South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 10:44 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Kashi

Some of have asked what Kashi is --
Its a cereal manufacturer. My personal favorite is GoLean.
Does this sound like a heathy carb?
Here is the nutrition info:
Serving size - 1 cup
Calories 140 Calories from Fat 10
Total fat 1 g Saturated fat - 0 Trans fat - 0 Cholesterol -0
Sodium - 85 g
Potassium 480 mg
Total carbohydrates - 30 g
Dietary fiber 10 g
Soluble fiber 1 g
Insoluble fiber 9 g
Sugar - 6g
Protein 13 g
Ingredients: Whole Grains - Hard Red Winter Wheat, Long Grain Brown Rice, Whole Grain Oats, Barley, Triticale, Rye, Buckwheat, sesame seads, Evaporated cane syrup, Corn Meal, Corn flour, Soy protein, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Corn Bran, Honey, Evaporated Cane Juide, Natural Flavors, Calcoum Carbonate.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:35 AM   #2  
Traci

Looks like it has a ton of fiber in it and whole grains for sure, but I don't think the honey and the evaporated cane stuff is reallly on-plan. That's not to say it's not technically a "good carb". I'd be interested to see what others think.

If it were me (I'm on Phase II) and it was something I really loved and couldn't give up totally I'd limit it to once or twice a week as a special treat.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:04 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

I agree with Traci. It sounds really good... too bad about the sugars, although they are far down on the list. (not like sugar-puffs or something where sugar is second on the list. )

What if you had a 1/2 a cup and added some yogurt and berries... ?
Old 06-30-2004, 10:37 AM   #4  
Faith in me

that sounds like it tastes a lot better than the cereal I had this morning. I had fiber all. It didn't taste very good. I did put some splenda on it which made it a little better, but it was mushy.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:47 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 7"

I contacted Kashi Customer Relations to see if they had any ideas. Here is what they said:
Per your inquiry, there are 6 grams of sugar per serving of GOLEAN cereal.
As for any of our cereals without sugar, our Puffed Kashi is sugar free.

When I add carbs back in, this cereal is the first thing I'm adding. I'm going to try 1/2 serving of the GoLean, and 1/2 of the Puffed Kashi. That should be less sugar than the milk (lactose, you know). If I get cravings, I'll dial back.
My local grocer carries most Kashi too, and whenever I see someone reading all the labels with a confused look on their faces, I ask if I can help!

Sue
278/274/160
SW/CW/GW
Old 06-30-2004, 11:36 AM   #6  
Faith in me

I just remembered it wasn't fiber all ha ha it was all bran - silly me
Old 06-30-2004, 11:47 AM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I've been buying [that is, when Iw as on Phase 2] All-Bran and the Special K low carb. I don't care for milk all that much so I just put enough in to wet it, but I do add berries to it and splenda and it's YUMMY.

Hopefully I get back down to my lowest by Sunday and can start off Monday with a bowl of cereal!

Where's that cravings thread again?????? :LOL:
Old 06-30-2004, 12:09 PM   #8  

Ewww, the Special K low carb tasted so nasty that I couldn't even eat the whole bowl even tho I wanted cereal. Yuck.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:39 PM   #9  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Really Wendy?

I am not a cereal fan at all, but loved it sweetened with the berries and Splenda. Did you eat it plain?
Old 06-30-2004, 03:25 PM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

The grains are all fine. However, the sugar is too high. I don't have the info with me right now, but check the sugars on cereals listed in the GFGCG and compare. Evaporated cane juice is basically just sugar...it's just not bleached...more organic friendly, but does not change how it affects your system.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:50 AM   #11  

I used to eat the "Good Friends" cereal from Kashi. A bit cardbaord-y tasting at first , but I got used to it. Then I checked the carbs and almost died I think it was 40 something! It is high in fiber, but even subtracting that it was still outragiously high in carbs.
Puffed Kashi is not bad. I have eaten that dry as I am lactose intollerant. I have tried the new Low Carb Special K and that was tasty. I preferred it over the Atkins cereals. They were too sweet.
Closed Thread