I think because a 0 is generally in Jrs. size which goes by the 0-3-5-7-9...etc.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:29 PM   #9  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

I just went to the abercombie and fitch site quick because i know they have both size 00 and 0, and the measurements for those are:

size 00: waist: 23-24 hips: 33-34
size 0 : waist: 24-25 hips: 34-35

this probably isn't accurate for all clothing stores, as some are cut bigger and some are cut smaller.
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Sorry for the late reply on this thread lol, it had me interested but i lost which one it was!

Thats rather shocking really, because my waist is 24" and hips 35" and I'm an Aussie size 8.

I thought our clothes sizings where a bit all over the place lol, at least I can be reasonably sure i will fit something between and 8 (mostly) and the occaisonally smaller cut 10! It must frustrate you guys to walk into shops and never know what size to go for.

Livi
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:36 PM   #11  
resident lactivist

If it's hurting you to watch TV, turn it off. Really. Or else, just watch the Discovery Channel. No one on that show (don't actually have cable, so can't remember the exact name) featuring West Coast Choppers is going to make you feel huge.

Honestly...I see these stick thin little celebrities, and I shudder. I sort of feel bad for them too, but then they start talking out of both sides of their mouths. Like Halle Berry...She was just preaching about how sad it is that women feel they need plastic surgery & whatnot, but at the same time the movie she has out right now is all about how good she looks in a vinyl catsuit. Jamie Lee Curtis made a big splash a year or two ago by being photographed for Redbook "raw" I guess you could say, no makeup, no support garments, nothing. She said she wanted women to know that these "perfect" actresses they see were in reality anything but, and it was OK to look that way. This year? This year she says her next movie will probably be her last because she doesn't want to watch herself grow old onscreen. Do you see the inconsistency here?

It's all over the place, it really is. Look at the women's magazines the next time you're at Wal-Mart. We've been talking about this in the Buyer Beware forum. You have these weeklies, Woman's World & First for Women. Every single week, it's one of two things: either a huge picture of a woman talking about how much weight she lost and a smaller picture touting the latest calorie-laden recipes that you just MUST make for your family, or a giant picture of a dessert of some sort and a smaller headline about this week's miracle diet. Glamour magazine does it too. I have the copy with Queen Latifah on the cover. They're talking about how gorgeous she is as a "larger woman." If she's such a gorgeous larger woman, then why the **** wasn't she on the cover before she lost those twenty-five pounds they're talking about in the magazine? Remember Mode magazine from a few years ago, or its clone Grace? "Style beyond size"...Even when they were preaching about loving the body you're in, they had size 12 "plus" models.

I'll let you in on another thing. This celebrity thinness? It feeds on itself. These women are never good enough. I think it was Vivica A Fox who starred in "Kill Bill"? She was a size six going into the movie, but that was too big! A size six! They put her with a personal trainer for something like three hours a day to get her down to a size two. My other favorite example is Janet Jackson. Before she was known for nipple jewelry she was known for washboard abs. Her personal trainer said in a magazine that she was a size 4 when he started her in on a regimin of something like 200 situps a session, but he "worked with her" and got her down to a size 0. As if a size 4 was too large! And lest we forget, Renee Zellweger was lambasted as fat (and apparently lost a boyfriend because of the weight gain) when she put on weight to play Bridget Jones...She weighed 124 pounds when the "fat" talk started. Ladies, Renee Zellweger is 5'5". One twenty-four is on the low end of normal for that height. Once she graduated from underweight to normal weight, Hollywood called her fat.

It is so hard to step outside ourselves. But we need to. At some point, you have to look at the celebrity machine, at what it does even to the women in it, and realize how absolutely farking insane it is. It is totally divorced from reality. We owe it to ourselves to not hang our worth on that star. I mean, if the gal next to you started talking about how her neighbor's dog commanded her to lose 20 pounds, you'd realize it was nuts, right? Getting your self-worth from people whose money is made by making you fee less is no better.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:56 PM   #12  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

My cousin is a size 1. And she had to be hyperthyroid to get that way. No thanks. I'd rather not have to deal with the disease to fit that kind of size.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:53 PM   #13  

I worked and lived in Hollywood for a number of years (and will be going back soon! yay!) and while it is true that the women whose bodies I always envy do have the luxury of personal chefs and trainers, many of them (a frightening number) also have drug problems.

In the end it is always more important to respect and care for your body than to abuse it for the sake of vanity. I know it's really hard, especially in high school. When I was in HS I wore a 24 and my two best friends both wore 0s. One day they both wore the same pair of pants and one had them in a 1 instead of the 0 the other had, so she started crying. *sigh*

Take care of yourself and don't let it get you down. And when all else fails, read a book
shellsbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:25 AM   #14  
resident lactivist

Quote:
And when all else fails, read a book
Try "Good in Bed" by Jennifer Weiner.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:53 AM   #15  

I have read that!! Its great. The library has "In her shoes", but someone else has it checked out right now.