South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 04:02 PM   #1  

Default newbie question

Hi, I am a nubie and have been on the SBD for three & 1/2 weeks. I am sticking with Phase 1 because I have a bunch to lose.

I have a question if anyone is listening: I have heard & read that once you get "into" this diet you are to have SO MUCH energy. I am tired all the time. What's up? It's just like anyother diet I have tried. When I get home I am wiped out.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:08 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You are still wiped out because you are still on Phase I. You should be on phase II by now no matter how much you have to lose. You will have more energy as you add more good carbs. (This should have been a standalone question, by the way. It could easily get missed in the middle of a long thread.) Check out Fat Chicks On The Beach to see what others say.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:17 PM   #3  

Default Sorry for the intrusion

Sorry I just don't know where to go. Just joined yesterday.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:33 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

You may not be eating enough. Or the right things, anyhow.
Are you doing any exercise? That can be a real energy boost...

Welcome to the Beach!
Old 06-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #5  

Default Exercise little

I run around my office (in heels) all day but after a hour sitting in traffic I have not been able to get exercise going.

I just keep hearing about all this ENERGY I am supposed to have on South Beach and is "ain'ty happin'"
Old 06-16-2004, 04:40 PM   #6  
Hittin' the Beach

S/C/G: 225/212/130

Height: 5'0"

Like Ruth said, you won't get the energy until you move to phase 2. Even for extremely overweight people, Dr. A states you should not stay on it longer than 4 weeks, and you are coming up on that. I would move on to phase 2. You will still lose, if that is your worry. And if you stay on phase 1 for too long, your body might become too sensitive to add back any carbs, and you don't want that. Good luck
Old 06-16-2004, 04:51 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Short One, glad to find your post!

Are you drinking a lot of water? Carry a fashionable water bottle around with you as you trot in the high heels and drink, drink, drink! (of course this leads to running to the ladies' room in high heels, but that will slow down with time). One of the major symptoms of dehydration is being tired!

Personally, I got a lot of energy at the end of phase 1, but maybe that was weird? If you are eating a lot of protein and meat, but little veggies, I can see how that would slow you down a bit. As for the exercise, what about relaxing at home a bit after that car ride, then doing a fun exercise video, like belly dancing! I'm waiting for my videos to come in the mail, then I'll be trying it. Many others on these forums do belly dancing and can give you lots of tips. Could you get out for a walk at lunch? Maybe take a buddy with you so you can chat? Barring all else, try to get lots of exercise on the weekends...go on hikes, bike ride, go on long walks, play an organized sport, etc.

Exercise used to make me really tired, but now it really energizes me!

I wish you lots of !
Old 06-16-2004, 05:08 PM   #8  

I've also started taking a multivitamin daily which is something I could never remember to do before. I believe Dr A recommends it and I know I was often a little bit anemic before. That said, my energy really came back when I started Phase 2. I threw Sister Act on the tape player last night while I was walking and I was amazed at how much faster I could walk when they were singing! Good luck and hang in there! Oh, I didn't lose very much during Phase 1 (4 pounds) but I have actually been losing at almost the same rate during Phase 2. I just really watch the portion size on any WW pasta, rice or tortillas I eat.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:46 PM   #9  

Speaking of vitamins, I used to take a centrum chewable (slight near choking incident has freaked me out), folic acid pill, and calcium chew. I noted that centrum and calcium chews have alot of sugar in them. Are they allowed on Phase I? Additionally most fiber supplements have a ton of sugar...advice?
Old 06-16-2004, 06:03 PM   #10  

I was really tired for the first few days but then got lots more energy by the end of the first week and felt great by the end of week 2. This could be due to the massive amount of vegies I ate, increased water consumption, or extra exercise. I don't know if it is necessarily the lack of carbs although cutting out starches made my energy levels stable through the day (no more slumps after lunch).

Are you eating your snacks? You need to exercise and drink plenty of water for this to work. If you want to stay on phase one longer it would pay to add in some good carbs such as beans and nuts or even root vegetables like carrots and some fruit. These are technically phase two but many of us do our own version of a phase 1.5 to lose a little faster at the start.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:20 PM   #11  

definatly move on to phase 2 girl. The only thin that phase 1 is going to do for you is cleanse your system out. Anice fresh piece of fruit or a hot bowl of oats may be what your body is dying for right now. I recomend starting with one fruit and one bread a day for the first week and see what happens and then add one more at atime each week. I have over 100 to loose and i have lost 30 so far and i moved on to phase 2 after 3 weks so you will be fine. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2004, 06:24 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

VTProp, try Metamucil, which is sugar free, Dr. A recommended and really works! I actually take the capsules, because I haven't found something to put the powder in that works. (It turned my V-8 into V-8 Jell-o jiggler...yuck!)

As for vits, I am a strong proponent of taking each individually. Multi vitamins barely give you the daily allowance, which is actually much lower than what you should be getting. For instance, check the daily allowance on folic acid...I think it is 200 or 400. My OB/GYN says a woman of child bearing age should be getting 1000 a day! (this is mg, I think...can't remember). You can get calcium pills that have no sugar in them. Try Good Earth brand or Vitamin World (http://www.greatearthvitamins.com/ or www.vitaminworld.com).

Interesting idea about anemia, Barb...that might be your problem, Short One. I know I have it...my doctor has me on a high dose of iron pills to try to counteract it. Worth asking your doctor if things don't improve with all these other suggestions.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:08 AM   #13  

Default Thanks to all

I do drink LOTS of water. I have an hour drive to and from work and drink a 1 liter bottle (old diet coke bottle) each way then several glasses of water at my desk.

I have tried to remember to take the multi vitamin and I do the sugar free fiber. Guess I'll look into getting specific vitamins you guys noted.

Trying to move on to 1.5 phase. Have added Light soy fortified with folic acid & calcium and also Carb Control yogurt. I had been snacking on the ham & cheese rollups but am going back to the cheese sticks.

Guess I will just have to force myself to get moving and maybe the energy will come.

Thanks to all for your help
Old 06-17-2004, 09:18 AM   #14  

Hey chick on the beach, I didn't know carrots were in Phase II. Can we have them in II?
Closed Thread