Old 07-10-2004, 08:35 AM   #1  
Abby's Mommy

Angry I Bought A Digital Scale Last Night.....

I bought this digital scale last night, brought it home, tried it out and nearly had a heartattack!! According to this new scale I was almost 10 pounds higher than I thought! So, I weighed again this AM, and was up only 4.5 pounds, so Ive adjusted my signiture. I feel like I really gained those pounds though. I was so sad to see 216.5 flashing up at me, but I weighed on my old dial type, and was at 212, so I know I really didnt.
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:11 AM   #2  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

You should be able to adjust the scales so it matches what your old one does. Check the instructions and see. Maybe try your doctors scale and go from there.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:38 AM   #3  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Aww, Amy Jo, I know EXACTLY how that feels! Well almost........I had been weighing myself at the doctor's office, and then I started weighing myself at home, and did that for a while before going back to the doctor's office to weigh there -- and when I did, I was like 8 pounds heavier than I'd thought! So when I got home, I just adjusted my home scale to match that of the doctor's office, adjusted my totals, and moved on. It was VERY disappointing, so I completely understand. Then later I got the digital body fat scale that I use now, compared my weight on it to the one at the doctor's office, and I'm good to go. Once you get over the disappointment and continue to see loss you'll forget about it, but it does suck when you're in it. Just remind yourself that you're doing great and keep on going!!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 12:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

My digital scale and my doctors office scale are always within 1 lb of each other, I'm lucky cuz I know if I were in that position I would be totally discouraged!! Hang in there

Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 02:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

awww, that is totally discouraging. I'm sorry
BUT.. it doesn't change teh amount of weight you've lost! You are still doing great.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 06:02 PM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I'm sorry that happened to you!!!

I "gained" 14# when I got on the scale at the doctor's, instead of the scale @ my friend's house. It galled me, but I started using medical scales only for my weigh-ins, that way there are no "surprises" at the doctor's office. Of course, now that my gym has closed, I have no other choice.

I really don't think you "gained" 4 and a half pounds, I wouldn't count it as a gain.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 08:24 PM   #7  
Abby's Mommy

I havnt been to the doctor in quite a while...can you just go in and ask them to weigh you? I'd like to know how accurate my scales are.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:57 PM   #8  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

My dr's were always very happy to accomodate me just walking in and asking to weigh myself. The one dr's nurse would just take me into an empty examining room and the dr I go to now has a scale out in the hallway in the back or I could go into an examining room. Just go in and say "I'm a patient of dr. whatshername and I'd like to use one of your scales to get an accurate reading if it isn't too much trouble". If you are nice and polite and go in at a time when it isn't their really, really busy time it probably won't be a big deal.

I also had the same problem when I bought a dig scale. I knew I was more than what my other scale was showing me and I didn't feel confident that it would be showing accurate losses or gains so I bought a good dig scale.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 11:46 AM   #9  
Born Loser

My doctor aways let me come in to wiegh. They were thrilled that I was trying to lose weight. I have been wondering if I will have this problem when I can start weighing at home. I know our scales match our doctors but I don't know how the ones at work are. I would imagine they are pretty acurate but not sure. I have 46 more to go before I can weigh at home. I can't wait.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Amy Jo... Hey, don't get down on yourself! Look at the bright side you know where you are and are now SURE of where you are going! I have total confidence that you will knock out those "extra" scale pounds.. Hey, its a motivating factor right? A kick in the pants? I dunno just trying to put my positive spin on it.. Not doing such a good job am I? Don't let it set you back! Youre doing a wonderful job... REALLY!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:39 PM   #11  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Don't focus on the scale numbers. Focus on how your clothes are fitting or how many inches you've lost.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 11:10 PM   #12  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

.......And on how much HEALTHIER you are since starting on February 16 to make all the positive changes you've made to get this far! When I have a disappointing scale moment, it helps me to remind myself of how much my health has improved since starting, and how much prouder I am of the decisions I make now......don't you just plain FEEL better?

Last edited by lessofsarahtolove; 07-11-2004 at 11:13 PM.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 11:36 PM   #13  
Abby's Mommy

Sarah, yes I do feel better! Thank you all for your encouragement! I really appreciate it! When I weigh in inthe AM, I'll just have to remind myself that the number doesnt reflect my overall health! Thank you all again! Im so glad I have you all to encourage me!

Also...I have a question thats a little sensitive. My DH is 36, 6'4", and probably weighs about 350ish (Im not sure, maybe more...his jeans are size 48 and are tight) I really want to encourage him to start watching his own weight, but all my efforts thus far havnt worked. I know it has to be something he wants for himself, but frankly, Im worried about him. He has chronic back and knee/leg pain, and is often very down on himself. Even when I fix a healthy dinner though, he'll alter it enough to make it "unhealthy". For example, if I steam broccoli (which he loves) He'll get out the Velveeta, and smother it in cheese. I cant keep him totally away from these types of food, b/c our family owns a grocery and he works there every day. Any way...my question is this...How do I help him to decide to start taking better care of himself, and maybe even loose some weight?
Thanks for listening.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:50 AM   #14  
Born Loser

Boy that is a tough question. I don't think you can make someone. As much as we love our spouses and want them to be healthy the more we push the less they want to do it. I think the only thing you can do is be an example. Maybe if he sees you're feeling better and happy about the way you look he will want the same. If you try to push him into it you will most likly succeed in the exact opposite. I hope he will see that he can have a much better life than what he does. He blessed to have a wife who cares enough to take care of herself and care about what happens to him.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:31 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

My husband scoffed at the changes I started making in the beginning. That "I ain't eating no tofu mentality." My husband loves a challenge and when I started I challenged him to not drink regular pop for 2 weeks. Sure enough he lost like 8 pounds in two weeks just by giving up his mountain dew. Now for the most part he does drink diet pop but he will have the occassional mt. dew (he can't stand the diet or I'm sure he would've switched to just it). As for food he now rinses the hamburger meat when cooking it and a few other changes. I just slowly change things out.
To get him to exercise, tell him you need to talk to him and go for a walk and just talk about life or whatever. Make it 10 minutes or so.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote