South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 06:44 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Torrid Tuesday Chat - June 8

I mean it's HOT this morning, not anything else. The sun was a fireball when it came up and it's warm in the house already. The deck is nice though so come and join The Girls and I for coffee.

I didn't manage the whole day out in the garden but did get lots planted. I am drooling thinking of my little green filet beans by mid-July! (Summertime spoils me with fresh veggies and then I have a problem with them when we start to eat imported ones in the Fall.) It was very hot out there by 11 so I quit. Sarah was supposed to come to work but her cold has really settled in. It's just as well because working a full day would have been brutal!

Sorry I don't have time to comment on everyone's post but life's a bit of a mess these days in some ways. Harry is needing lots of extra care and is trying my patience a bit. So sad! I am still working on getting extra respite coverage so I can get a day away. Four hours just doesn't cut it when grocery shopping is a ½ hour drive each way!

I have someone coming at 8 to measure for more window replacements. After enjoying the new kitchen ones, I've decided to do the rest of the downstairs! Gail will be pleased and so will I.

I'm off to crank up the rest of the day. Enjoy!
Old 06-08-2004, 07:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Ruth, and all you other Beach Beauties!

It's a bit chilly here this morning, but supposed to heat up to 88 later. I'm starting my morning with tea, Ruth, but will enjoy coffee later with breakfast. I hope you can find some competent help to give you a break with your DH. I know how important it is for you to just get away for a while. My Mom took care of her mother, then again just recently for her bachelor brother, and it was really really rough, both mentally and physically. There has to be a special place in heaven for caretakers of the sick.

After Curves this morning, I'm going to get my delphiniums and speedwell planted. Our gardens are starting to look really good this year. After a lot of trial and error, we have learned a lot. We still haave to work on putting some color in the shade garden though. Most of the plants are green, or bloom in early spring, then no color all summer. I like lots of bold colors.

Speaking of Curves, I'd better haul myself over there. I'll try to check in again later.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:22 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

You know what keeps really well in the fridge, Ruth? Snow peas. I bought a packet about four months ago, and they're still lookin' pretty good. I really must clean out that fridge...
Oh, Ruth... I know you're going through such a difficult time. Lots of love and hugs for you and dear Harry. You know you're always in my prayers.

Cottage, I have such a hard time with delphiniums. In fact, I don't see many people growing them up here... Have a great workout!

Rushing around... going to get Dad over to see our family doctor today...
I hope everyone has a wonderful day!!
Old 06-08-2004, 08:37 AM   #4  

hello everyone!!!
well dd did great yesterday at the amusement park, i had my doubts around 2pm when she called me at work on someones cell phone and asked "mom is it ok if i go bungee jumping???" she went with our church group, and she said sr. agnes was gonna go with her how much safer can you be??? bungee jumping with a nun?? so i said go for it. she is one gutsy kid. ds managed allright at home also no damage done. i found out later in the day why i was feeling like scrambled eggs, TOM showed up unannounced!!! grrrr.

it is supposed to be hot and humid here today so i'm glad to be at work with the a/c on.
ruth- hope you find some extra help soon, hang in there you are doing a wonderful job!!

ellis- good luck with dad at the dr. today. it's good to see you relaxed last night with a couple of beers. BTW i nearly spit out my coffee when i read your post, tell it like it is!!!!

cottage have fun at curves!!!
to everyone else have a great day!!!!
Old 06-08-2004, 09:23 AM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Good morning, Beach chickies!

Ellis, you had me busting out with your comment about yoga. I suppose it is less fragrant en plein aire? And sheesh about that dweeb...I get people like that at work all the time. "I have to have my resume together by tomorrow. Could you take a look at my rough draft and fix it by tonight?" Grrrrr! That really gets my goat! I hope you were able to tell the dweeb to do some looking around and come to you (or better, yet, the forum!) with specific questions. We all have them, but asking specific questions is much better than asking someone else (someone who has ENOUGH already going on in her life!) to do all the work for you!

Jenn, sorry that you had such a bad experience at lunch. I really fear going out for just that reason! I know that I need to get over it, but having a meal that I'm not excited about really puts me in a funk. Likewise, if I have a delicious meal to look forward to, I am super excited! Sheesh! I hope that you get some say in where the meal is next time! Do your coworkers know you are dieting? Maybe they could be a bit more understanding in their choices for restaurants if they knew. Ruby Tuesday has several SBD appetizers and also has awesome drinks for those not dieting. Good compromise for big groups. Just a thought. Sounds like you had a great game, though. Talk about lots of exercise!

Jodi, you are killing me with the image of your dd and Sr. Agnes bungee jumping! That is too funny! Glad she had a good time. Totally feel you on the TOM thing. I've been a bundle of nerves and snapping at DH...due to an early TOM. I somehow skipped a pill in there and I guess that started me off early. *sigh* Don't you hate being controlled by hormones? :

It is supposed to be a big hot one today. Watered the roses before I left. The new one I planted has three fat buds that are starting to burst open. It's a double delight, and I can't wait to smell those roses! : My mom has always had one, and I love them, so couldn't resist spending the huge amount the plant cost.

The boss and two coworkers are out of the office today, so I'm wearing more casual clothes and feel much more settled than normal. My boss is such a drama queen, and when he's here, he stirs up so much. It's nice when he is gone. :

We're having the pork tenderloin recipe from the SBD cookbook without the clams (hate seafood) tonight, so I get to have a starch with lunch. I think I'll have a pita with spicy chicken, lettuce, tomato, and tzatziki sauce. Yum!!!

Got some sugar-free chai mix yesterday. It has no transfats and is 50 cals. I figure I can treat myself to it with milk if I only have jello for my desserts. That would be a tough call, but I kept smelling the chai mix last night and it smells soooo good! Might be a decent sacrifice!

Have a great day on the hot beach!
Old 06-08-2004, 09:37 AM   #6  

Morning chickies!

Ellis You mean you are not our personal SBD assistant? Geez... I am so out of here!

Ruth Hope your day with Harry goes well. I am sure that is so draining.

Laurie As always, your meal descriptions make me drool! I am trying several new recipes this week. I made the Baked Carribean Chicken with Mango last night and it was really good. Do you think that regular 'ole taco seasoning is "safe"? I was going to make tacos tonight (WW tortillas, of course) and figured that since the seasoning is all spices it should be fine. Any thought?

Jenn I think the social situations are the hardest part of dieting. I love my beer and wine, and that is one of the hardest things for me adjust to.

I survived yesterday morning at the preschool. There were only 3 kids there, and one was my daughter. I am doing the afternoon shift today, which I hope will be relatively easy. Naptime, snack, and then some serious playdoh time, b/c it is raining like crazy here, so the backyard will be too muddy. My DH was so cute yesterday, you could tell she was really proud that I was her "teacher". We have one neat kid, let me tell ya! (Remind of that when she is 16 and we are pulling our hair out!)

Later chicks!
Old 06-08-2004, 09:43 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Karen, sounds like you did great at the preschool! Good for you! It must be nice to spend some extra time with your dd.

I really liked that chicken with mango recipe, too! It was super spicy, though. Good for me, but a warning for those who don't like heat. I think the regular taco seasoning would be fine, but check it for trans fats (anything reading "hydrogenated"). I bought a box of vegetarian taco filling to try this week. We'll see if it tastes good...it sounds a little bit scary, but the ingredients are all SBD safe.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:16 AM   #8  

laurie,
i absolutely admire your creative meal planning, and you make everything sound so delicious. i really need to follow your lead and pour through the cookbook i find my menu to get boring so quickly. what is chai mix??? is that a kind of tea type drink?? glad your office is more relaxed today it makes a difference when there is no one there looking over your shoulder. i know what you mean about sr. agnes and the bungee jump i thought right away about the flying nun reruns i used to watch.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:19 AM   #9  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Hey chickies I have about 2 minutes to post. I am still not feeling that great but managed to sleep most of the night. Got up this morning planning on doing H*ll and all as I really have not done to much since I have been sick,when I recieved a phone call asking when we were doing the kids grad hats thats when it hit me that we have 28 hats to do by monday and we don't even have the supplies bought yet, on top of that I am trying to get 28 year books done for the kids as well plus I have to finish taking the pictures. Then I have to order the cake. Why do I plan all this things then with being sick it all slipped my mind it all has to be done by monday morning with the exception of the year book I have to Tuesday morning to finish that. Plus I have one dd who is off to camp friday morning and the other who is off to her cousins friday night. Anyhoo thanks for listening to me rant and rave. Ellis my love take care of yourself. I think you should have a few more beers before you answer the pm. And thanks for telling me I am sexy. . Ruthie you take care of yourself too. I hope you can get some more help for Harry. Oh dam I have to go now the phone is ringing and the kids are calling for me. Sorry to the rest of you chicks I will try to get back in later. If not then watch for an sos I maybe under pounds of bristol board, tassels and glue. Got run, have a great day.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:40 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Wish I was nearby, LC, I would be there in a flash to help! What a load of work for you to do! I hope that everything comes together in a flash and by the time you crawl out from under, you realize that you feel much better! Lots of good health and deadlines met quickly vibes coming your way! : Little Chick :

Hi, Jodi! Thanks! I just love food and enjoy a lot of variety. I get bored pretty quickly. In fact, poor DH gets stuck with my many leftovers as I tend to make five to six different dishes a week with no time to eat up the leftovers! Thankfully, he is a little food vacuum cleaner and gets rid of them in no time. I also find that I rarely go back to things that we loved, so that's something I need to do more often. I'm so busy trying new things that I skip the old faves, and DH misses them.

Chai is heavenly stuff! They said several years ago that it would become the new cappucino, but that didn't quite happen. However, you can find it in most coffee places now. It's black tea with a ton of great spices...think it is ginger, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, etc. Think of the same spices in a pumpkin pie and make it into a creamy hot drink with tea as it's base. That chai tea! Yummmmmm! You can get mixes that are dry or wet ones that you just mix with milk. This one happens to be dry. The brand is "Sweet Sippers" and I just found it at Weis market, a chain here in upstate NY. If you get a chance to try Chai, go for it. Very, very good!
Old 06-08-2004, 11:41 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Ellis - This is the first time we planted delphiniums, so we are hoping for the best. I was always afraid of them, but they are so pretty. Some of the ones we got claim to be "easy to care for, summer bloomers" so it will be an experiment for us.

Jodi - How did your DD like bungee jumping? She is one gutsy kid, the thought of it just scares me to death! I had to chuckle at the thought of doing it with a nun, although I know most of them don't wear the old-fashioned habits today.

Little Chick - Sounds like your plate is full these days. Sorry that you're not feeling up to par yet.

Beachgal - You can come and cook dinner for us anytime! I love hearing what your menu is for the day. I keep looking through the cookbook, but haven't tried out many of the recipes, even though they sound good. Most of the time I just have enough time to throw something together fast. Like today for instance, I'll be babysitting from 3 to 8pm, so I'm making turkey burgers and grilled veggies before I go.

Well, I cleaned the house and got some gardening done before it gets too hot. Another nanny I get together with regularly just called and said bring the kids over to spend the afternoon at their pool with the kids she takes care of , so that will be a nice way to spend the rest of the day. I must remember to watch "Made In America" tonight. They are doing a bit on Longaberger baskets. I'm addicted to the baskets, and have been to Dresden, Ohio several times (we're going again in Oct.), so I'm eager to see the show.
I just remembered what I forgot at the grocery store yesterday, so I have to run over there before lunch. Have a great day, everyone!
Old 06-08-2004, 11:57 AM   #12  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Hi all

work is hectic -- I briefly read -- hugs to Ruth -- and yes they know I am dieting. Apparently, it does not matter. Or at least I didn't speak up.

I made those choices on the drinking, and now I must live with them, ugh. I woke up late this morning. I had to get to work asap for a meeting so I had cashews [probably too many] for breakfast and that's been it. Must go out and find lunch. Sometimes, I get soo frustrated.

Or this could just be my over a week TOM talking. I can't believe I still have it. I only get it for 48 hours of lightness regularly. No money for the Dr. either [as well as groceries]. Who knows where I am getting lunch from! This stinks, stinks, stinks!

Have a better day than me all...
Old 06-08-2004, 12:29 PM   #13  
RNMOM

Default Hi from the land of the Grand ole Opry

I go home tomorrow. I think I'll be more excited to see me scale than my hubby. I've MISSED my scale!!!! I only have 1 more month until my goal date and I'm really wanting to make that!

Ruth-thoughts and prayers are going your way. Respite is a great program. You need to take care of you, cause no one else does.

You all sound like your doing great. Busy, hot, chicks! Hope you all have a great day. Tomorrow at this time I'll be on my way back home..........to my scales.....sniffff snifff
Old 06-08-2004, 03:00 PM   #14  

Hi -
I also have like 2 seconds. I had to go to the hospital last night b/c I cut my eye. Not all that pleasant. B/c work is so crazy I still had to come in.

Ruth - you're absolultely in my prayers.

hugs to everyone else who needs one.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:50 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Jenn, I'm sorry you're having a heck of a day! Hope you can get some good groceries and soon! Jenn, I know this is funny suggestion, considering your sexual orientation, but have you thought about going to Planned Parenthood? You pay on a sliding scale there based on your income, and the cost is very, very cheap. I actually went to them for several years because their fees were less than our copay through insurance. Ours was great and very well staffed with knowledgeable people. You might

RNmom, you are cracking me up about your scale! I hope you get a private moment with it when you get home.

Cottage, I would love to cook for more people! We always have so many darn leftovers! With me on this one starch a day, I can't eat them for lunch, so they just sit!

I think it would be great to have a dinner club with other SBDers, but I don't know any in my area. In lieu of that, we should all meet for Dim sum in Ottawa, methinks!
Closed Thread