South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 11:20 AM   #1  

Default I am drowning....Help..

O.k here i am again.I am feeling awful.The past 2 months i have lost 12 pounds.But the past 3 weeks have not been watching what i eat nor working out.And am feeling like i gained it all back.Why is it so hard to stay motivated and stay consistint?I am now starting phase 1 today and hope to be succesful.If anyone has some comforting words i would really appreciate them right now.I feel i have been emotionally eating and feel totally out of control...I am really depressed right now and need you girls for stregth and motivation.Thank you for listining.Amber :
Old 06-15-2004, 11:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Amber- You have to just Make yourself follow the plan, thats what I do when I feel a binge coming on, I just say "hey michelle pull your head out of your butt and open your eyes, either you eat healthy or you lead a short unhealthy life." That usually snaps me out of it! Hang in there!

Michelle
Old 06-15-2004, 11:31 AM   #3  

Wink Your not alone ...

I seem to be having the same problem that you are.. Motivation.. I just keep comming here reading and trying to get inspired.. it works.. for the most part.. but Its something inside yourself that has to motivate you... Im still searching for it .... Just know your not alone here.. othere people are going thru or have gone thru this just like you .. chin up !! and be strong !! Noel
Old 06-15-2004, 11:38 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, Amber!

I am so sorry that you have been struggling with the diet. I understand your pain. Did you make it through Phase 1 the first time? I found that making it through Phase 1 makes me feel like I don't want to cheat and find myself back there again! It keeps me from cheating. Are you trying to find other things to do to deal with your emotions besides eating? I've put in a system of rewards for myself (a charm bracelet--I play with the charms when I am bored or stressed, the sound of them helps remind me why I am doing this, and the charms themselves are of things I want to do when I am thin and what is helping me through this journey) that has a lot of other functions and is helping. My DH and coworkers know that I'm on the diet, and they are supportive and help me stay OP. I have given away most of the non OP food in the house with the exception of ingredients like sugar and flour and mixes that I figure I might use to make goodies to give to others, so I have very few, if any, temptations in the house. These things have helped me be successful.

I have to admit that emotional eating is a big problem for me too. I haven't really found a great way to deal with it, but I'm taking it one day at a time. I am trying to get my emotions out in other ways. Have you tried journaling? Calling a friend? Painting or singing to music? Going for a long walk? Immersing yourself in a good book? What things do you enjoy that don't have to do with food? Find ways to do them! And find foods on the diet that you like. Check out the recipes in the forum and check out www.cookinglight.com and other recipes sites on the web like www.allrecipes.com. You can do this, Amber...and we're here to help and support, okay? I will keep you in my prayers. Keep us posted on how you are doing. And remember Ruth's quote...you've only failed if you don't get up again. You're getting up and so you are a success!
Old 06-15-2004, 09:37 PM   #5  
I graduated!

Hi Amber to you for coming in and saying hello.

We've all been there at one time or another. I agree with beachgal... although this is my first time doing SBD... and I'm lucky enough to have my DH doing it with me... I've found that every day that I'm on plan makes me want to stay on plan so I will not have wasted my time.

I also am going to take rock climbing to meet my gym requirement for graduation this December (classes start in August) so the thought of starting school a bit thinner and having things go positive and maybe have a nice new outfit at graduation... all give me tangible goals.

I find that imagining myself going through all the steps to get where I want to be really helps me keep working toward my goals. When I would only think about how far away I am from where I want to be it's easy to give up.

I haven't posted weights yet because I still don't have a scale that works

I've got about a 100 pounds to go anyway... so I'm not that worried about it right now... I'm just focused on staying on plan and eating right. I know that everything else will follow.

We here for you!

Lovingly,
Old 06-16-2004, 03:44 AM   #6  

It can be hard to stay motivated especially if you have a lot of weight to lose so will be dieting for a long time. I find that I have to stick to the plan if I want to lose weight. I can go off plan for awhile and not regain anything which is a good thing but I tend to eat when bored or filling in time and am working at home atm so this is really tough cause the fridge is right there.

Here are some things that I do.

Participate in some of the challenges on this board. You will stay on plan if you realise that you are posting each day or week. It is also reassuring getting feedback.

Exercise no matter what! It pays to have a flexible workout plan. For example I do aqua aerobics up to three times a week because it doesn't matter if it rains or how cold it gets (nice warm pool). I walk most days but if the weather is terrible I can skip. I also have a resistance program at the gym so I can do that if it is too wet to walk.

Get rid of 'bad foods'. I buy enough bread for my daughters lunches and make up sandwhiches, wrap them and freeze them instantly so there is not bread lying around. I don't have biscuts, chips or anything tempting in the house when I am going through a weak patch.

Get some diet sodas and herbal teas so that if you have to have something sweet you won't totally blow it.

Get some really yummy on plan foods so you will look forward to meal times (but not too much).

Buy some tightish but cool looking jeans and try them on every week until they fit properly. The exercise will help with this even if you don't lose pounds.

Exercise with a buddy.

I hope you start to feel more positive about things soon. You have done really well to lose 12 pounds already. Remember you are making a lifestyle change so don't expect too much too soon.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:31 AM   #7  

Thank you all so much for your support.I have made it through Phase 1,Day 1 ,Successfully.I even went to a party last night to watch the Pistons play for I am in Detriot and did not eat the snacks nor drank the beer.I feel better emotionally today.How do i get in to the challenges on here that i would post everyday?
Old 06-16-2004, 12:22 PM   #8  
I can do this!

Congratulations, Newbee 4!!! That self-control is marvelous! Don't you feel so powerful?

To join a challenge, just post the weight you intend to lose or the exercise you plan to do in the thread of a challenge. Right now in this forum there is a June exercise challenge and a June weight loss challenge. You can join in for both, just be reasonable about the amount...since there are only about two weeks left in June.

I love the idea about the jeans, Chick! I am craving one of those adorable flirty skirts at the Gap, but they only go up to size 16...I am probably a 24/22 at this point. I would love to give myself permission to buy one and keep trying it on to see if I fit...I wonder if I should get one in a 14 or 12 instead so it'll be at my true goal weight? Hmmm...
Old 06-16-2004, 02:01 PM   #9  
I found my hipbones!

Amber--

Looks like things are already starting to look up for you! I'm glad.

For motivation's sake, I keep a running list (saved on my hard drive) of reasons why I want to lose weight, and I add to it when something else occurs to me, or when someone notices the pounds coming off. It sounds silly, but I even date the entries so that I can kinda gauge where I was in the process when whatever it was happened. When I stall on the weight loss or am feeling a loss of willpower, I open that file and read, and it usually gives me what I need to keep staying on plan.

I think it just helps me to have those all in one place so that when I hit an emotional low, I can counter it with remembering the highs.

Cheers!
Monica
Old 06-16-2004, 02:11 PM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good sound advice. What it comes down to is self-control. Just keep saying "I can and will do this!" Giving support to others also helps.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:53 PM   #11  
I can do this!

Fuzzy, that is a great idea! :

I also started an Excel document on my computer that lists my weight and my minutes of exercise. At the bottom of the graph I placed a picture of a baby, as it is my goal to lose weight so we can become pregnant (healthily!). It's a great motivator!

Ruth, you definitely have the right idea. The truth is that when it comes down to it, we have to really want to lose the weight more than we want to satisfy our urges to eat. More than our need to please others and not stick out in a group. More than our need to be comforted by food. We need to have enough energy and motivation to make some serious changes in our life. We have to convince ourselves to like things that we hated before, like vegetables and exercise. It's not easy. In truth, if it was, it wouldn't really be worth it. At least, that's how I feel. I usually hate vegetables, but I am learning to like ones I barely looked at before and pinching my nose and eating the ones I still hate. I don't always get them all down, but I am learning. I'm exercising more and making myself learn to like it. I'm looking at different exercise options, like Jazzercise and belly dancing to see if they might be more fun than constant plodding at the gym. I'm learning to rejoice in the sweat and hard work at the weight machines rather than at the pile of food waiting for me at home. And in the meantime, I'm learning that I am a person I can respect. Someone who is standing up for herself and making important changes that I hope will last for life.

Okay, off the and back to fun...
Old 06-16-2004, 04:32 PM   #12  

I am new too and trying SBD. Just wanted to say that you guys are great. Even though you were answering to encourage Amber I'm sure we all got some great ideas.

I posted to a wrong thread and got in "trouble" so just stumbled in here. Thanks for the encouraging words.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #13  

Height: 5'-2"

Short One, you weren't trouble at all. Ruth just wanted your question to stand out... most people wouldn't see your post in that thread... I've moved it to make it more visable.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:43 PM   #14  
I can do this!

Ah, Short One, join the club of stumblers! Isn't it fun being a newbie?

You are welcome, and I am looking forward to reading your now prominant post!
Old 06-16-2004, 06:16 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal
I love the idea about the jeans, Chick! I am craving one of those adorable flirty skirts at the Gap, but they only go up to size 16...I am probably a 24/22 at this point. I would love to give myself permission to buy one and keep trying it on to see if I fit...I wonder if I should get one in a 14 or 12 instead so it'll be at my true goal weight? Hmmm...
Best to set a short term goal. I have bought one or two things that I could fit but only just then watched myself slim into them.
Closed Thread