South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 04:30 PM   #1  

Default Chocolate Induced Migraine?

Ladies I think I am too weak to do this diet. I started out this morning very badly when I discovered that I gained 2 pounds, how I don't know as I denied myself every craving. Here I am starting over Phase I again, on week 2 and I cheat. Big Time.

I baked all weekend for others and finally gave in to a huge slice of one of my cakes today for a co-workers birthday. Now I am left with a tummy ache, migraine, and guilt.

I can't believe I can't even make it two lousy weeks- I've denied myself all kinds of goodies but I succumb to drinks at a bar last time and cake now? Is there no hope for me? Do I start Phase I over again or continue from here? So would that mean 5 weeks at Phase I...I don't think I can do it.

Very depressed and headed to the gym to become even more depressed.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:36 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

VT, I am so sorry that this has been so tough for you.

I don't mean to get all Freud here, but what is the real reason you are sabotaging Phase 1? Are you afraid to get to Phase 2? Do you reall *want* to lose this weight if giving up your favorite foods is the requirement? I've found that no diet worked until I was truly willing to work it. I'm there now, but have never been there before, and I sabotaged every single diet.

If you aren't ready for this, then maybe you do your best amidst the cheats and either work alone or with a counselor or a support group, like OA, to find out why you are cheating in spite of your obvious will power. I am sure you can do this...you are choosing not to. The question, I guess, is why. And you know that we are all here for you, because we have been there (cheating, sick and frustrated) in the past, are often there now, and will be there in the future!

Look...you're only 11.4 pounds away from goal. Perhaps you do Phase 2 and just see what happens? Maybe you make some things that you love in an SBD safe way and try them to see if that helps? With so few pounds left, I think you can "power" through this problem, if you really want to.

Just my "uncertified" opinion.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:41 PM   #3  

First, yeah, chocolate can trigger migraines in some people. Other common triggers are red wine and cheese, among other things.

Second, I'm not a South-Beacher or a low-carber, so you may not want to hear this from me. But, these programs require that you do the first portion perfectly, no mistakes, else you have to start over. If that is giving you trouble, then perhaps this type of plan isn't for you. I'm not plugging any one type of plan over any other, but perhaps you'd be more successful with a program that allows a broader variety of foods.

I agree that understanding WHY you go off of any program is crucial to understanding what to do to fix it. But, if you are gorging on "forbidden" food because it's absolutely unquestionably forbidden, maybe a program that allows anything in moderation might work better. Not to say any sensible program would encourage you to eat chocolate cake every day, but knowing that you can work in a small treat of any type of food -- even alcohol -- on rare occassions might help you stop binging. The two plans that come to mind are Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig (which I am on, and I've lost over 140 pounds and am still going strong). In both of these programs, no single food or food category is off limits, but you are encouraged to eat good fats, lean meats, etc. Just a thought.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:47 AM   #4  
cac

Emotional eating sucks. It is hard to figure out when it is going to happen and even harder to figure out why. Someone last week on the board suggested I write down when I want to cheat and when I do cheat. The act of writing this down has helped me not to cheat and helped me understand.

Also, remember the purpose of the first two weeks is to change your blood chemistry. I keep that in mind as I am redoing Phase 1.

cac
Old 06-22-2004, 08:32 AM   #5  

Thank you all, feeling a bit better today and have decided to continue on with week two of phase I, then next week i shall start phase II.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:25 AM   #6  

Just hang in there and don't beat yourself up over it - it's depressing but it's not the end of the world.

I'm also from Alexandria, and there are quite a few Northern Virginians on this board - lets all work together and make Virginia a "lighter" state, lol
Old 06-22-2004, 12:51 PM   #7  

Really don't get it. I weighed myself yesterday morning, pre cake incident and was at 163. This afternoon- 161.4. I don't understand- maybe my scale knew I had a bad day yesterday and took pity on me today.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:38 PM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

VTprop...just goes to show that scales are sadistic!

Seriously, good for you!
Old 06-22-2004, 05:08 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTprop
Really don't get it. I weighed myself yesterday morning, pre cake incident and was at 163. This afternoon- 161.4. I don't understand- maybe my scale knew I had a bad day yesterday and took pity on me today.
VT... don't forget, the scale doesn't tell you on Tuesday what you ate on Monday. It takes a few days before you'll see a gain or loss on the scale-- that's why you typically don't see much loss in the first three or four days of SBD. It doesn't happen instantly.

So, IF the cake is going to show up (and it may not -- especially if you did go to the gym afterwards and burned it off), it'll be a few days. But it may not affect you at all, and if that's the case, you're a lucky gal! The only thing that may happen is that you may not lose as much this week. But one piece of cake won't make you gain back 5 lbs.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:46 AM   #10  

Hurrah, made it through a wedding cake that I made without a slice. As a reward I snagged as raspbery garnish. I have a doctor's appointment today which I am sure I'll be weighed- wish me luck. Thanks ya'll!
Old 06-24-2004, 01:33 PM   #11  

Height: 5'-2"

VTprop, let us know how it goes!! You're doing great!!
Closed Thread