South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 12:32 PM   #1  
I graduated!

Default Confused about Phase II

We were reading over phase two, we decided to put off starting it until today...

From what I've read so far it seem that you're only supposed to have fruit ONCE a day, it also says that the good doctor dosen't recommend that you have your first fruit at breakfast... and then I look at the "menu" for day one and it's got you eating fruit 3 times that day... starting with breakfast!

I'm totally confused.

Can anyone clear this up?

Thanks...
Old 06-19-2004, 01:21 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDflower
From what I've read so far it seem that you're only supposed to have fruit ONCE a day, it also says that the good doctor dosen't recommend that you have your first fruit at breakfast... and then I look at the "menu" for day one and it's got you eating fruit 3 times that day... starting with breakfast!
I'm not on Ph2 yet, but the girls here have posted quite a bit about this.

What they have all recommended, based on their experience, is to start slowly. For instance, on your first day on Ph2, just add one starch and no fruit. Do that for a couple of days. Then add a piece of fruit to one meal. Give it a couple of days. And, during that time, monitor your weight loss. If you continue to lose, then keep adding. As soon as you stop -- STOP adding and scale it back.

You should be able to keep losing while adding the carbs, that's the point here. But remember, your hubby may be able to add a starch and a fruit to EVERY meal and keep losing, while you can only add one starch per day and that's it. It's different for every single person. So don't assume that, because it's working for him, it will work for you.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:40 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Dead on, Kim! One thing we don't realize is that Dr. A did NOT write the menu plans or the recipes. It seems to me that some dietician with a carb mindset had that job!
Just be sure to add carbs - whether fruit or starch - slowly if you want ongoing weightloss. A pound a week on Phase II is a decent loss.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:28 PM   #4  

In the book Dr A says to avoid fruit first thing in the morning because your blood sugar levels are really low, have oatmeal instead. Several dieticians have recommended avoiding carbs after lunch and definately after 4pm so I would suggest having fruit for morning tea or lunch.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:16 AM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

ADD, I found that tremendously confusing, too, so you are not alone! Ruth's comment that the dietician wrote the menu plans helped me understand more. So I just ignore the menu plans and stick to the guidelines, which I figure will help me in Phase 3.

I have found that fruit in the morning and starch in the morning both make me crave all day. So I do not have either, most days. I do, sometimes have fruit for my morning snack, and that doesn't seem to start things off. I also sometimes have a smoothie with fruit in it for breakfast, and for some reason, that doesn't get me going much, either. However, cereal and oatmeal totally do, sadly. I love them, but I know that the results aren't good.

I'm sure you will do great on Phase 2 and love it. It's definitely freeing, and I'm losing at least 2.5 lbs a week on it! It's a good thing.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:49 AM   #6  
I graduated!

Thanks everyone that posted responses... I had fruit yesterday night and found it just made me hungrier ...but I resisted and didn't eat anything, which was easier because it was late.

I guess I'm just gonna have to watch it like Laurie... and BUY THAT DAMN SCALE
Closed Thread