Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 01:29 PM   #1  
Cheryl

Default Breakfast Ideas and Recipes

Breakfast is the most hurried meal of my day. We take care of the horses in the morning, then I have to rush off to work.

What good (quick) breakfast ideas do you folks have? Anything I can make (night before would be great) and take would be great! What OTC breakfast bars are good? Better?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2004, 05:43 PM   #2  

Talking May sound weird but I think its yummy

Hi! When I am in a hurry in the morning I mix a cup of nonfat cottage cheese and a container single serving of my favorite 99% fat free yogurt with fruit I mix the two and it really is better than you would think. It is super fast, fills me up and if I have to take it with me it goes in one bowl with a spoon and I'm set when I get to work.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:08 PM   #3  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I don't do breakfast much but if I'm in a hurry and want breakfast I will stop at McDonalds and get and egg mcmuffin. They are only 300 calories and 12 grams of fat.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:15 PM   #4  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

another poster here turned me on to oatmeal uncooked, soaked in milk for a lil' while. super yummy i add a lil' brown sugar and raisins ..
i also like a peanut butter and banana sandwich super fast and fills me up while giving me energy.
my problem is i don't like breakfast. i am more of a cup of tea and a smoke kinda girl ( unhealthy i know) but i try and make myself eat.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:25 AM   #5  
Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmyself
Hi! When I am in a hurry in the morning I mix a cup of nonfat cottage cheese and a container single serving of my favorite 99% fat free yogurt with fruit I mix the two and it really is better than you would think. It is super fast, fills me up and if I have to take it with me it goes in one bowl with a spoon and I'm set when I get to work.
Doesn't sound that weird. I like cottage cheese and pineapple anyway. Hmm... hadn't thought of cottage cheese. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2004, 11:42 PM   #6  
Tons of fun!!!!

I am definitely not a breakfast person so I just use carnation instant breakfast or slim fast......they are pretty much the same thing. You just mix it with skim milk or fat free milk, and gulp it down. I can drink it right before I am off for work. It has a lot of vitamins and minerals and is surprisingly filling, cuz its thick.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:26 AM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Make pancakes the night before, the next day slap peanut butter on one & jelly on the other, put them together like a sandwich & nuke them for 30 sec.

Morningstar Farms Breakfast patties are fast, so is 'poaching' an egg in the microwave. About 3 minutes on High, a little water in the bowl first, can season it w/whatever you like. Dont forget to prick the yolk, or it will explode.

Last edited by SuchAPrettyFace; 05-14-2004 at 01:37 AM. Reason: yolk explosion
Old 05-14-2004, 11:19 AM   #8  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Teeny tiny shredded wheets and a mix of dried fruits - blueberry, sour cherry, cranberry - and chopped nuts - Sainsbury's breakfast mix = slivered almonds, nibbed something elses and slightly sugared walnuts, very tasty - all topped off with half fat milk.

I can't stand any breakfasts - the thought of chewing before Noon makes me feel ill - but I am persevering with this one!!!
Old 05-18-2004, 04:51 PM   #9  

I have made whole wheat pancakes and put them in freezer bags in the freezer. Then you can pop them in the toaster like frozen waffles and they are done FAST!
Old 05-19-2004, 12:41 AM   #10  
my dad made me1 from wood

i make half a cinnamon rasin bagel in the morning with fat free cream cheese
get a bag a put shredded frosted mini wheats in it u can if i want milk to i put it in a old water squeeze bottle and drink it with the mini wheats
breakfast bars are great i found a special k one that have 90 calories and 2grams fat and it filling too and now they have those ones ceral bars with the milk in them hehe i had one it was a fruit loops one and it was great dunno bout cals but it had 3grams of fat.
ALL OF THOSE SOUND LIKE GREAT IDEAS I MIGHT TRY A FEW, Heather
Old 05-19-2004, 07:04 AM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

I'm the one who loves the soaked oatmeal in milk!! Along with that I have an eggwhite omelette...This is a staple for me...but it does take a few minutes unless you would lmake your omelette the night before and reheat it...
Cottage cheese, yogurt and fruit are delicious I have it all the time as a meal/snack...
so is a peanut butter on dense whole wheat bread with a banana, but not too much PB it's good for your health but very high fat with little protein... I keep away from meal replacement bars or SlimFast drinks they are ladden with hidden sugars because when I eat sugary stuff it makes me sleepy and these products do that to me...I prefer to make my own bars... Here is Mel's from LWL recipe:
Pumpkin Protein Bars

8 egg whites
1/2 C low fat cottage cheese
2 C oats
1 C canned pumpkin
4 scoops vanilla protein powder
1/2 C water
1/2 C splenda
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, mace, ginger…)
1 tsp baking soda

Mix together in blender and pour in 9 x 12 pan. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Cut into 6 bars for a complete 240 calorie meal.

Well looking at the clock here it's almost time for MY breakfast...TTFN...
Old 05-20-2004, 09:54 PM   #12  

I love nonfat yogurt and cottage cheese. I add ground flax and/or wheat germ for that yummy carb comfort. I have that for my mid morning snack about every day.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:44 AM   #13  
missaprylj

Sometimes in a pinch I have Healthy Choice dinners for breakfast. Microwave for 7 minutes.... 300 calories/7grams of fat. Or Lean Pockets, they're about the same.
Pair one of those up with some fresh fruit/veggies and call it a breakfast!

Old 05-24-2004, 06:23 PM   #14  

I can never go without my coffee but if I am in a real hurry I get a yogurt and 1/4 cup of granola and mix it up. If I do not have granola I grab a granola bar. Does me good!
Or Smoothies! Make enough for 2 in a blender so you have breakfast for 2 mornings. If I add protein powder it fills me up for awhile!
Old 05-28-2004, 12:55 PM   #15  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

We make small pancakes ( about the size of your palm) and eat them cold the next day with butter and sugar free jam or butter and a slice of low-fat cheese. Sounds weird but it is a Scottish thing handed down from my mum

Even having a piece of fruit like an apple or a pear with some low-fat cheese is good if you are eating on the run.

The pre mixed cans of Slimfast are a good option if you need something to take with you or how about some low-fat homemade muffins. I sometimes make a dozen and freeze them. I take out a couple the night before so they are ready to go in the morning.

I have also been know to bring peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to work for breakfast
Closed Thread