Old 07-20-2004, 04:55 PM   #1  

Default A neat NSV I wanted to share.

I just wanted to tell everyone about something wonderful that happened this weekend. I took my daughter to the park on Saturday, and instead of just watching, I played with her!! I swung on the swings, went down the slides, climbed on the jungle gym, I really played and it felt amazing! Next month will mark the two-year anniversary of starting this journey. At 320+ lbs. I couldn't have possibly played the way I did this weekend, so truthfully I never did. My daughter has missed out on having a mommy that could really get down and play with her for her entire life. But now that is no longer the case. After losing 180 lbs. this body is now able to move in ways it was always intended to, but never could before. I am finally free! When I first started trying to lose this weight I never fully realized the impact it would have on every aspect of my life. I’m realizing more and more just how much those extra pounds held me back, and how thankful I am that I finally did something about it. My daughter didn't even know how to react at first. Her mommy has never been able to play like that. But she quickly caught on that I could do almost anything that she could now and, of course, became wildly excited. She took me here and there, trying everything. We slid down the curly slide together and raced to see how high we could go on the swings. I never became winded, I never needed to sit and rest, I didn’t have to tell her that we were leaving early because my body was hurting or I was too hot. We stayed and played all afternoon and had a marvelous time. And later that night, after she had been safely tucked into bed with a happy, contented smile on her face, the full magnitude of what had just happened finally hit me like a ton of bricks. So I had a good cry then. I cried for all the times she and I had missed out on sharing such lovely days together. I cried for all the time I had wasted hiding behind my fat, and for all of the damage I have done to this body. But mostly, I cried for all the days still to come that we would not be missing, ever again.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:09 PM   #2  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Bev,

I am so happy for you ~ may you enjoy many more days playing with your daughter!!

Gayle
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:24 PM   #3  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

What a sweet NSV. Your daughter will remember that day forever.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:46 PM   #4  
Crazy Canuck

Hey missy watch out, if you keep telling us stories like that you're going to inspire and motivate us all to do wondrous things! Hmmm, could that possibly be the intention

By the way, if I haven't already told you, and I think I have, you're an awesome woman!!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:06 PM   #5  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

wow.. is that not the best! I couldn't think of a better reward for all your hard work. Thank You for sharing.

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:15 PM   #6  
2006 - Panda Remix

Oh what a wonderful post Beverly - thank you so much for sharing!

I don't think you realise what an inspiration you are - and it sounds like you yourself are still realising the enormity of what you have achieved.

As we say in the UK - nice one Bev!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:50 PM   #7  
Live for the Moment!

Bev,

What a beautiful story! I'm so happy for you... you have achieved great things and you deserve these splendid rewards!

You are truly an inspiration for us all...

Celina
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Beverly, what a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing it. I would have cried too! I am sure your daughter will remember it forever, too.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:24 PM   #9  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Talking ((((((((((Beverly))))))))))

Beverly I love that story!! It sounds like you're travelling differently through the world now in so many ways....you physicality, your psyche, and your mothering too! I'm in awe of your achievement, and just so very, very happy for your new life with your daughter -- and with yourself. You go, girl.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:34 PM   #10  
missaprylj

That is the best thing I've heard all day. Congratulations, your daughter is very, very, very lucky to have such a fantastic mother. I'm proud of you.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:43 AM   #11  

Beverly, Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I want so badly to get to the point you're at. For the longest time I belived that being heavy didnt limit me in any way but I was wrong. Wanting to slide down the tunnel slide with my boys but being scared that I might not fit, is limiting. Not wanting to go to my friends lake with my boys because the climb back up to her house makes me feel close to a heart attack, is limiting. Not wanting to run, play ball etc. is limiting. I have 2 very active boys and I am holding them back. For that I am sorry. But I work every day to change that for them (and for me) I am really looking forward to having many moments like you had with my boys.
Safora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:17 AM   #12  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

Bev, that is so awesome! That is so inspirational!
Raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:46 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations Beverly! I admire you SOOOO much. You are one of the greatest inspirations in my journey! Thanks for sharing. I am so happy for you!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:04 AM   #14  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

WOW!! You are amazing!!! Can't tell you how much that story hit home for me. Thank you so much for sharing.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

That is so great. I agree that you are such an inspiration. I too took my daughter to the park over the weekend. I didn't play on any of the equipment and I did get hot and winded coming back after spending a while there and it was a reminder to me that I still have a ways to go and I'm not about to give up now. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story and it is yet another reminder to me to not give up and I'll be there too before too long.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote