South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 12:30 PM   #1  

Default Shark named Jack Daniels spotted at the Beach

I was doing so well...I was on a business trip all this week (week 2 of Phase I) and adhered to the diet as best as I could. But last night I went out with my roommates to celebrate one of them getting a new job and it happened. A glass of wine at dinner, low carb beer at the bar, straight to whiskey and diet coke to drown sorrows of recent break up. Help! How do I get back on? Do I start today as Day One again? I'm so dissapointed in myself.

Shannon
(watching Food TV and studying for the Bar exam miserably)

Last edited by VTprop; 06-12-2004 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-12-2004, 01:13 PM   #2  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTprop
How do I get back on? Do I start today as Day One again? I'm so dissapointed in myself.
First off, DON'T be disappointed in yourself -- we've all done it. I did it the other day, had two beers at a football game. What you need to do is take this, and learn from it... a little cheat will turn into a big one, so think of that when you're about to take a bite/sip.

As far as starting over, I have re-started the program after my slipup. Here's why (and others may disagree, but this is what I know):

My friend is doing her PhD in nutritional sciences. I told her about what happened and she explained that, in the first two weeks of this plan, your body goes into a state where it's burning fat for fuel because you're not giving it carbs. That kickstarts a chain of events, that allows you to add back carbs into your diet and still lose weight.

What you (and I) have done, is break that chain of events. So, if you just continue after this slip up and don't give yourself a full, cheat-free two weeks, you probably won't see the same kind of results as if you had done the full two weeks. Does that make sense? (This is what she told me, and it really resonated with me which is why I've re-started the plan from scratch. I'm on Ph1, Week 1, Day 2 right now.)

That said, you have to do what's right for you. And maybe you can keep losing if you head to PH2 anyway. You have to monitor your own body. If nothing happens, then you know you have to start fresh with Ph1. Or maybe just do one week of Ph1. It's all dependent on what your body responds to.

Just DON'T GIVE UP! The first two weeks ARE tough -- they're limiting for many of us, and it can be very hard. But a whole new world of food opens up in Ph2. And, don't forget, there are recipes and supports on this board to make those two weeks much more painless.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Old 06-12-2004, 01:15 PM   #3  

I found a shark - he was extra dirty had a few olives near him, and his name was Tangeray. (Maybe he was a sting ray.)

I washed down total pub grub with him - so back to phase 1 for me. oh well!
Old 06-12-2004, 01:46 PM   #4  

sooo... if I cheat while on Phase 1, it would be better to start all over again? that is enough incentive to keep me from cheating... I am on day 6, after tomorrow, I will be half way done.

thanks for the info,
lisa z.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:16 PM   #5  

Thank you all so much. It's wonderful to know that I'm not alone in this struggle. I hadn't even lost that much over the last two weeks but I feel healthier. Square one for me....yummy greek salad for lunch.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:13 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Failing is falling down and not getting up. You are up!
I'm drinking a low carb beer as I type!
Old 06-12-2004, 05:33 PM   #7  

My friend is doing her PhD in nutritional sciences. I told her about what happened and she explained that, in the first two weeks of this plan, your body goes into a state where it's burning fat for fuel because you're not giving it carbs. That kickstarts a chain of events, that allows you to add back carbs into your diet and still lose weight.

So does this mean that if we stall at any stage we can go right back to phase one for two weeks and drop another 8-13 pounds? This could be useful for some of us that are looking at many months of phase two. How does it work if we are low (good) carb anyway then switch to phase one for two weeks?
Old 06-13-2004, 03:17 AM   #8  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I too just met the shark named Jack. Ugh, I have no advice. Ugh. Let's just get back on the horse tomorrow, ok?
Old 06-13-2004, 12:48 PM   #9  
I graduated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_on_the_beach
So does this mean that if we stall at any stage we can go right back to phase one for two weeks and drop another 8-13 pounds? This could be useful for some of us that are looking at many months of phase two. How does it work if we are low (good) carb anyway then switch to phase one for two weeks?
Yes. It says in the books that you can spend more time on phase I if you want to, but the book admits that it's not easy and it's up to you. Me... I'm not real crazy about it but I've got a long way to go... so maybe later... I have 3 more days on phase one right now...

Old 06-13-2004, 12:55 PM   #10  
Pending Email Confirmation

Well know I know I need to kick it back ion high gear.. back to Phase one for me =D

That is okay, cause I didn't mind it at all.. I just have to get the support from my family, and my mom and I will just have to cool healthier meals =)

Anyways, it is okay to cheat once in awhile.. **** I did it every week (a small bag of chips, dip and some pop) and I still managed to lose weight..

Now imagine if I didnt have those chips.. I think that in itself is inncentive enough not to cheat =)
Old 06-13-2004, 03:35 PM   #11  

Hmmm ... I think I need to go back to phase one for a couple of weeks to kick start things again. I didn't mind the food on phase one, it is in the weekend when I am out and about and getting food on the run or eating out that I find it really difficult to stick to it.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:38 PM   #12  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_on_the_beach
In the book, Dr.A even says that some people switch back to Ph1 for some additional weight loss. And, some people even stay on Ph1 most of the time -- just because they like it and don't want or need the extra carbs.

And, lots of the ladies on the board here have said that, after a couple of off-plan days, they've gone back to Ph1 just to correct themselves.

SO, again, I think it's ALL about your own body and how it responds. Remember, if you've been on Ph2 for a while and not losing anymore, and you go back to Ph1, it doesn't mean you're going to have the same results as the first time (that 8-13lbs you talked about). There are SO many circumstances that contribute to weight loss, you never know what might happen.

You have to be patient. Remember, super-fast weight loss isn't healthy for your body... it can also cause saggy skin that does'nt tighten up if you go too fast (which can look pretty gross, depending where it is!!), and it's far harder to maintain. Slow and steady.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:59 PM   #13  

When you fell off the wagon, did you notice a bumpy patch? That was me getting run over by the wagon!
We went away for the weekend, and I spent 3 nights in a row drinking. I stayed away from the beer, but I think the smirinof coolers (more than 17 in 3 days...) kinda kicked me in the *** after all.
I'll be joining the phase 1 restart line too! It happens to most of us at least once (or 3 or 4 times!)
Old 06-14-2004, 12:13 AM   #14  
Pending Email Confirmation

lol Chubbamama.. Man, college is going to be really tough, and I am going to have to do phase 1 a bizillion times... it will be rough, but if i don;t gain the freshmen 15, I will be the happiest camper ever.

IMO it doesnt matter if you cheat, as long as you don't cheat everyday, you will still do fine.. That is just my opinion tho =)
Old 06-14-2004, 01:03 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalikat
IMO it doesnt matter if you cheat, as long as you don't cheat everyday, you will still do fine.. That is just my opinion tho =)
I'm going to be a jerk here, and disagree with that statement. Here's why.

This plan is made so that, if you DON'T cheat in Ph1, you'll see the benefits. Because, by the time you get to Ph2 and Ph3, some of those "cheat" foods are allowed.

Again, it's all about breaking the chain of metabolic events -- if you break them in Ph1, you're not going to lose the same or as effectively. And, just remember: Ph1 is only two weeks. Yes, it can be hard, but if you can be committed to those two weeks, it's so much easier from there on in.

So... I can't agree with your statement. Because one cheat leads to two, leads to three... then suddenly you're not only NOT losing, you're gaining, and that's not the point of this plan.

(kim hops off soapbox) hehe
Closed Thread