Old 06-13-2004, 08:44 PM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default Old Threads... this is cool

I was looking through really old threads tonight... Man, I've been here a long time!

It's fun to look through some old threads...

here is just one....

does anyone want to continue on this thread?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18408
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 10:30 PM   #2  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbar
does anyone want to continue on this thread?

I love it! Start it up again, girlfriend -- I can't wait to chime in!

Great idea, three cheers for positive reinforcement.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 11:34 PM   #3  

Default great idea

hi,

i agree with sarah this is a great idea.
if you want to start i will definitely post too

gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:57 AM   #4  
Gonna fly now!

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'6

Cool! Yes, let's definitely start it up again! Great idea!
irishwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 07:42 AM   #5  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

Well okay then: This list was written almost 2 years ago.. some things are still in place

Lots of ups and downs of this jounery, eh?

Sometimes we are so tough on our selves. What habits have you changed? I bet we can all say atleast 10!!

1/ stopped drinking regular soda

2/ no longer putting butter on my toast WITH the peanut butter - I swear I used to make a 10 point pb sandwich

3/ I eat at least 1 fruit/veggie every day. Most day I eat 3-5.

4/ I drink water - never did that!

5/ I'm learning to put myself first. My ww meetings have become a priority.
I need to start doing this again

6/ I eat egg whites

7/ I no longer sit in front of the tv and eat chips from the bag - and finish the bag.
(I still eat chips - I now measure them!)

8/ I am starting to enjoy clothes shopping It's been over a year since I felt this way

9/ I want to have SEX again what's sex?

10/ I write down everything I eat - even when I cheat

11/ I no longer add butter to boxed suppers that call for it. ie. kraft dinner, stuffing etc.

We have all made changes .. what positive things have you done?
Old 06-14-2004, 08:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

1. No Regular Soda

2. Keep track of all foods that I eat

3. Exericise!

4. Feel Guilty if I eat bad

5. Am more conscious of what foods contain (Calories, fat etc)

6. AM HAPPY and Less Stressed

7. No Butter, I only use I can't believe its not butter spray

8. Switched from Vitam D Milk to Fat Free A & D

9. Haven't had Taco Bell since I started my journey

10. Never wanted something so bad in my life
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:31 AM   #7  

Good idea, Dana. Interesting to read my own words. And to note that for the most part those changes have stayed - well, I do note the lite ice cream/frozen yogurt thing has some times been a bit more. And I'm not getting my hair done. Other things have fluctuated but are still in working condition. At the point of the original thread, I had only been working at this 1or2 months. Now it's 2 yrs. And time for more changes. I had lost about 40 lbs the first year and only about 6 the second. However, lots of other things going on that make me grateful I didn't gain.

So I guess that's the most important change - I've learned (pretty much) not to "medicate" pain with food. Still not very good at all about keeping "social" eating under control.

So I'll be thinking today about which change to tackle next. (And I think of you everytime I see my jar of key lime jelly waiting to be opened.)

Looking forward to reading more lists. Maybe I'll get some good ideas.
anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:57 AM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

did you say key lime jelly : I am a lime freak!!
Old 06-14-2004, 11:27 AM   #9  
Crazy Canuck

Some of those old threads are great (anyone remember the one that had a link to the disgusting [albeit hilarious] Weight Watcher recipe cards from the 70s??)

I wonder where so many of the people from those old threads have gone. If they've disappeared because they lost all the weight and have moved to different sites, then great (although it would be nice to hear from them again and get updates on how life has changed), but if we don't see them anymore because they gave up...that would be sad. I've seen it so often at my weight-loss group - you have people all gung ho about losing weight and then they hit a plateau or don't reach goal as quickly as they want and poof...they're gone. If you're out there lurking, let's hear from some of you "oldies"!! Dana, you're not an oldie, just a goodie

Hmmm...some changes over the past 2 years...

1. journalled religiously for the first 18 months (have to get back into that)
2. only caffeine-free, diet pop (I prefer the taste)
2. consume tonnes of veggies
3. probably walked across Canada and back
4. only whole-wheat or 12 grain bread
5. very conscious of empty calorie, high-carb and fat-laden foods
6. only 1% partly-skimmed milk
7. never imagined I could drink so much water
8. learned not to give up when the plateau arrives (and it always does)
9. recognize that this is not a "diet" but a life-style change
10. fibre, fibre, fibre (for Americans - fiber, fiber, fiber)

There's way more than 10!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

This is a great idea
1. Don't drink regular soda
2. Plan what I eat for the most part
3. Journal what I eat.
4. Exercising at least 3-5x a week
5. I'm sleeping better
6. I can lift my kids up without groaning
7. I eat more fresh veggies
8. Changing my life for the better
9. Enjoy trying on clothes
10. For the most part given up butter. I use it sparingly. If I have a potato I use the I can't believe it's not butter spray.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:14 PM   #11  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Ok, here goes.......and I'll go on record as saying if I think of more after posting this, I'll freely return and gleefully repost away! and I can't be responsible for going over 10 -- I've made too many changes and don't want to keep my mouth shut about any of them!

1. I now log my food religiously using wonderful software that allows me to see ALL of my nutritional intake and track my metabolic rate and see areas for improvement.
2. I now eat 5-6 small, balanced, unprocessed meals per day.
3. I now know that every week, my daily food intake averages out to 40% lean protein/35% low glycemic carbs/25% (mostly) unsaturated fat.
4. I now do HIIT (high intensity interval training) cardio at least 3 times a week.
5. I now lift as heavily as I can in 3 day a week weight training, using both free weights and a Cross Bow.
6. I now drink a MINIMUM of 140 oz. of water every single day.
7. I now religiously, daily, take my vitamins and supplement with protein and some additional minerals.
8. I now keep my sodium intake below 2000 grams/day.
9. I now keep my saturated fat intake below 8 grams/day on a weekly average.
10. I now keep my sugar intake below 20 grams/day on a weekly average -- never adding sugar to anything.
11. I now always keep my fiber intake above 35 grams/day, but hit 50-60 grams about 3-4 days/week.
12. I now count my calories and understand serving sizes: my daily caloric average since March 1 is 1550.
13. I now intentionally consume yogurt with live yogurt cultures at least 4 times/week.
14. I now intentionally consume soybeans at least 3 times/week.
15. I now consciously take the longer route anywhere I'm walking, and take the stairs, and park farther, and offer to get things for anyone needing anyone to go to get anything......anything to add extra activity.
16. I no longer drink alcohol, and won't again until my weight is under control.
17. I now take an active role in my own development - to meet my goal to be a knowledgeable nutritional and fitness expert -- I'm not there yet, but I'm on my way and will always continue to seek out new opportunities to learn and develop.
18. I now seek out support and comradery from like-minded, positive, active people to help me stay focused and keep presence of mind.
19. I no longer drink soda -- diet or otherwise.
20. I no longer keep any junk food in my house.
21. I no longer reward myself with special food or great wine...I should have said by my avatar, "Ixnay the Iebray" or "Ixnay the OtMerlay!"

I did none of these things before, and was in denial about everything.

Last edited by lessofsarahtolove; 06-14-2004 at 01:32 PM.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:08 AM   #12  

Great thread Charbar - thanks for resurrecting it! So let's hope when we read this one again in 2 years time, we will be doing all these things and more......(gulp!).

So here are mine....

1) I eat lots of fruit and some vegetables every day
2) I don't eat pre-packaged processed food
3) I don't eat 'junk' food (crisps/chips, cakes, biscuits/cookies, sweets, or anything high sugar/high fat)
4) I don't overeat
5) I enjoy the food I do eat
6) I still eat out regularly, and I make healthy choices
7) I exercise 5/6 days a week
8) I enjoy shopping for clothes, for the first time in many many years
9) I take care of my body, get my hair cut/highlighted every couple of months and generally take much more care of the way I dress
10) I feel that these changes are an easy, sustainable lifestyle....not a 'diet' which I will stop when I reach goal
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 07:39 AM   #13  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

you guys have made some amazing changes!! these are all life changing. Good for you
Old 06-15-2004, 10:33 AM   #14  
Gonna fly now!

Wow, I'm really enjoying reading everyone's changes! I had all of mine typed in at lunchtime yesterday, was about to submit all 10 of them, and all of a sudden the program closed and I lost them all ~~~ AUUUGGGGHH! So I thought I would try again this morning ~ hope I can remember them all!

1. Exercise. This has been the biggest change and the most time consuming. But I am convinced that for me to lose it, I just gotta burn it off, baby! I go to Curves and jog / walk.

2. No more fast food two or three times a day, like I used to. and I've added in water, although that still takes a huge effort for me.

3. I've learned to cook a little bit more. I love the WW recipies they give you at meetings. . .and they sure are better than those WW recipies from the 70's that Jillegal mentioned! tee hee

4. I've become committed to this. . .regardless of how it feels at the time, even if I'm feeling whiny, deprived, jealous of people who don't have to do this, or weary about this weight loss journey. I come back and re-anchor when I fall (and we all do!)

5. I have come to believe in the "one-day-at-a-time" thing. I get up, stay within my limits, exercise, stay in control, and accumulate a good day. Then I get up the next day and do it again. Months of this, even allowing yourself a treat now and then, will give you results!

6. I have learned to start loving myself. Loving yourself is not really an emotion, but action. . .doing something for yourself that will give you happiness in the future. : And taking care of myself, my hair and nails, and taking time to dress well. And hey, it's also good to lighten up, have fun, and act like a kid again sometimes.

7. I have learned to accept compliments from other people about my weight loss, and I have tried to desensitize and not get cheesed off when someone sees me eating a "treat" and says, "that's not allowed on your diet!"

8. I have learned to be honest about my weight. I am now able to tell some close friends where I started and what I weigh now. Before, I felt such shame and embarassment I could not talk about it. . .but by doing so now, those friends have become a source of support for me along the way!

9. I have learned to, for once, consider what I want and need.

10. And most importantly for me, to keep my eyes on the Prize
Old 06-17-2004, 03:38 PM   #15  
Gonna fly now!

Anybody else out there want to share their changes? Let's learn from each other's great ideas!!!