View Single Post
Old 02-14-2001, 02:36 AM   #14
Lenore

Here are a few gravy tips:

The classic gravy has equal parts of flour and fat. The idea is to separate the flour grains so that they don't clump when you add the liquid. You can actually make gravy with no fat by making a paste of flour and a small amount of cold water and then adding the extra liquid (usually stock) and heating it until it thickens. I think this is how the prepared gravies are made.

For more conventional gravy, I've gotten away with as little as a tsp of fat to a tbsp of flour. This reduces the calories & points quite a bit. Put them in a saucepan; the fat only needs to saturate the flour. If you are using very little fat, heat the mixture over low-medium heat, stirring it constantly until it smells a little toasted, but well short of when it is visibly brown. Then add the hot or cold liquid (de-fatted drippings, stock, milk, or other liquid). You'll need one cup liquid for each tablespoon of flour you used. Heat it, stirring constantly, until it boils or is thick enough. If it's too thick, add more liquid; too thin, make more flour paste, add it and heat again.

I hope this helps!