Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-26-2004, 01:55 PM   #1  
on my way down!

Default Running question...

I just wondered if anyone could help me?

I have just started running at night when i get home from work and am only managing about 10 mins at the moment before im back at my door step puffing and panting...so my question is while im building that up so that i can last longer do you think the 10 mins im doing each night will help any?? Alsong with the 10 minutes running (pathetic i know!) i also power walk my greyhounds for about 20 minutes too.

Any opinions would be welcomed!!
Toryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 05:15 PM   #2  

Default running

hi,
i don't think jogging for ten minutes is pathetic at all!
i'm not a fitness expert but i've done some research so this is what i learned.

don't run so hard that you are so exausted when you get home. you could try interval training...it works well for increasing your stamina and endurance. try something along these lines and adjust it for your present fitness level
walk for a couple minutes at moderate pace (a little faster than a stroll)
then walk just a little faster but still moderately for another minute
now either walk quickly or jog slowly for 1 minute
slow down to a moderate walk for 3 to 5 minutes until you are not out of breath and are feeling comfortable again
quick walk or slow jog for another minute
repeat this for 20 to 30 minutes or less if you can't go that long
but if you rest well between spurts and go at your own pace you should be able to go that long...listen to your body

as you get more fit decrease your walking to jogging ratio
ex:2min walk:1 minjog
3mins walk: 2 mins jog and so on
it's important for you to go slow and steady and keep at it
you will stick with your plan longer and you wont get injured
you could even do this as you walk your dog if it's big enough and your dog will benefit too!
good luck
i hope this helps
gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:46 AM   #3  
on my way down!

oh thats great thanks so much for the information!! I really appreciate it
Old 05-27-2004, 07:00 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I agree with Gen... This is how I have worked myself up to 30 minutes of jogging, but on a treadmill , I still haven't mastered jogging outside yet, I prefer to bike .... I keep trying tho... Good luck!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:33 PM   #5  
on my way down!

Thanks I managed to make 15 minutes today which i was quite please about! Also my mother in law (to be!) comented on my weight loss which really gave me a boost
Old 05-28-2004, 04:08 AM   #6  
Open 24 hours

Default Yay!

I agree, jogging for ten minutes is great, youve got most of the battle right there! Anything you can do helps, and building up is a good approach because youll get there without getting hurt or strained, which will keep you able to run. Great job for just getting out the door, thats the hardest part for me

Dewy
Mt Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 08:33 PM   #7  

Smile Running...

I started a running clinic about 7 weeks ago. My goal in the end was to be able to run 5km. My 5km run is next weekend. I went from being tired running 1 min and walk 1 x7 to being able to run for 32 mins. There are a number of running programs on the web. If you go to the Running Room's web site they have the Run for the Cure Training program under EVENTS then Pink Ribbon Sports then Training. Download the brochure (PDF) for the training program. If you do a search on the web you'll be able to find other clinics.
karjala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:22 AM   #8  

coolrunning (dot) com has a GREAT beginner program to get you running a 5k in less than 3 months. It combines walking/running intervals until you build up your stamina. It got me running @ 90 seconds on my first day and being able to run 30 minutes straight w/in 2 months. Check it out
hereznay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:39 PM   #9  

I've gone from barely being able to jog for 5 minutes to being able to run 5 - 6 miles over the past couple of years. Everyone has great suggestions. I've had the most success using intervals of walking and jogging to build up my stamina. Right now I'm in training for a half marathon and I just keep telling myself that the point is to finish, I don't need to be fast.

10 (or 15) minutes is a great start and it will make a big difference if you keep working slowly to build up your stamina. Running not only shapes my body, it helps me manage my stress and keeps me in a good mood.
katia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:31 AM   #10  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Tory..

I just started running in March and I used a Couch to 5K program. In 9 weeks I am up to running a full 30 minutes now!

here is a link for you to the program:Couch-to-5K
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:20 PM   #11  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Karen,

I'm going to try that same program My question to you (or other running experts out there) is:

If running on a treadmill, what did you start out your "walk" speed at, and then what did you set your "jog" speed at?

I was thinking 3 mph walk and 5 mph jog... looks like the Couch to 5K program gets you up to 6 mph (or 3 miles in 30 minutes) after 9 weeks interval training.

Thanks!
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #12  

Sarah, my walk setting usually starts out at 3.0, then I gradually take it up to about 3.7. with the incline set at 1.5 - 2.5. The jogging speed is about 4.5 - 5.5, but I could probably get it faster if my left leg would cooperate (pronating, slightly twisted). I'm going to get a gait analysis at a running store next week. A real running store, a place where the clubs meet, has a lot of info on this stuff.
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:39 PM   #13  
I'm a Jovi Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkshireGrl
Karen,

I'm going to try that same program My question to you (or other running experts out there) is:

If running on a treadmill, what did you start out your "walk" speed at, and then what did you set your "jog" speed at?

I was thinking 3 mph walk and 5 mph jog... looks like the Couch to 5K program gets you up to 6 mph (or 3 miles in 30 minutes) after 9 weeks interval training.

Thanks!
Hi Sarah!

i use the TM and I start my walk at 3.0 and bump it up .5 mph every minute to 4.0. then once the 5 minute warm up is done I jog at 4.5-5.0 for the period of time I need to. I graduated the program, and still only run 30 minutes at 4.5-5.0 It averages to about 2.85 miles in 40 minutes (Includes the warm up and cool down)

I am now working up increasing my time and distance at this pace, then I will work on pace. Join us on the newbie forums for lots more info and help! I am a regular at the Pre-Dawn Patrol thread...
Old 06-07-2004, 10:11 PM   #14  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Seek & Karen,

Thank you for your replies! I went for my first day today... wow is all I can say. That running stuff is a real true workout! I am impressed!! I am also seeing I could LOVE it when I get in better shape I could tell my body was like "OHMIGOD SHE'S *RUNNING*! We haven't seen that in YEARS Winston! What do you think she will do next?!"

I walked at 2.8-3, and jogged at 4.5-5. I started out at the higher speeds but my heart rate got a bit scary (200 bpm) and I started to feel a little tunnel-vision... so I took it down a few notches! But afterwards I felt great, and I am still keyed up from it and I left the YMCA at 6:30. It's going to be tough to go to bed and get up at 5 AM! Gotta work at 7 AM, ick! and I like to take my time in the mornings. Though I might just go the coffee and peanut butter toast route Tuesday morn.

On my non-jogging days, I'm going to do a tiny 10-minute row then Nautilus weights to add some muscle into my flab

Slow and steady... Thanks again! Ok, I'm going to go lay in bed now and think of sheep jumping over a fence or something! Maybe wearing small track suits...
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 09:41 AM   #15  
I'm a Jovi Girl

Sarah! make sure you take it slow! Pace yourself at 4.5 or below if you have to. Everyone one is different. At 4.5 I am actually running... I have short legs. Once you have a eek or two under you belt, you will see the cardio vascular difference, and you might be able to increase your speed.

You did a great job! Congrats!!