Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-11-2004, 05:05 PM   #1  

Default Whats your favorite exercise and why?

I am looking to spice things up a bit. I have a couple of the Tae Bo videos but I want to add some variety. What does everyone do to keep the pounds dropping? What do you like about your program? Thanks so much!!

Bethany
thinmom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:07 PM   #2  

For me, the key is doing different things. That's more productive in terms of weight loss, as well. My primary cardio exercise is walking, but I also use an elliptical about 1/3 of the time. Occasionally I'll also use a stationary bike or swim. Every once in a blue moon I'll use one of my low-impact cardio tapes, like Leslie Sansone or Susan Powter. Kathy Smith also has some GREAT workouts if you like more choreographed routines -- she even has a kickboxing workout that would be a good change-up from Tae Bo. For recreational exercise, I mostly go walking/hiking in one of the many wonderful parks in my area.

I also do weight training -- mostly at my fitness center, but occasionally with one of Kathy Smith's excellent videos. I also try to throw in yoga and/or pilates at least once a week. I like a particular yoga class at my fitness center, but also have some good videos by Gaiam and, yes, Kathy Smith.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:21 PM   #3  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

howdy my fav excersise is thai boxing. nothing beats it for fitness levels and energy burnt i'm training as a mixed martial arts fighter. so i do 2days or wrestling and 2 days of boxing training and mondays i do judo for my take downs. other than that skipping (jump rope) swimming and cycling. i like it cos its a different thing everyday and no two sessions are the same. if you like tae bo get yourself a bag and do rounds punching and kicking it when i started i could do 1 2min round and was dead.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

Default Favorite Exercise

Hi Bethany. I like to mix things up, too, like Funniegrrl said. I think it's good to do different activities so you don't get bored. I usually do what I feel like. I try to get in some kind of cardio 5 times a week. Nobody mentioned cycling outside...that is one of my favorites, especially this time of year. Of course, it depends on whether you have a bike or not. I also jog and walk at a brisk pace. I try to look for little races (like 5K) so I have a goal. I do different classes at my gym and do the weight machines. I have some yoga tapes (I used to be intimidated by Power Yoga, but now I am doing it more consistently and am enjoying it) and I have the Winsor pilates DVD. There are days when I just feel like stretching. I also have some weights and a step and like to use the Firm tapes. I get bored doing the same tapes over so I do different ones. The important thing is to listen to your body and to have fun!
Musicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 10:01 PM   #5  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up Great thread!

I have a pretty limited routine -- I have a Cross Bow and dumbbells for my weight training, and a treadmill and an exercise bike for cardio, so I like my options, but it this thread has got me thinking that I need to mix things up some! Thanks for asking this question, Bethany -- people here are doing some great stuff!

Interesting............
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 10:15 AM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Bethany, I think it's great that you want to try new things! It's good to shake up your metabolism.

I do a variety of things. I have a personal trainer whom I see once a week. He has me alternate 3 days cardio with 3 days weights.
I use the exercise bike, rowing machine, treadmill, eliptical, etc. Plus weights. And I use an exercise ball. And do yoga.
We used to do the Tai-bo tapes, and loved them!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 02:47 PM   #7  
I climb mountains!

Thumbs up Well, hello there, Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-150
Sarah, You have some very nice equipment. Is this at home? How frequently and for how long do you work out? I've always wanted to try out one of those crossbows. Looks pretty cool on TV. Do you find it useful and satisfying? Have you used free weights or conventional resistance machines in the past to compare it with them? Sorry so many questions!
Good luck on that goal I'm pulling for you!
Thanks for the well wishes on the goal, kind sir -- I absolutely will do it; there's not a doubt in my mind! Now, whether I do it as quickly as I'd like will remain to be seen!

Yes, I'm both happy and grateful to report that the equipment is in my very own home. I had been doing cardio 3-4 times a week, but have just recently incorporated weight training, so now I'm on a 3 days weights/3 days cardio routine. The weights take me 45-55 minutes (because I'm still setting my initial lift weights with each new daily routine -- then I should be down to 40.) The cardio is usually 20 minutes HIIT (so I'm completely spent) but sometimes I'll do some additional LSD (long slow distance) biking, just to kill some calories without the metabolic boost. (Like a 5 on the exertion scale.)

The Cross Bow that you've seen on TV is undoubtedly the Platinum model; mine is the Advantage, which is the basic model -- still very good, but fewer bells and whistles. I love it, and don't mind at all that it's not digital (so I have to manually change the bows.) I didn't really have much to compare it to prior to using it, as I had only tried out a couple of Nautilus machines years ago, but I did an enormous amount of research on it prior to ordering it. There are some message boards and fitness sites which provided a huge amount of user comparison info -- and I combed through literally thousands of user comments and reviews from people who had plenty of weight training exp. and basis for comparison. The bottom line: it's a good machine with a good warranty and good quality. It's great for upper body and ab workouts, and ok for lower. (I haven't tried the rowing machine yet for cardio, so I can't yet report on that.) You can do 65+ exercises on it, work up a good sweat, and the resistance is smooth and most of us consider it pretty consistent, although not all agree. You also have to use your stabilizer muscles as you do with free weights, and you can lift heavy without a spotter, so those are some other important features. The body builders say that you can get a good pump on it, but apparently it's not quite as effective for building mass as free weights. I'd imagine that it would be terrific to have as a home machine to augment your brute gym training. I could go on and on, but if you're interested in it (mine was $599 including shipping, and I'll make zero interest $35 monthly payments till it's paid off and I had it within 2 weeks of order) I'd check out a message board at Yahoo Groups called Weider Cross Bow.....there's a wealth of info plus lotsa links to other great resources.

My resistance routine is with a combination of the CB and free weights; I use the dumbbells for squats (although I could use the CB for them) and lunges and deadlifts and a couple more exercises; the rest I do on the CB. I'd highly recommend it for the price. It's a great machine and I have no complaints. (And neither do some experienced weightlifters and licensed personal trainers that I talk to on that message board at Yahoo.)

I needed a machine that wouldn't take over my basement, that allowed for a safe, effective, full body workout, and didn't cost an arm and a leg. I would comfortably recommend it.

Sorry this was so long -- I had lots to say, apparently!
Old 06-19-2004, 08:45 PM   #8  
banned

Tae Kwon do! It's soo fun, unlike Curves and working out at the Y, which were very boring. I need a structured class, but one that actually isn't the same thing over and over. Every class I take is broken up differently. The Master tries to keep it interesting, and he succeeds.
Quinadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 09:18 PM   #9  
banned

3 months now. I wasn't able to go for 3 weeks because I tore my achilles tendon a little bit doing a roundhouse.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:23 PM   #10  
banned

The only one. I'm going to try bo class this week though. And I got the original tae bo work outs this week to do when I can't get to class.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:54 PM   #11  
banned

I started at 330 lbs 1.5 yrs ago. I lost 59 lbs on Atkins and I stalled. I wasn't doing any exercise at all then, so I tried weights, and then Curves. But they were so boring like I said, so I gave up after about a month into them. My friend is really into martial arts, and he talked me into TKD.
My goal weight is 200, but I intend to keep going with TKD and get as high as I can in belts.
The only other exercise I do is the tae bo, and I work 12 hr nite shift as an LPN in a hospital
Old 06-19-2004, 11:26 PM   #12  
WW Moderator

Sarah, I remember when you were waiting on the Cross Bow - glad you have it now! I'm still wavering between that and BowFlex. Well, I'm probably not buying new. I'm watching the paper to find one that has been a nice clothes hanger for somebody, cheaper and partially assembled.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 12:10 AM   #13  
I climb mountains!

Smile Hey there, Jennifer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC
Sarah, I remember when you were waiting on the Cross Bow - glad you have it now! I'm still wavering between that and BowFlex. Well, I'm probably not buying new. I'm watching the paper to find one that has been a nice clothes hanger for somebody, cheaper and partially assembled.
Hi! I love my Cross Bow! I'll have to get the 100- or 200-pound upgrade, because I'm already maxed out on the legs with some exercises -- but other than that, I'm very happy! (I'm debating between "upsizing" to the Platinum that comes standard with 100 more pounds, or just paying outright for the additional bows. We'll probably end up going with the Platinum -- comes standard with 100 more pounds -- since the warranty covers picking it up from our home free of charge and the newer model has a nice squat station as well -- not to mention that trainer gizmo.......and the price for it would be $100 more than the extra bows! The assembly wasn't NEARLY the nightmare I'd been led to expect -- only like 3 hours and not rocket science.) Whichever route we take, I feel good about our choice of brand.

Great idea getting the machine used....I love that! I got a great deal on my treadmill at Play it Again Sports. Best luck to you whichever brand you end up with and I hope you get a good deal on a great machine!
Old 06-20-2004, 12:46 AM   #14  
WW Moderator

I'm thinking I read there were problems with some of the platinum buttons - and then they had to pack it up and send it back. That is what scares me. Repacking! I can't even pack a blanket back in it's plastic case from Target. I'd never get the Crossbow in a box.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 01:01 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

We're getting our crossbow soon, we were going to order it this week and make payments but we've decided to wait til August and Pay it in full and not have payments hanging over our head. So untill then I'm dumbbelling it lol! I can't wait though I am so excited!! Sarah and Jennifer we can all be crossbow buddies lol. Yikes I'm getting corny probably time to hit the sack!
Sleep well Girls!!
Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote