Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-20-2004, 08:45 PM   #1  

Default Winsor Pilates or the Firm?

I just ordered the Winsor Pilates dvds, and now I am having second thoughts...maybe the Firm workouts would be better for overall weight loss and firming? I need to lose 30 pounds, and really want something that will let me see results. I am thinking now with the pilates, I will still need to do cardio anyways>?
TamraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:07 AM   #2  
i luv my dog!

I have BOTH!
The Firm gives you a 30-day video rotation calendar to start out with and it is M-W-F. On the alternate days I do Winsor Pilates. With the Firm you will need some small dumbells, (too and the step and stick as well). I've only just started these programs a week ago so I can't report much in the results dept. but I think they are definitely making a difference. I am also trying to lose about 30 pounds (a little more if I'm lucky!)

Also, the price of the Firm Body Sculpting System 2 has gone down!! Last fall when I bought it it was 89.95 and now it is going for 59.95 (or close) - fully 1/3 cheaper than before. That includes three DVD's, the Fanny Lifter step, the sculpting stick, info book with calendar and a meal plan. I'm currently reading the book Firm for Life (from 1998 - I checked it out from the library) and it is very informative and motivational.
a broad abroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:54 AM   #3  

I just love the Firm! It has weight training, cardio and toning, all in one package. The Body Sculpting System 2 with the fanny lifter and the stick is a great way to go. Beware though, once you start firming, you will probably want to buy more Firm workouts!
yogamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:51 AM   #4  

I am really having second thoughts on Pilates......I can't afford to buy both right now, I am leaning towards the firm because I just feel like I''ll get the results I'm looking for faster. It would be nice to add pilates maybe in the winter when workouts get to be blah..thanks for the input...
Old 07-21-2004, 10:41 AM   #5  

TamraD, and other women here, would do well to read everything this woman has written here: http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

She's done a lot of research on what it takes to get in shape and stay that way, and she has compiled a ton of information on one site. Her main focus is lifting with free weights, and she is really trying to lift the taboos of women as weight lifters. She dispells the myths (i.e. you'll "bulk up" and look manly) and knocks down almost every false weight loss product on the market, including Pilates.

There is no such thing as "long, lean muslces" vs. "bulky" muscles, as the Pilates folks will try to sell you. You don't need to lift 2lb weights because you're a woman! If you want serious results, you need to do a serious workout.

I'm in a similar position, I need to lose about 40 of my 220lb. I've dropped 10 already, and the main exercises I'm using to do it are running, rollerblading, and weight lifting (with big ol' iron weights).

Mike

PS: Look at her before and after pictures to see the awesome results of weight lifting on a woman.
knave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:51 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Pilates is quite good because it works on strengthening your core muscles which you need for support. The thing with Pilates though is that once you learn it (and you can do it without using any props), you can do it quite easily on your own. What I would recommend if you want to do Pilates is rent a dvd/tape for a week at Blockbuster/Hollywood video/etc and then do it on your own afterwards.

As for The Firm, I think it is the best home workout available and you can make it as hard or as easy as you want. I first tried The Firm in 1991 and it kicked my butt then but it also helped me lose 40 lbs at the time. Since then, I slacked off, used it off and on and really found that at home workouts aren't for me. I was actually recently thinking about ordering The Firm again (I sold my tapes a couple years ago) because I am using my days at the gym for weight training and I wanted to incorporate some more cardio in my routine.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:01 PM   #7  
Head Princess

I have to disagree with Mike. I've been practicing Pilates (from a guild certified instructor, not just some schmo out there) for about a year and it has definitely changed my muscles and made them appear longer and leaner. Mari Winsor is guild certified and her videos are excellent.

There's no one exercise that will exclude everything else. We need variety and we need things that we'll enjoy so we stick with it. Personally, I hated the Firm. Not that it wasn't a good workout, but it just wasn't my style. The activities I've settled into include Pilates, free weights, walking, biking, rollerblading, and belly dancing.

What I think makes Pilates so important is that it focuses on internal muscles that most people don't use. Even incredibly athletic people tend to have a hard time when they first start because it's using muscles in a new way. When those deep muscles are strong, your external muscles as well as your whole structure is properly supported and everything else becomes easier.

Again, exercise is a completely personal thing. Find what works for you!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 05:07 PM   #8  

Wow!!!!Thanks for the info everyone...sounds like I can benefit from both, and the website quoted is awsome..mmmmmmmmmm, I may have to get both!
Old 07-21-2004, 05:09 PM   #9  

My only question though, is can you lose weight doing pilates? I do plan on still walking, but is pilates enough to make a dent in the weight loss I want...30 pounds?(with a proper diet of course)
Old 07-26-2004, 09:02 AM   #10  

I also have both and found them so different that it actually worked well together ...of course that is if I actually use them..I have a hard time with doing anything alone at home.....once I do I feel great it is just putting them in and getting started...we moved and I miss having a gym to go work out close by or on the way to work....anything that gets in the way for me becomes an excuse!.
KidzRN is offline   Reply With Quote