Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-21-2004, 05:02 PM   #1  

Default Owwy

Hi all, I dont know what is wrong with me. I have been running for 4 months now ( As part of my diet, I havnt stopped 1 single day...) and for the past month I notice ocasion pains in my knee, it goes away after like a 5 minute warm up or so. Sometimes i feel it while walking around..... Does anyone know what is wrong? I dont want to be 50 and not be able to walk! haha
koku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I have not a clue as to what could be causing your pain, you may want to take a trip to the doctor and see what they have to say I hope its nothing serious.
Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:53 AM   #3  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

How old are your shoes? Running experts advise getting new shoes every three months or so, depending on how often you run, the surface, how hard you are running, etc. It sounds like you may be pounding your knees a bit. If you have fairly new, comfortable shoes, then what type of surface are you running on? Pavement, an old treadmill....

And if you are running every day, that is too much. You need to alternate with something else. A brisk walk, an elliptical, swimming...

I LOVE to run!!! It's worth taking care of ourselves so we can keep running!
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:44 AM   #4  
Mel

Have to agree with Tig, here: you need a REST day! and on the shoes as well. Make sure that you are wearing the proper shoe for your foot and gait by having a pair fitted at a real running store. Don't just grab the newest or cheapest pair of Nike's at Sports Authority. Everyone's foot and gait are different and the correct shoe makes all the difference in the world between a comfortable run and potential lifelong problems. I noticed from another post that you've been losing weight. Congratulations! Weightloss also affects the size of your feet and it usually makes your knees feel better, but if the shoes are now old or don't fit right, they could be causing the problems. I know it gets expensive, but if you are running a lot on hard surfaces, you need to replace your running shoes frequently.

Hope that helps. Take a rest day or two. Your body needs it

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:52 AM   #5  

Hi My knees can hurt too sometime. I find that devilsclaw vream at night helps. I find that thye grind too. I have to take days off. If youlike the out side get on your bike too.
The shoes try to find a place like the running room or a speciality store. The will look at your old shoes and can tell a lot from them. Some of the places will watch you and give you advice in what can help.
If there are any running groups check them out and they may be albe to help you. I have ran with a guy that ran the Boston marathon this past year. These people can be a great insperation to keep you going and help with the training that may help you too.
I hope that this can help you
Tanya
2cutekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:45 PM   #6  

Ahh thanks for the advices. I actually recently ( couple days ago ) got the Nike Shox shoes. And I am running on the street / pavement ( the city i live in has a great trail that goes long ways. I just run on that.) Now that I am lifting I will incorporate some rest time. I woke up today and got on scale after lifting for 2 weeks, and I lost some weight????? Should I stop running? Lol I want to bulk up!
Old 06-22-2004, 08:40 PM   #7  

I would do both. I have been getting good results from that. The cardoi and strength will get you far. How much do you need to lose?
Tanya
Old 06-22-2004, 08:55 PM   #8  
Mel

If you want to bulk, stop doing long runs and do short high intensity intervals maybe twice a week just for cardio health. Make sure you are getting enough protein and complex carbs. The rule of thumb for building mass is 1.25-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight, or lean body mass, if you know what it is (you can get it tested at a gym.) Keep your reps in the 6-10 range for mass building, and lift to failure. 4-5 sets per exercise. BUT, I think I remember you posted somewhere that you are 16 yrs. old, so you shouldn't be lifting to failure on any exercise that compresses joints. You are still growing and until you're around 21-22, the ends of your joints haven't fused completely (you're still growing, in other words). Don't sacrifice longterm health or height for lifting too heavy at this point. Stay away from really heavy squats, leg presses and deadlifts, and concentrate on body weight exercises like pull-ups, push-ups, dips. Go to town on your arms.

Good luck. Wish I needed to bulk!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:38 PM   #9  

Thank you all so much for the info! I actually have an idea of what I should do now! haha! Meliris - Does this sound good? When you said only cardio twice a week my heart just burst into tears! I will love only having to do cardio twice a week! Lol.

Monday:
Chest / Shoulder / Tri's
Tuesday:
Cardio
Wednsday:
Back / Bicep's / Traps
Thursday:
Cardio
Friday:
Legs
Saturday:
Cardio again?
Sunday:
Rest???

Does that sound right ? Again thank you so much for all the info.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:11 PM   #10  
Mel

Sounds good to me. Throw a little ab work in there somewhere so you will have a nice six pack, too. Don't forget the rest, extra protein, and NO spine or knee compression

Mel
Old 06-23-2004, 04:52 PM   #11  

Thanks a ton! By the end of the day - My stomach is sooo much bigger, then it is small again in the morning, does anyone else gets this?
Old 06-24-2004, 11:35 AM   #12  

Yes I have the same thing. I also find my legs get that way too. For me I think that it is water. I drink a lot of water.
I am not sure what to do to change that.
Tanya