South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 09:32 AM   #1  

Default Help! I feel like a failure!

I started SB for the first time yesterday. Breakfast, lunch and my snacks went fine and were pretty much straight from the book. About an hour after "lunch" (I'm on nights right now), I started feeling really hungry so I had my snack early which was only a piece of celery with Laughing Cow in it. My co-worker wanted to get out of the office (one of the luxuries of my job) and we ended up at a Salsbury House (kind of like a Perkins). I was craving sugar so badly and I ended up ordering (and eating) french toast -- it was 3 normal size slices of white bread and the small miracle was that I didn't use the amount of syrup I would have any other time. I'm so angry with myself that I could literally sit here and cry a river.

I know this is a process and that I shouldn't have thought that this would be simple in any way. I guess my question for all of you is this: When you're on Phase I, what do you do when the "sweet" craving hits? If I had been at home I would have made SF Jello but I was at work. I just kept saying to myself, "No, you can't stop at 7-11 for chocolate". Help!!

Kristin
Old 08-10-2004, 09:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I think it takes some adjustment to get into the swing of things with South Beach, most people can't go sugar-free cold turkey, I know I sure can't! Think positively, it was only one meal, and you stayed OP for every other meal, that alone probably will net you some weight loss. Every meal is a new start, and since it's only day one, you just need to add another day at the end and you will be fine! Every little bit counts
Old 08-10-2004, 09:44 AM   #3  
Working for the Cruise!

Hey chica, I hear you. I'm a workaholic and I know how hard it can be when you're away from home and the cravings hit.

Here's my way around it:
I keep a jar of SF Hard Candies on my desk.
If there's a freezer in your office, keep some SF Fudgcicles on hand (especially for the chocolate cravings)
Use the make ahead technique and have pre-made single servings of Phase I desserts on hand.
Sometimes a Diet Coke (or Diet Rite) just does the trick!

At a restaurant, always let your dining partner know you're dieting. Sometimes it is really difficult to order a salad alone, but if they get salad it can be slightly easier.

DF and DBF always back me up, if I feel the need to slip up, they catch me.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:53 AM   #4  

Make sure you bring lots of OP snacks with you when you are first getting started. Don't worry so much about quantity during Phase 1. You just need to get rid of the cravings. Bring lots of celery (or cauliflower or red pepper slices) and dip if you want it. Hummus or black beans are good to dip in. Bring ham or turkey rollups. Reduced fat cheese. If you are eating lots of food you are less likely to be truly hungry.

Unless you are absolutely sure that the restaurant that you are going to has something that is Phase 1 (and you have the willpower to avoid the non-OP foods), I would suggest staying away restaurants in Phase 1. I do eat out occasionally in Phase 2 but it is harder to know what they add to the foods and you definitely don't want to eat sugar accidently when you are trying to detox.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:04 AM   #5  

Default French toast has never killed anybody

Relax! You can't ruin your life with French toast. I've never done SB, so I don't know what Phase 1 entails. I count calories, though, and I don't eat many refined-sugar treats (as much as I often want to). When I get sweet cravings I have a Pria bar or some fruit, but they may be technically off-limits for you. No matter what program you're on, though, it's hard not to eat the candy on the receptionist's desk or the warm bread that comes to the table while you're waiting for your entree, and although it gets easier, it never goes away completely. Nobody makes perfect choices all the time.

Next time, don't beat yourself up. Small lifestyle changes will help you get your cravings under control, and completely denying yourself the things that you want will make you resentful of the program. That will only make it harder to stick with it. Wean yourself off of refined carbs rather than trying to cut them out all at once. Start by splitting the order of French toast, or taking home 1/2 of it. You'll be going whole days without sugar before you know it. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-10-2004, 10:14 AM   #6  
kikilai

KristinJ-you aren't a failure! You're human!! Get back on the horse. When i was working nights, eating well was so hard! Bring too much food to work, my saving grace was eating an Entire bunch of celery with salsa. That way if you have to keep eating to keep yourself going, it's the least damaging. And ask your friend for Help! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 10:35 AM   #7  
Conquering with SBD

I agree with the advice here. I have been on SBD for three months and still find times when I want an extra snack at work. I have a stash of foods at the office for those times.

Yesterday was a birthday party for the boss - BIG chocolate cake for afternoon coffee. I voluteered to set everything up, make the drinks (including a container of Chrystal Lite for me), serve everyone, wash the dishes, etc - busy hands keep the temptation at a minimum. I also knew that I would feel sorry for myself because I could not have the cake, so made sure that I brought a piece of the OP cheesecake to eat. I was satisfied and didn't feel like I had missed out on anything. I also went home with my extra snack of cottage cheese that I had taken to work.

I find that if I make sure that I have lots of OP snacks and food at work, I am less tempted to indulge in foods that are not allowed. I would rather take food that I don't eat home than be tempted to eat off program foods because I am craving or hungry.

One other rule that I have forced myself to keep is to plan restaurant eating. I won't go our for lunch on the spur of the moment. For me, this is too tempting. One of the guys in the office asked mey out for lunch last week - I declined and actually went to the track instead. He invited me for the following day - I accepted. It gave me time to plan my day's eating regimen and enjoy the lunch without guilt.

You can do this. The suggestions from these ladies are great.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:32 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Kristin, it'll take some work and the sugar cravings may be really hard in the first few days if you are used to eating a lot of sweet things. They'll pass, trust me. It may take a while for you to get the hang of breaking old habits, but it'll be worth it. Have faith in yourself.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:46 AM   #9  
Working for the Cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet tooth
I voluteered to set everything up, make the drinks (including a container of Chrystal Lite for me), serve everyone, wash the dishes, etc - busy hands keep the temptation at a minimum.
That's another thing! DF is a stick, literally. He eats and eats and never gains weight. And if he does on some rare occassion, he does 300 crunches and the belly is gone. We're young yet, and he is an athlete.....regardless, he is a Krispy Kreme eater as well as many other things.

I noticed that I really just enjoy buying these things, not so much eating them. So I buy the donuts or cheat foods, and toss them to him.

I don't recommend this as a process for anyone, but it really works for me. When working at a local deli for a PTJ I met another Beach Bum who did the same for her husband.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:47 AM   #10  
Working for the Cruise!

Oops, forgot something else.....Peggy also mentioned planning restaurant meals. That's a good idea, but I can't plan too far ahead. If DF wants to eat at a new place, I search for a menu. Check Yellow Pages and even the internet for menus. You'd be surprised how many local joints have them nowadays.

This way you can plan ahead and be spur of the moment all at the same time!
Old 08-10-2004, 01:34 PM   #11  

Hmmmm, well I guess there's not much to tell you that hasn't already been said by everyone else. Keep snacks at work - nuts will work if you don't have a fridge there. Stay out of restaurants and fast food joints, even convenience stores, until you get the hang of this way of eating and until you've got a grip on the cravings. Be good to yourself in other ways - take a bubblebath, or buy a new pair of earrings, or whatever will make you feel a bit pampered. Remember why you're doing this in the first place, and realize that if you cheat you are only cheating yourself out of a healthier life.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:51 PM   #12  
I found my hipbones!

The sugar free jello cups are good, Kristin, though, they never filled me up enough. A coworker of mine put whipped cream on top of hers (I know there's some kind of whipped cream allowed on SBD, though, I can never remember which kind), and she said that helped fill her up.

Red bell peppers were what got me through Phase I; I'd just cut them up in the morning and bring them in a baggie to work with me. They're also good with hummus. The peppers were just sweet enough to curb that urge for me. I also used to make a lot of salsa and cheddar omelets for breakfast.

Sugar free bubble gum helps me make it between snacks and meals when I'm feeling extra hungry. Kinda fools my brain into thinking I'm eating, but I'm really not, plus it's sweet.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:58 PM   #13  

Thanks everyone! After a good days sleep I feel much better and feel like I can start again. Your advice is all great and will take something from everyone I assure you! My best friend just invited me out for dinner (my breakfast) and said that I could pick where to go. There is a greek restaurant in town with the BEST chicken cesar salad -- the chicken is hot when it's served. I will order NO crutons and NO pita bread. I can do this. I think part of my problem is that I had decided to also give up diet soda at the same time. I think in the end that was a bad choice. Lets get through phase 1 and then consider it. Giving up everything at once was too difficult.

Thank you again everyone!

Kristin
Old 08-10-2004, 09:50 PM   #14  

With a great attitude like that you will make it through Phase 1 just fine! Good going, Kristin
Closed Thread