Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-22-2004, 05:43 PM   #1  

Default Pedometer vs. ... what?

I'd really like to find a way to keep track of how much distance I am travelling per day. I tried the McDonalds stepometer - no good. So then I bought one at Target - no good. (Apparently I take 84 steps to go to the washroom at work? Uh, it's right next door to my office.)

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might work? Or if there is a brand that is easy to use and reliable? I have a busy weekend of volunteer work coming up, and I am DYING to find out how much walking I put in at the farm.

Thanks.
lilwolfe006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:11 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

On a good pedometer, it will have a way to adjust it to your stride. Look for a pedometer that has some kind of mechanism on which you can adjust the sensitivity and it'll give you an approximate amount of steps. Of course it isn't perfect and certain terrain (stairs or non flat surface) could register differently.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:53 PM   #3  

Hi,
The pedometer I've used for about a year now is from New Lifestyles; their website is http://www.new-lifestyles.com/. I know several people who have had a lot of luck with their products; they're well-made and sturdy but not too pricey. I have no connection with them, I'm just a happy customer.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:00 PM   #4  
my dad made me1 from wood

i use sportline it has steps dist kcal and clock on it... u adjust it to ur stride length and ur weight. It also give u directions on how to measure ur stride I got it at the px here at fort stewart but i saw it also at walmart for like 10$. Its works really well so far i don't think its under or over counted my steps (well at least not to much)
scorchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:17 AM   #5  

anyone know good one that will measure your pulse and your calorie burned ?
bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:03 PM   #6  

I bought one from wal-mart for like $10. I walked in the mall for 2 hours, then I used my stationary bike for 30 minutes. Not to mention I walked across the college campus doing miscellaneous errands for another 2 hours, and guess how many steps it registered?

Apparently I have a stride like the jolly green giant. Awesome! Take THAT Superman.

My mother works in public health, and they gave everyone in their department some pedometers. She worked on a study using pedometers to find the average steps for a ton of jobs and "lifestyles" (college kids, amish farmers & amish wives, nurses, etc, etc.) The pedometer had a strap hanging from the bottom that clips to your pocket. So it's like a pendulum or something, and I think this is the key to measuring stride and keeping accuracy. Or maybe it just keeps it from falling off! They also monitored time, calories burned, and weekly steps totals.. some other stuff too that I don't recall. I don't know who makes them, though, because there's no company name on it. :X

I'm gonna check out those New Lifestyle models though. Has anyone looked at the ones always on ebay? I have a feeling many of those are those mcdonald's stepometers or something. :P

Last edited by niksa; 07-28-2004 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
niksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:13 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have a pretty good pedometer that I got for free but it has a predominant reset button and I keep accidentally pressing it so I don't use it. You might want to try to find one that protects the reset button.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:02 PM   #8  

Well thanks all! I got the New Lifestyles one, which is also known as the Digiwalker.

At the horse farm, it said I took 8500 steps in the 4 hours I worked there. It seems like that -could- be accurate.

However, it also counted 115 steps on the car drive there. (Hee, bouncy road, so it was forgivable)

But, more frustrating, was the mowing the yard. I did the back yard and it read 815 steps. Seemed again, pretty reasonable for accuracy. After finishing the front yard, it said 854.

It's just very frustrating to want to track yourself, and go through a good half hour of walking and up only getting 30 steps accounted for. It might have been that it shifted out of place - but then, how can I accurately figure out how many steps my 'lifestyle' is, if the car ride counts extra steps, the walking and turning around my desk DOESN'T count steps... etc etc.

It seems like those things only really work accurately, if you clip it on for your 'WALK' - and go from there. On a day to day, up in the morning, down at night, routine - it can't keep up with all the exceptions. I spent $35 on that one too! Phoeey.
lilwolfe006 is offline   Reply With Quote