General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 10:02 AM   #1  

Unhappy somersizing i cant do this

hi everybody, how are you guys doing?? this is my third day without cheating and i just dont feel well, and i dont think i can make it a whole week, that is what some people said it takes , then you will start to feel better, when trying to lose weight you have to listen to your body, and mine just doesnt want to eat all these proteins, and the carb meals are not satisfying to me, i am full but as far as all the fat free stuff you have to put on your pasta, doesnt satisfy me. instead of saying i failed at another attempt to lose weight i will just keep on trying, sooner or later, i hope sooner, something has got to sink in for a life time, and i think it will be just eating less and excercising. i hope all of you try to stick with this maybe it will work for you, i had a protien breakfast and i feel nauseous right now, i will hold off till lunch and just start back eating light. everything ss says about food makes so much sense, but i know alot of people who lost alot of weight by just eating regular portions and trying to make better healthier choices. good luck to all, i will probably be reading your posts.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:08 PM   #2  

I probably shouldn't butt in here but.....just wanted to let you know that all plans don't work for all people. I went on a low carb plan and I got sick and my doctor pulled me off. This plan works for a lot of people but doesn't work for everyone. I would keep looking to find out what works for you. Just my two cents worth.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:23 PM   #3  

Angry hi dimples

thanks for sharing your experience, glad i was not the only one. congrats on your weight loss, guess you found what works for you. i ate a normal lunch , and i am feeling much better now. boy was i in a miserable mood this morning.
Old 06-05-2001, 03:03 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Dimples is right!

Basically, you've got to find out what works for YOU. As long as it's healthy...I've recommended some books on my website - you may want to give "Thin for Life" by Anne Fletcher or "The Fat of The Land" by Michael Fumento a quick skim-through (both should be in your local library). No celebrities, no miracle magic potions, just good common sense advice!

Here's my opinion on Somersizing. From what I've read, basically it involves food combining, a theory which has no basis in fact as far as science is concerned. I will probably tick off a lot of Suzanne Somers fans, but lets face it - she's an ACTRESS, not a nutritionist. I don't recall her ever being fat - but then again I haven't read up on her - "Three's Company" was never one of my favorite shows. Maybe she gained 10 pounds after the show went off the air, I don't know.

Apparently, she has hooked up with a Dr. Schwartzbein, who is the current proponent of food combining (a theory first made popular by "Fit for Life" by the Diamonds). Schwartzbein had a book out previously but it didn't sell very well...UNTIL it was revamped as a Suzanne Somers book, excuse me three or four books!

What I do know about Suzanne Somers is that she appears to be a third-rate actress and a first-rate salesperson on the Home Shopping Network. Apparently, millions of people flock to purchase anything she puts her name on. Thighmasters (which sold in the millions and are now gracing garage sales across America); Buttmasters (see Thighmasters), Ab Masters, ad nauseum. The top of the heap seems to be her "FaceMaster of Beverly Hills" which is a piece of plastic with a 9-volt battery that she sells for $100! Apparently she has been using this for seven years and of course, we'll all see the same results she has. I can't believe that so many people fall for this stuff!!! The FaceMaster is 'her secret for younger looking skin'. Of course, she also has her own line of skin-care products.

The whole thing just amazes me! The diet book thing in particular reminds me of what Michael Fumento said in his book "The Fat of The Land" in the chapter "The Profiteers" on how to make a fortune writing a diet book:
(I'm paraphrasing here since I don't have the book with me - I'll edit it later)
1. Be fat.
2. Lose weight.
3. Pretend that by losing weight you are now an expert in this area.
4. Write about your foolproof plan to lose weight, then slap a bunch of recipes and esoteric references so that your 10,500 word article now has the heft of a 250-page book.
5. Stay thin long enough for your appearances on Good Morning America and the Today shows.
6. And - most importantly - don't forget to promise something for nothing.

If I sound skeptical, that's because I am!
Old 06-05-2001, 03:59 PM   #5  

Smile

thanks for bringing me back down to reality. guess i will have to figure it out on my own, with some suggetstion and supportative people on here, i know it will happen. well going out to dinner with some relatives that are here from california, last time i saw them i swore when they came again, i wouldnt be this heavy. i dont even feel like going. i will try my hardest to make healthy choices. maybe since i am feeling down, i wont want eat that much, usually in the past this feeling made me want to pig out, but this time it feels different. maybe this is the first of many changes i am making, not to eat out of a certain emotion.
Old 06-05-2001, 04:12 PM   #6  

Hi There,

You will find what works for you. I lost the majority of my weight just by counting calories. I am currently still counting calories. I joined TOPS in November and that has been a big help for me as well. I personally believe we need all food groups and I try and eat healthy and sensibly and I plan my food so I can snack throughout the day. I also plan to have food such as chocolate because it is something I like and as long as I eat it in moderation I don't feel deprived. I don't eat it everyday but if I want it I know I can have it. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Old 06-05-2001, 04:52 PM   #7  

Angry hi dimples

sounds like a plan. it just makes so much sense. to have the foods you like but not everyday splurges. as soon as i hear you cant have, than i want. imagine i thought in a moment of insanity, that i could give up popcorn, and a baked potato. i know i can have them i just have to watch what i put on them. but when they turn to sugar in your body and raise insulin level it makes you want to pig out on more starches., is what i am brain washed to believe, but i know others eat them and they lost a lot of weight. i have to change my whole way of thinking. i will , i will keep you informed.
Old 06-05-2001, 05:36 PM   #8  

Default somersizing

Willbethin-I tried Somersizing and couldn't take it-hungry all the time-signed up to WW yesterday and I like being in control and counting and I am having a potato with my chicken!!!!yeah Mima
Old 06-05-2001, 06:46 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Smile Balance

Right now I'm doing the Body for Life Challenge - on week 7 at this point.

One of the things that attracted me to BFL was - there was no overemphasis on protein or carbs in the book. BFL is very simple - you have a portion of protein (measured with your palm) and a portion of carbs (the size of your fist) at every meal, along with at least two servings of veggies a day.

I'm not advocating BFL but just saying that a good lifetime eating plan doesn't completely eliminate any food group - it all has to do with BALANCING your calories - the calories going in and the calories being burned through exercise.

I have my own opinion about 'carbohydrate addiction'. I think it would be more appropriately labeled 'sugar addiction'. Carbs are not bad - they just need to be balanced like everything else in life. "Everything in moderation, including moderation".

My immediate tips would be:

Keep two journals - a food and exercise journal (www.fitday.com is a terrific free resource!) and a journal of your thoughts. Lots of places sell those ring-bound journalbooks (Old Navy always seems to have them on sale). Write down your feelings, your dreams, your aspriations, whatever you want. Looking inside yourself really goes a long way towards reaching your goals!

Move! Find an exercise (or two, or three) that you truly enjoy doing. When I was 265, I started walking around the neighborhood (actually I started getting into moving by going to a plus-sized women's exercise class where I felt comfortable - most of these classes aren't focused on weight-loss but on becoming active and losing some of those inhibitions!). Actually there was a plus-sized women's health spa in our area until recently. I am sad to say that they have closed their doors. However, their website is still up at www.women-of-substance.com - this may give you an idea of finding a place that may be more comfy for you than the typical gym filled with hardbodies. Here's another link I found: http://www.infitnessinhealth.com/

If you're plus-sized, check out the book "Great Shape" by Pat Lyons. Even though she doesn't focus on weight-loss, it was a great help to me when I was floundering about trying to find out how to begin moving.

Also, Jazzercise is a great place to go - I really enjoyed it. Most of the instructors I have personally known take a great deal of interest in all their students and are very encouraging. If you go to www.jazzercise.com you will find a printable coupon good for a free class!

Educate yourself - go to your library - it's a wonderful FREE resource! I've recommended some books that would be a good start. Stay away from those fad 'miracle' diet books and just go for the common-sense stuff - the Fumento book and the Fletcher book are two excellent choices. Oprah's "Make the Connection" is also VERY inspiring - the video as well!

Whatever weight you are, make sure you always look your best - stay well groomed, dress as nicely as you can, have a manicure and a pedicure once in awhile! Looking good helps you FEEL good and will really give the old self-esteem a boost!

And of course, you can always post regularly here at 3FC for support. Some of us here have 10 pounds to lose - some 200 pounds but we're all in this together!

Take care!
Old 06-05-2001, 06:59 PM   #10  

By the way,

The Schwartzbein Principle is NOT a food combining diet. Suzanne Somers has *******ized the plan, making her diet of eating carbs separately from fat and protein.

That is not what Schwartzbein says.

Schwartzbein is an endocrinologist in private practice who noticed that her DIABETIC patients did better when they reduced portions of carbs- and ate more "healthy" fats and protein, than most had been eating. these were patients who were eating white bagels and pasta and bread with no butter, but has little solid nutrition in their day. Her plan, including a great Vegetarian plan, is balanced and looks very much like the old time WW plan, where you eat one "Bread Exchange" per meal or snack. It tends to be too low carb for some, but gives you oatmeal and other whole grains, cornbread, tons of fruit and veggies and stresses low fat poultry and small amount of other protein.

I recommend her books, just skip the Suzanne Somers/actress/infomercial thing. It's just a commercial rip-off! But Schwartzbein is good science and good medicine for those with insulin and other hormone-based pathology.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by dottiejon; 06-05-2001 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:12 PM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Hey Dottie...

Have you seen that Suzanne Somers Facemaster thing that she sells on HSN??? Unbelievable - and yet people buy it at $100 a pop, thinking they'll look just like Suzanne Somers...I think that's what sells her books as well. Still amazes me.

Joan Rivers was selling artificial boobs as well when she had a talk show a few years back. Just too funny! Yet they were flying off the shelves...okay, now I'm imagining flying boobs...

Like I said before, I have never read Suzanne Somers' books but I did notice that Diana Schwartzbein is listed as the co-author for "Eat, Cheat and Melt the Fat Away". From what you wrote, it appears that Somers picked out the stuff she wanted to use from Schwartzbein and put it into her book. I could be wrong since I have not read it, nor the Schwartzbein books.
Old 06-05-2001, 08:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

Hi There WillBeThin....

I am sorry you are having problems. I too have been having problems finding a plan.... tried the summersizing thing and just cant do it... also tried Weight Watchers and didn't have much success there - although lots and lots of people do have great success there.... it is just me I guess...

You do have to just find a plan for you. Something somewhere has got to stick... I know exactly how you feel though. I am there right now trying to find something.

I have started reading a bood called the Business Plan for the Body. So far it seems like alot of common sense. It is funny how you don't think about the common sense stuff. He basically states that your weight is based on the simple principle of

Calories In - Calories Out = Weight

Makes sense and I know that but why havent I thought of that myself.... he also has a chapter about the various fad diets...

There is a Topic on this Forum about this book.... why don't you read what we have written about it and then maybe you can go get the book at the library or something..... maybe it would help you.

I know your struggle and disappointment in yourself, the helplessness that you feel. I am there. I am going to find something and I know that you can too.

Good Luck and dont get discouraged.....

the saying that keeps coming to my mind is about Edison trying 10,000 times till he figured out the lightbulb... or something like that... and when someone asked him about failing 10,000 times he said he didnt fail... he figured out 10,000 ways that it didnt work.... we are just figuring out ways that dont work....

Last edited by Angel26519; 06-05-2001 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:25 PM   #13  

Mrs. Jim,

I think you'd enjoy the Schwartzbein book- just read "The Schwartzbein Principle." She is sensible, smart, and not out to make money.

I read it for my own education, not so much to "do" the program. It's very healthy and as balanced as can be! And she teaches us about the science of our hormones and food so well!

Potatoes Not Prozac- another great read, just to learn about out biochemistry in a tolerable, not too scientific way.

Have fun!!

dottie
Old 06-06-2001, 08:25 AM   #14  

Angry thanks guys

MIMA- good luck with ww, potatoes and chicken sounds good.

ANGEL- great analysis with edison. i know i am not alone, thanks for sharing your struggle. i know what is healthy and i kinda now how much to eat, i know i maybe should be counting calories, to see how much food is 1400 calories, i think that is what i am allowed to have. but then when i run into a food that i dont know caloric value, i just dont want to count calories anymore. i really just need to start out eating more veggies, and making healthier choices and eating less. i already excercise. i know what to do i just have to do it.

thanks for all the book suggestions.
Old 06-06-2001, 09:22 AM   #15  
GARDENING ADDICT

Willbethin~~~It has been mentioned several times on the board but try thr site at www.fitday.com . There you can enter your food intake and it will automatically add up your calories,fat,protein,carbs,vitamins,etc. You can either pick from a food list or enter your own nutritional values form the food container. Once you have entered in a food item, you can easily retreive it from the list. The site also will give you the calories you burn based on your entries. It is a wonderful place to see exactly what you are eating and where you can make changes.
It was recommended to me by MrsJim and it is the best site I have used in along time (next to 3FC'S of course )
~~~Sil
Closed Thread