Old 07-26-2004, 04:02 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias #28

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is just about one o'clock and as I type it is a whopping 90 degrees with the expected high of 104. Feels good in this house though. I have my fan going in my office and am quite comfortable. Cowboy took my couthouse to show to the gentleman who has my other things on consignment and didn't come home with it. They put a cool $200 price tag on it. We'll see but he sure thought it would sell for that and wants me to make more. I have some glass on order. The second one should be easier and hopefully the new white glass will not be so rotten to work with. I must have gotten hold of a bad piece because it wouldn't cut worth anything. I ended up using a whole sheet for just one little building and should have gotten about 3 out of it. O-well ~ that's the breaks. Pun intended. OH ~ I got the neatest smaller rotisserie which only does 1 chicken (or what ever meat I want to cook) at a time instead of the two in the larger Showtime I had and dearly loved. This is a new model that Chef's Catalogue has just gotten in stock and I have a chicken in it even as I type. I have a whole slew of recipes in which to use left over rotisserie chicken and this one may be something I will have to find room for in the motorhome. It even has a two quart casserole that is the top and I can cook veggies or whatever at the same time. A Rotating Vertical Roaster with Top Casserole by Franklin Chef. Works for me.

FAYE I hope all is going well with you and you are mending nicely. I am sure you do remember these hot California summers without rain.

JEAN poor Mom cat. Wish they could find the true cause. Turn doesn't like that special food either. He doesn't even like fish. His favorites are the little individual tear open packets and loves the duck and rice. He is a poultry liking cat. Good thing he likes rice because that is so good for cats. I have the giblets boiling to cut up for him from that chicken I am roasting.

Have a great day everyone. It is Monday so let us make the most of a fresh week.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:38 PM   #2  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I am listening to the neighbors and their guests whoop it up as the guests are leaving -- I think someone had a birthday because there were lots of cars there when we came home from our walk tonight. It's been another beautiful day in my corner of the world -- only 60% humidity and 70°. Delightful!

Maggie -- I think the trip to the vet must have done the trick because Mom hasn't had any more fur hunks laying around since. She is chowing down the dry food I buy for the stray cats outside . . . she never begs for people food but always stands by the door for her handful when I feed them. I know she is getting up there in age but I would miss her so much -- our cats are like having 3 kids in that each has their own personality and little quirks. I just posted on a SM thread that "Gma" started before I saw this one. . .you both must have posted about the same time.

I am going to catch the news and head for bed. Have a terrific Tuesday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:34 AM   #3  

I am deleting my thread so there is just one. This is my post from yeszterday.

Good morning ladies.

Jean: I was thinking when you talked about the cat pulling hair out that usually they give them prednisone for allergies as they say that is why they do that. I figure Fortune may have allergies as he chews on his paws a lot and they said it is usually allergies or boredom and I don't think he is bored as he gets played with a lot and is not home alone during the day. Hope Mom gets to feeling better. As for the food issue, they are both grazers and since we never had any intention of having a cat, the way I fed him from the beginning would have been ok but now it's a pattern pretty much set. They both have to have shots soon so I will see what the vet suggests.

Maggie: Congrats on losing again. My problem for months and months is consistency. I have the water and exercise under my belt firm, but staying OP has been tough the last few months and I think part of it is hormonal because is seems to come in waves. I just have to figure out how to conquer it permanently. We don't have junk food in the house anymore but cravings were so bad I went out and got stuff yesterday and pigged it down. I hope that is the end of it for awhile.

Have a great day

faye
Old 07-27-2004, 11:35 AM   #4  

Talking

Good Morning, Flowers!
I'm just checking in to say "hello" while I wait for the dishwasher, washer, and dryer to finish doing their thing. Then I'm off to put our bedroom back together -- DH will be so surprised when he gets home as it has been torn apart for a week.

I hope you all have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!

PS -- I just tried to post this and got the message it was to short and to lengthen it by one character. That is a new one on me!
Old 07-27-2004, 01:49 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Arrow Tueaday the 27th

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is going to be another hot one this day. Last evening while Cowboy was gone I made a couple night lights. One is so cute ~ a light house of all things. I made the pattern up of a card holder I have. I think I will make more for there are more folks than you know that collect light houses and it is something I can sell that won't be that expensive ~ only a little. I like making these little things in between bigger projects ~ I use up some scrap glass this way also.

FAYE There are so many "rules." So cats can't eat dog food and vise versa. Guess they have ingredients in each that are just for them. I know Turn has to have some rice in his diet to help with his uniary tract. Maybe your system is doing a forced maintenance. It is hard sometimes when lots is going on in ones life to maintain ones FOCUS as I have found.

JEAN hope all is well in your corner of the world. Isn't it amazing how fast this summer is scooting by. You don't have much time before you have to report for duty. Enjoy all of your time off while you can.

Type at ya later.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:19 PM   #6  

Maggie -- I've never heard of rice helping the urinary tract. Sounds good to me. If you would be interested in making a lighthouse for me, I would buy one. Amanda collects lighthouses. I could use a cat too!

The summer is going way too fast! I just went for a walk hoping I could walk a # off. It seemed strange to go during the day hours and by myself. . .usually we go after supper and neighbors are out and about.

Have a good "rest of the day!" I need to find something to wear to WW -- won't go in shorts.

Jean from Iowa again!
Old 07-28-2004, 12:11 AM   #7  
Thin Within

Arrow Later Tuesday

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I got a chuckle today when Cowboy got home. He went out to run some errands and took the two night lights with him to drop them off. He also took the belt he had made for a lady that works at the Sherriffs office. He stopped there first and showed her the night lights and she wouldn't give back the light house because she wanted to buy it for a friend that collects light houses. So she wrote out a check for he belt and the night light.

JEAN e- mail me about what you want made out of glass. I don't think I am supposed to do any selling at this web site. No soliciting or some thing like that.

Have a lovely eveing flowers.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:39 AM   #8  

Evening ladies! Jack is sick, I am worried so of course can't sleep now. He came home and said his knees were aching which was no big deal has he has bad arthritis in them from walking the decks of the ships he was on. He was fine ate dinner and whatnot and listened to the Cubs game on the radio and said he got chilled in his office so he put on a sweatshirt. When he came to bed he was totally chilled has a lower grade temp. He took some Ibuprophen and layered on the blankets though I am sweating to beat 60 from hotflashes! My concern is he works where there is a lot of mosquitos and he does have some of the symptoms to what they call West Nile Fever so I am watching him close and if he isn't totally better in the am he is going to the doctor.

Maggie: Oooh Jean got me to thinking. I am going to e-mail you about something too.

Jean: Uh, Jean, there are 3500 calories in one lb and they say an average person can walk about a mile in 20 minutes or so. Now they say half hour walk burns 150 calories so guess how many miles you are gonna have to walk for that one lb. DID YOU SAY I AIN'T A GOIN' TO SLEEP TONIGHT JUST WALK ALL NIGHT??????

Jack just said his fever broke so I need to go check on him1

Nighty night!

faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 02:47 PM   #9  
Web Nana

Hello Everyone!!!

You won't believe what a month I've had. The last thing was the computer died. Was using it a week ago Monday and the fan on the tower was revving up so I shut it down. Then, later when I tried to start it up again it kept shutting down. Called my local ISP and they suggested it might be the hard drive. UGH! Called HP and they tried three different things to start it up but to no avail so they said send it back and they would fix it. Tuesday Fedex picked it up, no charge, and HP said it would take 7 to 8 working days to fix so I expected it back later this week. Lo and behold while we were out on Monday they tried to deliver it. Had to go the their workplace to pick it up later that evening. Just got it set up and all seems well....knock on wood. Of course, they had to reformat my hard drive and that means I have lost all the info I had put on it. Starting from scratch....had to relog in here and will have to do the same everyplace, I guess. Also will have to try to figure out my favorites again. Oh well, alls well that ends well.

We have had 3 wakes and funerals in the last three weeks. Two of DH's Air Force buddies and a friend of my 2nd daughter. The first was a 94 yr old who had fallen down his cellar stairs, broke his neck, and then climbed up changed his clothes and drove himself the the local hospita. One look at him and the transferred him to Mass Gen. He had a 12 hour operation and was in intensive care for 6 weeks and getting better when he got pneumonia and that is what did him in. The second was Gen. Sweeney a good friend of DH. He was the person who piloted the plane that dropped the atomic bomb on Nagasaki. He was a great man and when told that he was an awful person to have done such a thing, he replied "If you belief that of me then pray for me." Today was a 44 yr old wife and mother who had been in a coma for 7i months. Just before Christmas she drove her self to the hospital with a severe headache and went into a coma from bleeding into the brain due to Leukemia....she never knew she had it. It was so sad to see her two girls today..6 & 10.

Well enough for now. I still have a lot to do to get this computer back to normal.

Gloria in MA....glad to be back with you all.
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:12 PM   #10  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It is cloudy and cool in my corner of the world . . . the rain is about an hour west of us according to Amanda. I just called to confirm a babysitting date with Ian this weekend. We need rain as the grass is turning brown. I've been putzing again today and I need to get movin' but I wanted to check in here with you all.

Maggie -- You beat me to sending the email! You will have a going business just from your cyber friends!

"Gma" -- I was bummed last night . . . I was up a # although my scale showed me the same as last week or so I thought. Guess from now on I will have to write #s down to compare. I hope Jack is feeling better -- it scary any time but to have chills in the hot summer especially so. I hope you get some rest.

Gloria -- Isn't it aggravating when computers "die?" My fan was making more noise than usual and DH said it probably needed dusting in the cubbyhole that it sits in. The nerve of him! I moved it a little bit and it quit. They say that things come in 3s so you've had your 3 wakes/funerals. The really sad one is the young mother leaving two small children.

I've got to get busy! Have a great "rest of the day!"

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 07-28-2004, 05:23 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Arrow Humpday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is another nice rain less summer day here. We truly love going curising in the cool of the evening. I stay in and do my thing in the heat of the day. Cowboys umping is over for the season now so he is busy in his shop doing his leather things. I am taking the day off my glass works to get some other things done. The lady at the Sherrifs office said she wants to hire me to do all her Christmas gifts. Wonder what she has in mind for me to make. She loved the ladybug box I made for her yesterday. I put wire feelers on the bug and made a cute little lid opener with a couple of glass beeds to match the box. My little extra touches.

GLORIA HP is so good about fixing computers and getting them back in a hurry. I had to send mine in before the warrantee ran out. I won't be taking this one along when we go full timing again but that is quite a few months in the future. It took me quite awhile to get all my favorite things back on my computer but I did manage to do it.

JEAN Since folks are starting now to ask for things to be made for Christmas presents it will give me time to get them done. Once I start one project I see it through to the end. Last night I was making a chili pepper night light. Got the whole thing together and then saw that a crack had developed across the front pepper. This morning I took the whole thing apart and recut another pepper and it turned out fine. Sometimes little cracks develope in the glass buildings but the glass isn't going to fall out or go any where and usually they aren't even noticeable. It just does that at times. But being the very front pepper in such a small item it sure showed up. Anyway I had to make it right before starting anything else is my point. So now I am ready to start another project. Someone asked for a outhouse night light.

FAYE How is Jack feeling this day? That west nile business can sure zap a person. Hope he is well on the mend. And you also!

Type at ya'all later
Old 07-28-2004, 11:20 PM   #12  

Evening gals! Well here we go again! Jack has a high fever again tonight and is totally miserable because he can't take much pain and fever reliever because of his heart. Here it is in the 80's and he is covered in extra blankets. Poor thing! I am up because I took some pain meds because of a back and shoulders aching from swimming a little over zealously and knocked out but his groaning woke me up when he came to bed. He has a dr appt tomorrow though.

Gloria: Sorry about the 'puter troubles. That is always such a pain to lose your info etc and try and recreate it again. You have had a lot of deaths and pneumonia is a death sentence for the elderly.

Jean: Have fun with Ian. I do so miss my little guy and I see him so rarely. Just have to deal with what comes from that!

Maggie: I absolutely adore the little store pic you sent me. I can't wait to hear from my dil about the dojo.

Tomorrow is errand day and I have a plumber coming about a faucet leaking that Jack has not been able to fix himself. He is going to "plumb" sit while I go grocery shopping and do other errands before his dr appt in the afternoon.

talk with you tomorrow. I am going to try and get some sleep.

Faye
Old 07-28-2004, 11:45 PM   #13  

Just peeking in to say, "good night" to you all! We did get a little rain late this afternoon/evening along with lots of thunder. I decided to skip the walk since the sky was so dark and threatening.

Maggie -- You have far more patience that I do! I think that is why I never enjoyed sewing because my mom was a perfectionist and when I started, I ripped out more stitches than I put in! After we were married I did quite a bit of sewing but never let my mother inspect anything too closely! You will be so busy making things for other people that Christmas will be here before you know it! How soon do you plan on being "on the road" again?

"Gma" -- I'm sorry to hear that Jack still isn't feeling the best. I hope that the doctor will tell you it is a virus that has to run it's course with lots of TLC for the duration. Don't you and T live in the same area? Perhaps I just assumed that for some reason. We only missed seeing Ian a couple three weekends during his first year. Now that we have Maddy, we try to see them at least every other weekend. They live about a half hour apart which is nice most of the time. Beth has to work two Saturdays a month so that does put a damper on visiting -- we won't stop if she isn't home. Long story about the "significant other" and I don't have the energy tonight.

Hope you all have a good night's sleep and I'll see you tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-29-2004, 06:31 AM   #14  

Quick post as I haven't had much sleep as Jack had a rough night.

Jean: I only live 7 miles from T but because of difficulty with dd I have taken on a new approach now for several months that she had to call me. It is too messy to go into and especially on an open board but suffice it to say I would ask over and over and get no's so instead of constantly getting hurt I have taken the high road and make her come to me. It is still painful not to see him much but it was horrible the other way.

Have a great day girls.

faye
Old 07-29-2004, 03:49 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It is another beautiful day in my neighborhood -- 82° and sunny with NO wind for a change. I've been writing some letters I owe and making a grocery list. The town is having a "Neighborhood Night Out" next week and our's is meeting across the street. He is an EMT -- the firemen, policemen, and EMTs all go around town to introduce themselves in case one ever makes a 911 call. They are raising money to purchase and train a new drug dog. Our last one had to be put down this spring; he had ingested meth a couple of years ago and it affected his kidneys. He was a HUGE beautiful German Shepherd . . .sad. The dogs cost about $10,000 plus the daily upkeep after they get one. Anyhow, I have to make bars or cookies and I plan to do that on Monday morning so they won't be tempting me beforehand. I have to work at the hospital gift shop in the afternoon.

Question of the day . . . have any of you ever donated blood? I'm sneaking up on it and not sure what to expect.

"Gma" -- That is too bad about your daughter. T is missing out on a great relationship with his grandparents and that is sad! I just hate it when things happen in families to cause hard feelings. Hopefully she will see the damage and come around.

I see I am #14 again. I hope you all are having a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!